Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:32:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 2
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 2  (Read 151288 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2007, 04:54:39 PM »

I think pushing enemies would be good. I mean, enemies that push.
I mean, the enemies that don't attack on sight/nearness to player should at least be able to push him off an edge/into a spiked wall. But maybe being pushed into a normal wall just results in a momentary stun while the enemy turns around/backs up/actually attacks. I agree that getting pushed into a wall would be a lame (cheap) way to die.
And then there could be enemies that don't damage on touch except for one side. Like something with a spear or electrically charged front. They don't have to charge up a warning to attack, you just have to avoid getting in their way. But you'd still be able to hug them from behind or use them as platforms.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2007, 06:19:55 PM »

the pushing thing might lead to a bunch of cheap, agonizing deaths like you said. I mean, it would depend on level design of course but it sounds like something that would personally annoy me to no end. Pushing might work if it was more a frutration thing and not a death sentence. You wouldn't fall to your death, but you'd have to trek back up the spot where you fell.

Maybe as an alternative, you would just get stunned/electrocuted/frozen on contact, but all non-lethal. The penalty of course being a slower completion time (time is being tracked, right?)

I guess it depends on how hardcore Arne wants to go with it

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2007, 04:05:55 PM »

In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and also Buddha or whoever else you want, I resurrect you! Come back to Life in the Kingdom of Man and show us once again your awesomeness!

...what? Can't do that? Wasn't I a priest?

Oh? No? But priests can do that, right?

Why not? That's stupid.

(The above post means "so, anything new?")
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2007, 04:27:21 PM »

The GDC!

Also, Arne and I are deciding on stuff before I post.

Things should pick up real quick after the aforementioned stuff is decided upon, I hope.  I plan to blow through Milestone Two like Katrina through... never mind.

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2007, 05:13:11 PM »

The Block pushing idea could be used for other elements in the game too, like puzzle solving.  For example timed puzzles where you push a block into a slot, a door opens for a few seconds, etc.  Push it into the wrong slot and something falls trapping you, etc.

Ok.  2 random ideas.

Character Types
1 - Slow but deadly:
These are enemies that follow you around, but they'll do it at a slow pace.  Maybe they crawl on the ceilings, walls, etc.  But if you touch them 1 or 2 times, you're finished.  These types of enemies will definitely keep the player on their toes, and keep them moving and much more aware too.  It would make for some tense gameplay (and No they're not zombies!)  Just sort of zombie-ish.

2 - Looks Harmless:
They Look harmless.  They could even be extra dooper super Cute.   But as soon as you get up close to them.  "Wham!!!"  they smash you with some sort of Boulder/mallet or something, taking away all of your life points/energy except for a small percent.  That'll teach ya.  Might be surprising or cheap or annoying though.  Don't know what level for though???

3 - (level idea) Super Happy Spring Land Cool
a level with dancing flowers, clouds, birdies,.... ??(oor not)

I'm trying Akhel.  I'm trying.  BMcC has a point though.   Undecided Cry
Just some ideas.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2007, 05:47:33 PM »

2 - Looks Harmless:
They Look harmless.  They could even be extra dooper super Cute.   But as soon as you get up close to them.  "Wham!!!"  they smash you with some sort of Boulder/mallet or something, taking away all of your life points/energy except for a small percent.  That'll teach ya.  Might be surprising or cheap or annoying though.  Don't know what level for though???
Alien level, maybe?
1 - Slow but deadly:
The temple could have some "floating stone hands of some disembodied statue head" that chase the player around slowly and don't do much damage if just touched, but if they manage to finish a slow (like, 1.5 - 2 sec) warning animation they'll sieze Balding and take him back to the beginning ala Zelda wallmasters, or they'll drop him over a pit that takes extra work to get out of, or they'll just squeeze the life out of him. The hands can be stunned somehow but not destroyed until the statue head is.
Just tossin' two more cents into the bank of possibility, hoping they won't be lost down the drain of overcomplification and superficial extavogancies, drowned out by the siren song of endless game ideas accompanied with unending strive for something unreachable by mortal hands.

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2007, 05:51:31 PM »

Uno Idea:
For the Temple you could have vines (like ladders but green) that also act as triggers for things to happen. That would be a neat alternative to just levers and buttons. It could also offer some more unique puzzles as you have to determine your path to the destination so it doesn't get blocked off i.e. you grab on to a certain vine and the temple doors start closing, and you have to Indiana Jones it to crawl under it in time (and grab your hat).

Last release: sync::routine
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2007, 07:25:39 PM »

While we wait for the big cheeses to decide, have a monkey:
Meh the breathing but I'm proud of the tail.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »

that tail is hypnotic  :D

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »

Brother, you've....come home.   Cry

HAHa!  too cooool.    Tongue
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2007, 01:37:13 AM »

Some cool ideas!  Keep em rollin'.

I'll resurrect the project tomorrow with my magicks, methinks.

My magicks, methinks...  My magicks, methinks...  That's got a nice ring.

But for now... sleep.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2007, 01:40:05 AM »

Oop. Forgot about my goblin. Huh?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2007, 07:32:25 AM »

It would be cool when the player don't moves the character for more than 30sec.(or howewer you want)and than the character is going to smoke or other animation.Hey please say what animation can i make and i make it i really want to be in the credits!!!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »

I'm not sure that last sentence made sense, but yeah!  Go for it.  Wink

I wanna get this project rolling again once folks are back and settled after GDC.  Got a lot of code cleanup and organization and stuff done in the meantime, though.  And some tweaks.

But I'm ready to rrrrrrock Milestone Two.  Cool
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:59:57 PM by BMcC » Logged

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2007, 08:17:12 PM »

If this milestone is a-rocking, don't come a-knocking?

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2007, 11:59:05 PM »

It would be cool when the player don't moves the character for more than 30sec.(or howewer you want)and than the character is going to smoke or other animation.Hey please say what animation can i make and i make it i really want to be in the credits!!!

How about instead of smoking they shoot-up or kill some baby seals? Wink

Actually, I'd love a bonus level themed around the latter... Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »

Level?  What about entire game?  :D

Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2007, 08:45:31 AM »

Seriously. Is this sort of theme really needed? Why not have him beat hookers to death with pink dildos next?

Well, it all started out cute at least. Embarrassed
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2007, 08:54:47 AM »

Beat hookers to death, you say?  That's a fabulous idea!  I'll get right on that.  :D

Don't worry, I'll make sure you get full credit.  Wink

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2007, 09:21:07 AM »

??!
Wasn't that already in? What was the "House" theme all about then?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic