Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:48:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 2
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 2  (Read 151339 times)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2007, 09:48:35 AM »

Beat hookers to death, you say?  That's a fabulous idea!  I'll get right on that.  :D

Don't worry, I'll make sure you get full credit.  Wink

It would be cool if we could customize our hookers too!

*ahem*, um, anyway about that Milestone 2! Getting back to the whole idle animation thing, I could swear someone posted that pushups were in the 1st release? Hell if I could find it tho...

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2007, 01:27:27 PM »

Wasn't that already in? What was the "House" theme all about then?

Yeah, you're right.  The objective is to store as many dead hookers in your basement as possible then sucessfully throw a house party without anyone discovering your dark secret.

Actually, that's not a bad idea for a game.  COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT TRADEMARK COPYRIGHT

*ahem*, um, anyway about that Milestone 2! Getting back to the whole idle animation thing, I could swear someone posted that pushups were in the 1st release? Hell if I could find it tho...

Oh, it's in there!  But it's a secret to everybody.  Cool

NOTE:  I'm going to make that long overdue Milestone Two post tonight so we can all work together on something specific again.  Y'ALL READY?!  Grin

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2007, 03:26:11 PM »

Yeah, you're right.  The objective is to store as many dead hookers in your basement as possible then sucessfully throw a house party without anyone discovering your dark secret.

Actually, that's not a bad idea for a game.  COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT TRADEMARK COPYRIGHT

Pff! Already copyrighted as my Holocaust Mass Grave Tetris idea from the last podcast. Tongue

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »

Hey, buddy, you can't trademark MY weekly ritual... I mean, can you?

By the way, I'll be having a party next saturday. You are all invited! Bring your own opium, please!
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2007, 04:19:25 PM »

NOTE:  I'm going to make that long overdue Milestone Two post tonight so we can all work together on something specific again.  Y'ALL READY?!  Grin

hurry, before any more hookers are needlessly murdered!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2007, 09:51:08 PM »

No hookers survived.

ATTENTION!  MILESTONE TWO GOALS POSTED!

I finally posted some of the goals for Milestone Two/the second Public Build.  Read them in the original post if you're curious.

We're going to try to have a couple playable levels in the Warehouse and Temple areas for the second build, so let's brainstorm and work toward that.  There have been a lot of great ideas for those areas already, so it should be no problem!

Thanks dudes.  ARE YOU READY TO RRROCK?  :D

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2007, 10:18:35 PM »

Okay, one last question, I swear;
Can he swim? (By which I mean, if I animate him swimming would it be useful?)

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2007, 10:25:14 PM »

Yeah he can, and it would certainly be useful!  I think we decided he'd swim on the surface of the water, ala Yoshi's Island.  (At least, that's what I want to do.  Should make sure Arne's cool with it first, though.)  The water would be drawn above Guy.

We'll also need him wading through mud and stuff at some point.  And probably drowning (for things like quicksand).

Questions are no problem, man.   Wink  Questions... good...

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2007, 07:54:28 AM »

Oooh, does this mean that if he jumps in the water he'll kinda drop into it a bit, but then, he'll bob up to the top? That'd be nice. I don't know what I'm saying. I have to get bakc to work bye honey!

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2007, 08:58:05 AM »

I'm not sure if it's viable, but wouldn't the water look nicer if its outline was drawn above GB, and the color itself beneath him?

Something like this:

Also, could you show us what these areas (Temple and Warehouse) should look like?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »

Oooh, does this mean that if he jumps in the water he'll kinda drop into it a bit, but then, he'll bob up to the top? That'd be nice.

Yes, dear.  :D

I'm not sure if it's viable, but wouldn't the water look nicer if its outline was drawn above GB, and the color itself beneath him?

Yeah it would, but we won't have translucency (it's oldschooly 2D), and some effects and gameplay mechanics will need the one layer over Guy.

Also, could you show us what these areas (Temple and Warehouse) should look like?

We don't have concepts/mockups for the Temple yet (Arne is busy workin' for monies), but the Warehouse is that yellow mechanical place from the original mockup.  (Check the Milestone Goals in the OP.)

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2007, 09:53:30 AM »

He means do the blue square then draw guy then draw the light blue wavy line. No >1bit translucency required.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2007, 09:59:52 AM »

Yeah, I see that -- I was just sayin' translucency would look nicer with that goin' on.

But still, for certain effects and gameplay elements (like raising/lowering the water level perhaps?  Cool), I'd like it to be solid above Guy.  Like Yoshi's Island, IIRC.

Zaphos
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »

Could we organize the M2 goals a bit more?  Like, "these are BMcC's tasks, these are art tasks, these are just things to discuss more"?  As it is, it still seems a bit unfocused.

Also, do you really want an animated water tile?  It would probably be a lot better to do the water with some simple procedural effect -- especially for raising and lowering it, and for having a splash when guy lands in it.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »

Unfocused?  How so?  I've got it all laid out!

If you mean that you want to see everyone's tasks listed in the OP, I guess we could do that as we come to them...  But I was just going to post here in the thread, like before.

Re: Water Tiles -- I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Elaborate, please?

I listed water as an example of a tile that could have an animation, like the ripples at the top subtly moving.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:01:09 PM by BMcC » Logged

Zaphos
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2007, 12:24:54 AM »

Re: Water Tiles -- I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Elaborate, please?

I listed water as an example of a tile that could have an animation, like the ripples at the top subtly moving.
I meant the surface of the water probably shouldn't be implemented with an animated tile, but rather just with some code that says 'water goes from here to here', so you can do neat splash effects and smooth movement of the water level.  I suppose the non-surface bits of the water could be done with animated tiles, although then there'd be issues with how the tiled water blends to the procedural water.

And by unfocused I mean there's a substantial list of 'things to get done' without much about 'to what extent' or 'in what order'.  I suppose if the list is just a reference for you (BMcC) and not intended to suggest what other people might do to help, then it's fine.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2007, 09:28:06 AM »

Re: Watery Stuff --

Hm...  That could be cool.  Can you think of a 2D game that uses this effect?

Btw, it would still have smooth level transitions and a nice splash effect tile-based, though I guess the ripples wouldn't be affected by the splashes.

Re: Goals --

Yeah, they're basically just for me, but I wanted folks to have a clue what I was working on.  I will post specific stuff as we come to it, though.

Really, the order doesn't matter and the extent is just: at least one example of each item, 'cause it's primarily about laying the foundation of the elements at this point.  For example, even if the only particles we have are dust, particle systems would still be in place, etc.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 03:46:29 PM by BMcC » Logged

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2007, 08:36:05 PM »

I dunno...I was thinking a doggy paddle, but I can't swim (for self-observation) and I was too lazy to look harder for references so it's probably the most inaccurate animation ever but oh well.

I like the water Idea. I know I've seen it used before but...maybe it was a dream.

Zaphos
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2007, 12:07:26 AM »

I dunno...I was thinking a doggy paddle, but I can't swim (for self-observation) and I was too lazy to look harder for references so it's probably the most inaccurate animation ever but oh well.

I like the water Idea. I know I've seen it used before but...maybe it was a dream.
I think maybe that swim has too much upper body motion -- actually it seems very similar to the doggy paddle that actual dogs do, but people don't move their arms that much, do they?  I tried changing the upper body motion to be less dramatic ...
The Doctor
Maestro
Level 0

aka: AtrusRand, Yaegashi...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2007, 01:18:26 AM »

Someone told me to post over here. I'm a music writer looking for a game to work on, really.

Check out samples of my work here.

I'd like to help out, if you don't already have a composer.

my E-mail is [email protected], or AIM: AtrusRand

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic