Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:25:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 2
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 2  (Read 151076 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »

Either way, he's still manipulating himself.

Think about that.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2007, 07:02:08 AM »

Oy!

Here's a dev tool I made to help with tile grabbing. I've been noodling on it on and off, but now it looks like something I can show without causing complete confusion. Basically it scans the image and figures out what tiles there are and where they go, and also how similar they are to each other (just plain pixel matching, nothing advanced).

The neat part is that it can also print out map data compliant with BMcC's code, which kinda makes it a level editor aswell. This allows me to design the levels in Photoshop if I want. (But I think BMcC has a level editor of some sort planned aswell.)

It's still a bit featurelacking but it works as a dev tool. I save by printscreening, then I rearrange the tiles in photoshop and scan again so I get the map data with the tiles in a sensible order. Kinda crummy, I'm working on an in-editor tile arranger/tweaker of some sort.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 07:10:30 AM by Arne » Logged
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2007, 07:07:27 AM »

Oy!

Here's a dev tool I made to help with tile grabbing. Basically it scans the image and figures out what tiles there are and where they go, and also how similar they are to each other (just plain pixel matching, nothing advanced).

The neat part is that it can also print out map data compliant with BMcC's code, which kinda makes it a level editor aswell. This allows me to design the levels in Photoshop if I want.

It's still a bit featurelacking but it works as a dev tool.

That's damn cool! Doesn't that effectively mean that you can just make your level in your graphics editor? Or.. i mean... with the basis you have, it could go in that direction?

Neat as hell, sir!

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2007, 07:27:25 AM »

Yeah, right now I use the image scanning function to output a map array (text) that BMcC can plug into his source code. I might upload the program at some point. Atm. it's a bit of a mess to operate. I'm planning to do a file selector and some crash-proofing or whatever it's called.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2007, 08:15:39 AM »

Ah, pity you wrote that, we have one already over at retrospec. Tongue

http://retrospec.sgn.net/game-overview.php?link=tiler

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2007, 09:25:48 AM »

I LIKE ARNE'S BETTER Angry

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »

Arf! Stop voicing opinions and start posting demos, dammit! Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2007, 06:42:11 PM »

No demo today either? My soul is dying. Cry
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2007, 06:49:27 PM »

Very sooooon.

Putting the finishing touches on it right now.  Grin

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2007, 06:58:45 PM »

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2007, 07:34:48 PM »

I've got you right where I want you BMcC!
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2007, 07:59:42 PM »

AM I DOIN THIS RITE?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »

Hahahahahaha  :D

I don't know if that could be more right.

EDIT: JUST GOTTA TYPE THE POST NOW, SUCKAS.

EDIT 2:  (I mean that as a term of endearment.) Kiss
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:44:52 PM by BMcC » Logged

TS John
Level 0

"I put on my robe and wizard hat."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2007, 09:00:09 PM »

I need to be having that first build now.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2007, 09:02:44 PM »

YOUR WISH HAS BEEN GRANTED
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 09:11:06 PM by BMcC » Logged

Matt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2007, 09:00:14 PM »

Will Baldy have any means of defending himself aside from moving away quickly?
Mario has head-stomping and fireballs, Poyo has a shadow-step, and so on.
Even if its only on a few levels it might be fun to have some kind of armament available, like finding missiles on the metroid level.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »

Quote from: Arne's design doc thing.
Sometimes the player can alter gravity, find a jetpack, jumpshoes, magnetboots, invulnerbility, weapons, jump on trampolines, or other wierd stuff (temporary for each screen).
So I'm hoping some of that stuff includes maybe punching gloves, a gun, bombs, and stuff like that. That'd be sweet.

Matt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2007, 01:34:32 AM »

Often in older games enemies will hurt you just by contact. This never fully made sense to me. It would be interesting if enemies can only hurt you with attacks or weapons. So touching a porcupine would still hurt, but touching a robot wouldn't hurt  (unless the robot just happens to be using a shock attack.

Also some fun hazards could be simple things like:
*GUM! Your foot gets stuck momentarily making surrounding hazards more dangerous.
*Banana peels! A monkey just careens around eating bananas and ditches the peels haphazardly causing random slipping hazards.
*Cold Air vent/Wind: As you walk by you stop and shiver or the periodic wind causes chills.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2007, 08:54:30 AM »

We haven't decided on the specifics yet, but I want to get to that this week.  These are some good ideas, though.  Wink

I think we're definitely going with the enemies only hurting you when they attack approach.

Hey dudes, I'm going to post some concrete Milestone Two goals and a few lists of things I need soon.  Once we decide on other gameplay specifics, I'll post them too.  Hopefully that'll focus discussion some and give you folks something to chew on.

Oh, I also want to carefully go through each Milestone thread and make an organized list of ideas, which I guess I could make available as well.

Thanks for the great effort so far, guys!  Let's plow through Milestone Two.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:56:01 AM by BMcC » Logged

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2007, 03:54:26 PM »

Hmm. So, if there are enemies who only hurt when they attack, does that mean you still collide with them? Can you ride on a robot's head when it's not attacking?

Some games like this tend to crush you if you're caught between an oncoming enemy and a wall. I'd hope that this doesn't happen (the enemy simply has to wait for you to get out of the way before it continues) just because it always feels less consistent when there's an actual telegraphed attack which you KNOW will kill you.

Being crushed never feels... i dunno... as consistent? More like a cheap way out of doing more code?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic