Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:10:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl "meta" thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl "meta" thread  (Read 18814 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »

Yeah, you're probably right. It's just a shame, though, to lose all that work.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 08:01:23 PM »

Sorry if i sound ignorant but

why exactly do we need permissions if this game won't be sold?

Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »

You should so put him in. He could be Indie Brawl's mario.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »

call him "ip"

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »

You should so put him in. He could be Indie Brawl's mario.
Indie Brawl's Mario would probably be Naija, since she is the most well-rounded character. Quote used a lot of ranged attacks, making him an extremely specialized character- sort of the opposite of Mario.

falsion
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 10:48:35 PM »

Sorry if i sound ignorant but

why exactly do we need permissions if this game won't be sold?

I assume it's a respect thing? I dunno. People have made references to other games before without any problem, like Quote in Gang Garrison 2. I've even seen commercial games do this (for example I remember seeing the space marine from Doom slaughtered in Duke Nukem to which Duke responds by saying ”Hmmm... That’s one doomed space marine”).

But judging from the fact that the creators have said "No" I guess it'd be best to respect their wishes.

Although, maybe the Quote palette swap thing could work as a dummied out character (which uses different colored sprites) that can only be unlocked through special means and doesn't appear anywhere in the main game menus or anything.

Then I guess if anyone not so concerned about copyright wishes to alter the graphics themselves to the real Quote, they can do so. And it wouldn't be our fault or responsibility. This could also work as a means for people to put whatever other Quote-like character they can think of by altering the graphics for him. Maybe also make it so that his name and maybe attributes are stored within a text file or can be edited somehow.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 10:52:08 PM »

Indie Brawl's Mario would probably be Naija, since she is the most well-rounded character. Quote used a lot of ranged attacks, making him an extremely specialized character- sort of the opposite of Mario.
Mario is the most well known Nintendo character.

Here's a couple suggestions:
Colour the sprite all black and have it as a boss character?
Have him the only unlockable character (unlocked throough very a long series of events, so it seems like a myth when people tell it) and don't mention any where that you can unlock him, to throw people off? (Like Reptile in MK)
shig
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 08:14:39 AM »

I think the thing with permissions is to make this more professional and serious and etc.

It would be quite sad if a game made to represent indie gaming couldn't respect and indie developer's wish involving HIS character.

I don't think there would really be any problem other than that. I don't expect anyone doing anything to take Quote off of this game, supposing we include him somehow.
But, personally, I'd really dislike it.
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »

Just recoloring him and changing his name doesn't change who he is.  Maybe in the future someone could contact Pixel again with a version of this game with more characters and stages, seeing if he's more inclined now that he sees the full product.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
falsion
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 01:12:51 PM »

Leave the code in there somehow but for now respect Pixel's wish for Quote not to be in the game.

I don't know about making it unlockable actually, now that I think of it, that does seem kinda underhanded. Same with making a recolor of his character. You can palette swap him, but it's still Quote and we were asked nicely not to put him in the game.

Let's respect his wishes and not have him in the game but maybe at the very least we can leave the code for the character there in case he ever changes his mind. Or at least, don't discard the work you've made on Quote thus far. You never know, maybe you can impress Pixel with the final product.
Mentalpatient109
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »

Guys, I still have a copy of build 11 which I'll be merging with the final product. If people really want Quote, they'll get Quote. So I'm going to say no to pallete swaps.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 10:02:51 PM »

I agree that we just wait this out. Get everything else done and try again another time.

I would rather everybody's efforts go to quote rather than a dummy clone.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 10:40:03 PM »

It's not Pixel's wish for Quote not to be in the game. It's that he can't give us permission to use the character. Since he is making Cave Story Wii, we would need Nintendo's permission to use Quote. All of you who say "This is a free game so it's legal to use him, but we don't want to go against Pixels wishes" need to get their facts straight.
I'm sure theres a more polite way to say it, but i'm tired.  Tired Sorry to everyone in advance.  Beer!

And I assumed everyone was joking when they were talking about a dummy Quote. My bad.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 12:32:20 AM »

It's not because of Nintendo. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten permission for World of Goo.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 06:55:28 AM »

Mario is the most well known Nintendo character.
If we include Quote's movelist in this manner, though, it would not be Quote. It would be a generic gunman.

Have him the only unlockable character (unlocked throough very a long series of events, so it seems like a myth when people tell it) and don't mention any where that you can unlock him, to throw people off? (Like Reptile in MK)
That's impossible with a community project.

Just recoloring him and changing his name doesn't change who he is.  Maybe in the future someone could contact Pixel again with a version of this game with more characters and stages, seeing if he's more inclined now that he sees the full product.
I've been trying to contact them for months. At this point, I think it's safe to say that a change of heart is not going to happen.

Guys, I still have a copy of build 11 which I'll be merging with the final product. If people really want Quote, they'll get Quote. So I'm going to say no to pallete swaps.
That's another issue. Since the source is public and easily edited, there will probably be a couple Quote 'bootlegs' one way or another.

I would rather everybody's efforts go to quote rather than a dummy clone.
Virtually no effort would be required. The character was mostly finished before permission was denied. I could probably add him on my own in about two hours.

It's looking like you guys would not support adding a Quote clone to the game. Admittedly, it does feel a bit underhanded. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about it, though.

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 07:56:54 AM »

It would be quite sad if a game made to represent indie gaming couldn't respect and indie developer's wish involving HIS character.
From an other viewpoint, it also would be really sad if Pixel/Nicalis wouldn't respect the fans, who are responsible for the huge popularity of the game, and wouldn't let them do fan-activities. It's like DC wouldn't let me draw Batman and upload it to deviant art.

Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:16 AM »

Look guys, I love Quote. I really do. But let it go guys. For the time being it's not going to happen.

If you really love him, let him go Cave Story
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 08:41:59 AM »

Well, you're right about it, we should let it go, but still, I really found the permission denial an ass move by Nicalis. Sad

Lamppost
Level 0

All is practice.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 09:27:21 AM »

Something that's been bothering me about this whole permissions thing - how is it we're being careful not to include Quote, whose creator didn't give us permission to use (which is a shame, but que será será), and yet we have no trouble including Charles Barkley, a real person? I'm pretty sure he (or his agent, or whoever manages him) didn't give us permission either - just because he was in an indie game that flew well under the radar doesn't mean there isn't a similar issue there. Undecided
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »

Permission Granted

Charles Barkley/Hell B-Ball/Cyberdwarf (Tales of Games)

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2873.0

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic