Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411809 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 29, 2024, 03:47:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2645437 times)
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5700 on: November 14, 2012, 01:01:50 AM »

Blaaaah, I'm totally burned out from coding. Don't want to do everything myself. That's it. I'm done. Fuck this jam. /rantoff

geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: November 16, 2012, 08:58:52 AM »

also Cellusious, that looks awesome! Can't wait to be able to play
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:04:57 AM by geepit » Logged
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5702 on: November 18, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »

Howdy, everyone! I've been away for far too long. The mockups here all look wonderful.

This is my late-night mock-up for a Drunken Boxing RPG. On the left is the main character, his health and drunkenness level as well as how many wines of each type he has left; on the right are his opponents, the Chow Brothers, and their respective health percentages. In the center is the stage on which the battle takes place, and overlapping that are the player character's four main combat options and a wait/end turn button.

To fight, the player uses action points that replenish every round; they can use as much or as little as they like before ending their turn, but performing certain moves in succession will result in a stronger combo attack, so letting up every once in a while can be useful. Players can also consume wines to restore health and add buffs while filling up their drunkenness meter. Increasing the meter increases the power of your attacks, but drags down your accuracy. Remaining too drunk for too long it'll drain your health and cause you to black out. Luckily, the meter slowly goes down each turn.

In the center is the stage for the fight, filled with objects the player can interact with. moving the cursor will allow them to highlight certain objects they can throw, hide behind, or wield as temporary weapons. The combat system is more abstracted than a typical tactical RPG, so there is no grid or placement system. If your character decides to tumble under the table, they'll receive a temporary defense boost for as long as they stay under it (depicted through battle narration) and can continue to attack in limited amounts. As the battle goes on, the scene becomes more wrecked, and the objects can be destroyed. This can work against you, such as breaking the table you were hiding behind, or to your favor, by giving you a handy wooden leg to bludgeon someone with.

Increasing your character's drunkenness affects every aspect of combat. Your character is more likely to miss his attack or trip during tumbles. The menu options become blurrier, even mixing up the buttons or replacing them with total nonsense. And of course, remaining too drunk for too long drains your health. Being a drunken warrior is no easy job, especially when the odds are stacked against you, but with a little luck and a lotta booze you'll find a way to save the day.
Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: November 18, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »

It's very simple now, but the idea is for a little guy and his ship to fly around a world and explore different places. Oh, and do some shmup things since I added that cannon heh. Like maybe there would be shmup sections between places to explore or areas like that. I'd be interested in getting help with this (programming), but it still needs a lot of development of course.
Like you'd fly your ship through some monsters in the sky killing them and then transition to an area to explore like well, and exploration collection whatever fun time yes.

Oh and edit for a second idea here:
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5704 on: November 20, 2012, 02:43:33 AM »

That's some mad rad stuff, Zest. Glad to see you still around.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: November 20, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »

Is that actually animated or my eyes are tricked by the awesomeness
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5706 on: November 20, 2012, 11:01:14 AM »

Thanks, Xion! It's been a while, but TIGSource is still one of my many homes on the internet. Unless I'm mistaken, there is a slight flicker animation to your image, isn't there?
Theophilus
« Reply #5707 on: November 20, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »

I think there is, it's a .gif
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5708 on: November 20, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »

hehe, yes it is a little animated.

Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: November 21, 2012, 01:18:11 AM »

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5710 on: November 21, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »

Xion: lovely work! Show us more.. Smiley

Veo: Cool, like the colour choices.
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: November 23, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »

also Cellusious, that looks awesome! Can't wait to be able to play

this looks cute and enjoyable to the max
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: November 24, 2012, 04:15:30 AM »

Things that would improve the hit movie Die Hard:

1. Pro wrestling
2. It's a Rogue-a-like
namragog
« Reply #5713 on: November 24, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »

Goddamnit. Everyone has the best ideas for roguelikes, but nobody makes them. GET TO WORK.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: November 24, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »

What the fuck is going on in that mockup
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #5715 on: November 24, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »

All the high flying excitement of the squared circle only in a thirty five floor office building during Christmas nineteen ninety-eight.

You should see the part where you take too many painkillers and you start hallucinating that you're a character in the arcade game WWF WrestleFest and have to complete a Royal Rumble against Big Bossman, Earthquake, Mr. Perfect, Ultimate Warrior and the Legion Of Doom. It's basically a Hell Temple/Dungeon equivalent.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: November 25, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »

Why does your HP say "italian"?
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: November 25, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »

Each time a part of your body is damaged a letter gets added here and if a part gets damaged three times it gets broken and you're screwed until you can brace it. I'll admit that it's a really odd way of tracking damage but there wasn't room for a paper cut-out type of thing and a standard health bar isn't thematic enough.
ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: November 25, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »

Every game needs to be designed this way.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: November 26, 2012, 04:10:15 AM »

I think it's a good solution, the image alone just didn't give any context for the letters. Health in games could use some more innovations beyond universal "hit points".
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic