Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:35:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2635129 times)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: April 28, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »

Here is a little something I'm working on, having trouble coding the tile engine and stuff for it, a wip so it's MOSTLY a mockup for now.

Holy carp
Revk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4741 on: April 28, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »

Those pine trees and ground dirt reminds me of Warcraft II  Kiss. Good times. Keep it up man. 
knotty spine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: April 28, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »

Addicted Hand Knife Right

Animating something like this >> Outraged << would take hours, maybe even days of work.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4743 on: April 29, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »

Hyptosis have you seen Goblin Camp?  http://www.goblincamp.com/  It's like you've made the ideal tileset for that game.

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: April 29, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »

fighting alien robots on a suspiciously long set of crane beams

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:32:42 PM by Landshark RAWR » Logged

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4745 on: April 29, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »

fighting alien robots on a suspiciously long set of crane beams

The time is ripe for MAPPY LAND redux.

DOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEET  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Tears of Joy
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: April 29, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »

The idea is a shmup but your vertical movement is limited to the four rails

but this mappy land game changes everything

(also i updated the mock with another enemy and rails for the second area)

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4747 on: April 30, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »

The idea is a shmup but your vertical movement is limited to the four rails

Oh this idea is even better!

Also, main character with a ghetto blaster for a head == gnarly!
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: April 30, 2012, 01:03:52 PM »

Low-res horror. Not dark enough. Tongue

Rasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: April 30, 2012, 01:44:17 PM »

I like it.

Here's small mockup I made inspired by all these awesome mockups posted in this thread. Keep them coming. Toast Left

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4750 on: April 30, 2012, 02:39:13 PM »

Very tasty. Go on...

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: April 30, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »

would play
Dave_C
Level 0

Retrophile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4752 on: April 30, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »

ah man that looks really cool, I'm liking the super low res in 3D.. my first 3D console was n64 (nintendo fanboy all my life aw yeah) so I never really got to play pixelated 3D games .. just blurry ones..XD do you think you will finish this?

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: April 30, 2012, 04:09:10 PM »

ah man that looks really cool, I'm liking the super low res in 3D.. my first 3D console was n64 (nintendo fanboy all my life aw yeah) so I never really got to play pixelated 3D games .. just blurry ones..XD do you think you will finish this?

Nah, not really. I don't know a single line of code so I will just work on it until I hit a wall, lol! I wish thought...  Smiley

FuurioBR
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: April 30, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »

Nah, not really. I don't know a single line of code so I will just work on it until I hit a wall, lol! I wish thought...  Smiley

I think you can use a modern engine with low res models/textures, like Unity, UDK, Cryengine...
It's easy to use, and there's a lot of tutorials on youtube!
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: April 30, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »

Nearest neighbor
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4756 on: May 01, 2012, 12:21:15 AM »

Nearest neighbor
Sadly, unfiltered resampling has a bunch of names on a bunch of engines. Some engines have textures set up separately to materials and resampling is actually set on import (unity), some use materials that can read from global settings (ogre, if I remember correctly), some don't have a material thing and you just set what you want OGL/DXside somewhere (also globally) - in some 3d modelling apps (blender springs to mind) it's a massive huge pain in the rear trying to get textures to come out pixel crisp (can't actually turn filtering _off_, just make it only happen if texels are deformed past some threshold, which has a hardcoded limit built in... full of bullshit).

tl;dr 2 words is a massive oversimplification.

However, making something like that with a little dude walking in the shadows around in unity would take like 10min if you had the assets in just about any external format. Rolling your own tech probably isn't an option if you have no idea about programming in terms of quick results, which is why I'm mentioning the standard "solutions". In my experience (doing engine feature research) unity was the fastest to get up and running with for "lofi" stuff and had the cleanest setup, though having to buy pro for things like real shadows is a bit lame. Can easily write your own fake shadowing like psx and n64 games used though, either with projectors (hi-fi) or keeping track of a separate small mesh with your shadow in it (a textured quad or a black alpha circle depending on where you're spending your texture space).

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: May 01, 2012, 01:45:20 AM »

NN afaik, is the most common name for sqare scaling

I just replied to  someone famous
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: May 01, 2012, 03:51:09 AM »

Sadly, unfiltered resampling has a bunch of names on a bunch of engines. Some engines have textures set up separately to materials and resampling is actually set on import (unity), some use materials that can read from global settings (ogre, if I remember correctly), some don't have a material thing and you just set what you want OGL/DXside somewhere (also globally) - in some 3d modelling apps (blender springs to mind) it's a massive huge pain in the rear trying to get textures to come out pixel crisp (can't actually turn filtering _off_, just make it only happen if texels are deformed past some threshold, which has a hardcoded limit built in... full of bullshit).

tl;dr 2 words is a massive oversimplification.

However, making something like that with a little dude walking in the shadows around in unity would take like 10min if you had the assets in just about any external format. Rolling your own tech probably isn't an option if you have no idea about programming in terms of quick results, which is why I'm mentioning the standard "solutions". In my experience (doing engine feature research) unity was the fastest to get up and running with for "lofi" stuff and had the cleanest setup, though having to buy pro for things like real shadows is a bit lame. Can easily write your own fake shadowing like psx and n64 games used though, either with projectors (hi-fi) or keeping track of a separate small mesh with your shadow in it (a textured quad or a black alpha circle depending on where you're spending your texture space).

That screenshot is actually rendered in Unity, it is great for that kind of graphical style. Last night I sat about 3 hours trying to work out how to get a message pop-up on the screen, lol! I'm going to look at different shadowing alternatives and see what fits the graphics best. I'm not that ambitious about it looking good rather than getting something done.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4759 on: May 01, 2012, 04:15:58 AM »

@Quarry:

after googling NN:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NN
-> "other section" (not science/tech)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nearest_neighbor
-> second link "nearest neighbour interpolation"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nearest-neighbor_interpolation
"Nearest-neighbor interpolation (also known as proximal interpolation or, in some contexts, point sampling)"

I'd say its more of a confusing term than anything.

This is a TIL for me as well fwiw, I just meant that a lot of things use different naming for it, and up until like 5min ago I would have used Nearest Neighbour as a descriptor for that sampling method, but it looks like it refers to about 20 different and not necessarily related things.

@mono: yeah it is, I mostly use unlit shaders and then draw the lighting in myself but use whatever works. Its looking pretty fly as it is.
For bonus points, snip posts that you're quoting to a bare minimum Wink

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic