Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:24:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2634058 times)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8820 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »

From what I've seen, 80% percent of the Europeans who apologise for their English at the end of their posts have already typed a post that's more coherent and well-structured than native speakers. I think non-natives end up working harder trying to learn English and put more care into communicating with it, so they end making fewer mistakes. Although C1 is most certainly not the average level of English, especially talking about gaming stuff :D

BUT!

This is a pixel art thread, post your pixel art!
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8821 on: October 15, 2015, 12:33:30 PM »

Also it actually helps when you learned a language formally from the start rather than by aping your environment as a baby to only later get a grip of standardized rules and structure!

Some old thing so I'm posting mockups in the mockups thread:

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: October 15, 2015, 07:46:28 PM »

-snip-
I'm usually a big critic of how well someone's monospace fonts are (at least in my head) but looking at yours, really nice job! Good style, consistency; and creativity in the dual-letter filled blocks! Smiley

krostif
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8823 on: October 16, 2015, 01:44:02 AM »

BUT!

My bad ! You're right !

So here is what I've done for a project that has never been completed :

The characters with some basic background stuff:

The main interest on this are the characters : The project is about a french TV show named Kaamelott (About king Arthur's legend) And the goal here was to find the good likeness with the actors of the show... Of course it won't tell you anything if you don't know the show (And you obviously don't) but likeness  apart, it was a good exercise to practice pixelising for game characters. I think I should post photos of the actors now !!! I come back...
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8824 on: October 16, 2015, 04:55:18 AM »

-snip-
I'm usually a big critic of how well someone's monospace fonts are (at least in my head) but looking at yours, really nice job! Good style, consistency; and creativity in the dual-letter filled blocks! Smiley
Thanks. I used to find making 8*8 fonts meditational so I spent a lot of time with it!
Since you are a connoisseur, I'm submitting these for critique as well (also very old)

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: October 16, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »

Damn... Crisp, clear and very legible!
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: October 17, 2015, 12:21:41 AM »

-snip-
Thanks. I used to find making 8*8 fonts meditational so I spent a lot of time with it!
Since you are a connoisseur, I'm submitting these for critique as well (also very old)
-snip- -snip-
Wow, yet again, awesome! Interesting that you had the first column and row of each tile in the left image be the blank ones. I usually start my letters at 1x1 and have the separation be formed on the right and bottom of each tile.

And cool digital-esque numbering in the second image. Though, by your own rule of thumb, the "7" is rendered wrong. The top-left green pixel should instead be the dark blue. The 7 on the right is the correct one here:
Also pertaining to the right image, though this may be intentional, the capital B and F letters, both 6-wide, are centered differently within their tiles. The B rests against the left edge, while the F is properly centered in the 8x8 tile. Though again, that may be on purpose, but just a curious observation. (Told you I was a stickler.)

Oh one last thing. If an 8x8 grid were overlayed on the second piece, I'm pretty sure most tile groups would be out of line, horizontally speaking. Not 24 from the left wall. Not 8 or 16 between numbers and text. At this point I'm being a little uptight, but that's the last thing I'll comment on Smiley

Again though, the letter forming is ace, and you are quite creative with how and what you decide to make with the limited space. Do hope to see more work from you, and maybe I'll post a few of my monospace pieces (largely not 8x8), at least once I'm actually satisfied with them Tongue

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: October 17, 2015, 01:00:51 AM »

BUT!

Er, *cough*, this isn't exactly THE pixel thread XD

krostif
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8828 on: October 17, 2015, 01:42:03 AM »

Yes I see it's not the right place to post this kind of stuff !...

I've just realized what "mockups" means, sorry :/

See : Dammages of the non-native C1 english !!! Cheesy

See you guys, I search for the right thread right now Wink

But good job anyway Chris... And I particularly appreciate happymonster's mockups. I love this level of abstraction. Even if it's quite limited
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: October 17, 2015, 02:47:22 AM »

Yes I see it's not the right place to post this kind of stuff !...

I've just realized what "mockups" means, sorry :/

See : Dammages of the non-native C1 english !!! Cheesy

See you guys, I search for the right thread right now Wink

But good job anyway Chris... And I particularly appreciate happymonster's mockups. I love this level of abstraction. Even if it's quite limited

No no, you're fine Tongue
I was joking with Quarry, because they apparently forgot which thread they were in. You can keep posting here if you like. However, if you want specific feedback on pixel art, then there is a thread for that as well: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=167.30400

krostif
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8830 on: October 17, 2015, 03:58:44 AM »

Yes I found it. Thank you Chris, I'll continue over there
o/
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8831 on: October 17, 2015, 05:46:00 AM »

And cool digital-esque numbering in the second image. Though, by your own rule of thumb, the "7" is rendered wrong. The top-left green pixel should instead be the dark blue. The 7 on the right is the correct one here:
Also pertaining to the right image, though this may be intentional, the capital B and F letters, both 6-wide, are centered differently within their tiles. The B rests against the left edge, while the F is properly centered in the 8x8 tile. Though again, that may be on purpose, but just a curious observation. (Told you I was a stickler.)
That's an amazing catch! Probably a combination of sloppiness and being rushed.
As for the F. I can only guess at this point, it was a while ago and I don't remember my thought process. Probably I felt like the gap to the next letter most of the time felt too big because of that lower right void, which B doesn't suffer from.
And indeed the digit positioning breaks the 8*8 grid. Thanks to their repetitive nature though this doesn't bump up the tile count much at all, even though it's an ugly solution (also not completely sure local panning like that isn't possible on the NES with some trickery)

I have a piece in the same line I'll be able to show off hopefully later this month. Thank you so much for your comments!

Edit: Actually since we're on fonts and this is the mockups thread:

more old stuff (lol typo)
(excuse the weird layout. I see I ended up modifying it in use somewhat too)

wanted/wanting to use this for an actual game idea but it's never gonna happen
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:17:34 AM by Schoq » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: October 17, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »

FOOOOONTS
supajackle
Level 0

im kyle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8833 on: October 18, 2015, 06:48:09 PM »

oh man i didnt know there was a mockups thread. so much great stuff in here

heres a harvest moon + monster rancher game i would like to get around to makin sometime

MekaSkull
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: October 19, 2015, 04:53:41 AM »

Early mockup for a prototype we're working on. It's a 4 player competitive multiplayer hacking game. You hack terminals to enter cyberspace with your alter ego:

Twitter @MekaSkull
Cyber Shadow Devlog
indieDB
gaarlicbread
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8835 on: October 19, 2015, 11:08:24 AM »

Mockup variant number 4:

I really like this style. I prefer variants 3 & 4, with color. It almost feels pre-pixel art in that the colors are so solid -- but nicer than EGA in that the colors work together well  Smiley

I almost want to build a random RPG with this tileset. It reminds me a little of this old old software called Adventure Construction Kit.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8836 on: October 19, 2015, 12:03:24 PM »

Cheers! Smiley

If you want to use the tiles I don't mind.

Mockup 5:

• Tried to keep all walk-able tiles using very light colours (perhaps too light, but the background is close to white as it is).
  • Removed perspective where I can. (Can't get the open chest right yet without it)
  • Added new tiles: keys, doors, lava, slime, shield pendants, crate, four teleporters.
  • Changed some old ones to make them cleaner, trying to find a balance between symbolic and realistic while keeping everything clean.. I don't want the tiles to be totally symbolic though.
  • Tweaked colours a bit.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:27:41 PM by happymonster » Logged
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8837 on: October 22, 2015, 09:07:22 AM »

Mockup 6: Tried using 10x10 sized tiles instead of 9x9. This gives me more space to work with and lets me do easier patterns, but it also looks a different style than the old version. Not sure which I like best..

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8838 on: October 24, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »

in the final map version there won't be any repeat house styles and there will be crates, stairs, cliffs, barrels, etc to use to get on top of the buildings. lots more work to do!

mgelon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: October 26, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/michael.gelon/videos/10207791143276901/?pnref=story
Here's something I've put hundreds of hours into.  Sorry for taking you off the site, but check this 1-min animation out!  Full 3d animation and sound design.

What type of game do you think this could be?
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic