Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:45:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTanaka's Friendly Adventure
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Tanaka's Friendly Adventure  (Read 36575 times)
starclover
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 06:13:25 AM »

I got aaaaall the dudes.

Wish there was some sort of reward for collectin em all, though.

yeah, like scene where everyone is at a party with another cathy tune  Smiley

anyhow, loved the game!  Grin
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 07:29:34 AM »

Thanks for putting Mr.Soul in there, S...  I'll be unleashing my game with guest Tanaka very soon!

Curseman
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 01:24:48 PM »

This game has a lot of charm.

The descriptions are all fun, and the random, arbitrary trait ratings are funny.

I think you did a good job of really nailing the friendly, innocent feel with your text.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 03:48:37 PM »

This is beautiful. Amazing for an opera prima.

TakeV
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 03:54:25 PM »

Aw, this is a great game. Very cute, relaxing, fun too. I want to give the shy friends a hug. Tongue
mirosurabu
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »

It's SURPRISING that this little thing had a better impact on me than many other larger games.
Wilson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 12:33:44 PM »

I really liked this.

Good:
The instructions were written in a really nice style. Fits the game perfectly, and just felt 'nice'. It really made me connect with Tanaka before even playing the game.

The friends are different, interesting, and it's fun to find new ones and then read about them. The writing is good, gets a huge amount of character in just a few lines and two attributes.

Not So Good:
There's no real gameplay. I know you mention this, so it obviously wasn't a priority, but guessing/working out patterns didn't appeal to me. I would have preferred a simpler, less challenging system (maybe just a big map of distinctive squares with landmarks that you search for paths through, finding friends that way) that would feel more like exploration and less like guesswork. Of course that's just me, maybe I'm just bad with patterns. Or have I missed how it works entirely? Also that would be a lot more work, and the real stars are the friends, I just feel they could have been hidden in a slightly better gameplay framework.

The Not So Good part may be longer than the Good part, but that does a disservice to how much I enjoyed the game, and how special it felt. It isn't often you find a game that can elicit so much of a link with it's characters despite no interaction and relatively minimal detail. Congratulations!
Zaphos
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »

I love the descriptions and characters; hope to see you do more of this kind of writing!

The experience of the game was very satisfying, too.

Edit:

Whoah, that was unexpected. Neat  Grin
I found this too, it was great!  I felt like I had found a pattern of movement to make this happen (although, I didn't try to repeat it, so I'm not completely sure ...)  I wish there were more patterns like this to discover, where you can see a trend emerge and try to follow it -- the rest of the time I was just moving randomly.  (although, maybe there were more like it ... I haven't found everything yet!)
mspasta
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »

made a post about this game on my blog!

www.meiyoubrain.wordpress.com
TomMonster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »

Incredibly charming, I have nothing but positive thoughts for this game. While it may not have much gameplay to it, i really don't think it would be better if it did. The atmosphere and general sense of joy and fun you get from the whole experience is what i really like about it. Reminds me of EnviroBear2000 in that you just feel happy playing and i can tell the maker was having fun making it.

Gentleman Gentleman Gentleman

KUDOS!

bento_smile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 11:28:07 PM »

Waah, thanks guys!  Tears of Joy

Haha, Mr. V was a nice surprise Grin

Haha, I didn't know whether to ask to use him or not. I just love the little VVVVVV guy's happy happy face!

Not So Good:
There's no real gameplay. I know you mention this, so it obviously wasn't a priority, but guessing/working out patterns didn't appeal to me. I would have preferred a simpler, less challenging system (maybe just a big map of distinctive squares with landmarks that you search for paths through, finding friends that way) that would feel more like exploration and less like guesswork. Of course that's just me, maybe I'm just bad with patterns. Or have I missed how it works entirely? Also that would be a lot more work, and the real stars are the friends, I just feel they could have been hidden in a slightly better gameplay framework.

That's cool.  Smiley I want to make a more normal exploration game one day. With this one I pretty much decided to embrace the randomness of it - there's not really any patterns other than the one I put in for a joke.  Grin (It's not actually random, but it's disorientating enough that it feels like it) But thanks, I wanna build on what I learned and make something more developed in future.

made a post about this game on my blog!

www.meiyoubrain.wordpress.com

Sweet!  Kiss
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 02:33:38 AM »

The character summaries are really good, actually. Top stuff there. Made me go through the tedious, boring process (sorry if this sounds too harsh, I don't intend to but I want to be honest here) of unlocking them another time.
Definitely try something with more text and character involvement next time, if you ask me.

fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 04:25:20 AM »

Lovely friends, graphics and music. Gameplay, well it's not really about that.

Very cute!
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 04:39:56 AM »

I really liked it, the cute characters and graphics are cool as is the concept of multi branching (one way of describing it).  Nice work!!  Smiley
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 05:21:48 AM »

A cute and interesting distraction. Loved the characters and descriptions.

I've no doubt this is mappable. I got as far as figuring out that you're basically traveling in a system of nodes, some (all?) of which have a friend, and for which N, S, W, and E are just four exits, any of which can lead back to the same node, corresponding exits are NOT symmetric, and there is an "exit" node that ends the game. Unfortunately the only identifying characteristic of a node (that I saw) is the addition of a new friend, and naturally you can't see this if you loop to the same node. This makes mapping somewhat tedious, so I gave up at this point.

Still, it was cute and clever.

I don't suppose anyone has actually attempted a mapping? Quick Google search turned up nothing.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 05:43:03 AM »

it was mentioned on http://twitter.com/miyamotoSAN recently -- he called you "my friend tanaka"

anyway don't be discouraged by all the folk saying it had no gameplay, i think it had tons of gameplay, whatever gameplay means

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 09:41:01 AM »

it was mentioned on http://twitter.com/miyamotoSAN recently -- he called you "my friend
Is this the real miyamoto? I doubt it, it looks like some sort of humour site.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »

it is not, it says as much on the sidebar. check the link it links to. also see this thread:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4792.0

Ranoka
Level 0

Nice hat!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »

I booted into Windows just to play this game, and it was worth it.
Really loved the over all feel, the simplicity didn't bother me because I had fun!

Just out of interest, what did you make the game in/with?

Keep it up, looking forward to what you come up with next, hopefully it's got some of the personality and charm of this game.
JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 08:56:13 PM »

I really enjoyed this game!  The quirky character descriptions reminded me of Katamari Damacy!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic