Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:31:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl "meta" thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl "meta" thread  (Read 18813 times)
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »

Permission Granted

Charles Barkley/Hell B-Ball/Cyberdwarf (Tales of Games)

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2873.0

I think Lamppost was talking about getting permission from the real Charles Barkley's agent, not getting permission from Tales of Games.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »

The Barkley from Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is pretty much his own character, very different from his real life counterpart.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 01:23:21 AM »

It would be quite sad if a game made to represent indie gaming couldn't respect and indie developer's wish involving HIS character.
From an other viewpoint, it also would be really sad if Pixel/Nicalis wouldn't respect the fans, who are responsible for the huge popularity of the game, and wouldn't let them do fan-activities. It's like DC wouldn't let me draw Batman and upload it to deviant art.

i think you have a point.

The way i see it is just put him in and if they say take him out then take him out.

i think the chances are they will never even play it so if they don't care why should we?

Cokho
Level 3

I love anyone who read this !

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 01:54:04 AM »

The way i see it is just put him in and if they say take him out then take him out.

i think the chances are they will never even play it so if they don't care why should we?

Hmmm, it'd have work if we didn't ask first...

I think we should spam nicalis and pixel, camp in front of their house and do petition  Well, hello there!

Pardon my poor english T_T
Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 02:42:21 AM »

If you really want, you can ask them later, show how serious the project is and how much money we're not going to make from it. It could just be they didn't know exactly what they were turning down, and maybe they've forgotten anyway.
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 06:24:35 AM »

It would be quite sad if a game made to represent indie gaming couldn't respect and indie developer's wish involving HIS character.
From an other viewpoint, it also would be really sad if Pixel/Nicalis wouldn't respect the fans, who are responsible for the huge popularity of the game, and wouldn't let them do fan-activities. It's like DC wouldn't let me draw Batman and upload it to deviant art.
They don't mind fan art at all.  I think the issue more is like if you wanted to make a Batman comic, instead of just some art, then they start having a reason to say "no."  They may view it as the same issue here, more of a fan game than fan art.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 09:47:55 AM »

If you really want, you can ask them later, show how serious the project is and how much money we're not going to make from it. It could just be they didn't know exactly what they were turning down, and maybe they've forgotten anyway.
I've been trying to get in contact ever since the milestone 1 release, but they haven't responded to my emails.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »

I've been trying to get in contact ever since the milestone 1 release, but they haven't responded to my emails.

If they won't reply then who cares about um!  Well, hello there!

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »

They don't mind fan art at all.  I think the issue more is like if you wanted to make a Batman comic, instead of just some art, then they start having a reason to say "no."  They may view it as the same issue here, more of a fan game than fan art.
DC is okay with comics, just as Nintendo okay with the thousand of Mario fan games, just as Capcom okay with...
By IB, we're not trying to make a Cave Story game, a sequel, or a remake that could rival the new WiiWare version, so it's not even the same category.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »

Reading over the replies again, here's what I'm hearing-

Yes
JaJitsu- They won't care if we put him in
Blaizer- He'd be our Mario
Tazi- Pixel/Nicalis should respect the fans

Maybe
Laremare- Reskinning won't change who he is. Try asking again later
Godwill Kunou- I'll add him to the build if you don't
Cokho- Spam for permission
NineVSquid- Try asking again later

No
Falsion- Making him generic defeats the purpose of the character
Shig- Disrespectful to Pixel
Mokesmoe- Nintendo owns Cave Story, we have no choice
Dailyman- Let it go

Sounds pretty divided.

I'm going to have to oppose adding a Quote clone, then, at least for now. Maybe we can revisit the issue again later.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 10:19:18 PM »

Wait what? I vote yes!

My argument was:
  • Nicalis denied permission because Nintendo owns it.
  • We don't want to add him because we want don't want to go against Pixel's wishes.
  • Pixel never said anything about wishing him to be in the game or not.
Just looking at the first point, it seems like I vote no. But if you look at the other lines, you'll see the full picture. the other points were kind of implied; I apologize for not making myself more clear.

EDIT: This too:
It's not because of Nintendo. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten permission for World of Goo.
The reason Nicalis denied it was because of Nintendo. World of goo further proves that he's wrong.

I also oppose a Quote clone.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:43:55 PM by mo#&$mo& » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 07:01:59 PM »

When Nicalis denied permission, they never mentioned Nintendo. They did not give any detailed reasoning.

Tyrone said he talked it over with Pixel, so it's hard to say what Pixel thinks.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 07:35:59 PM »

That's not the impression I got, although I didn't see the original email, and all I remember was that it was denied because of Cave Story Wii. Also, people were just talking about how Nicalis sucks.

EDIT: found the post.
You said the email didn't include any specifics, and Nintendo Cave Story Wii is the only obvious answer.
Also, you didn't say he talked it over with pixel before. The general impression I got was that Tyrone or Nicalis or whoever told us no because of Nintendo Cave Story Wii, not feeling the need to talk it over with Pixel.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:34:25 PM by mo#&$mo& » Logged
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »

I guarantee you Nintendo has nothing to do with it.

We may not have permission from Pixel or Nigoro, but we have permission from Derek, Alec, Xerus, the Wolfire guys, Daniel Remar, konjak, Edmund, jazzuo, Nic Destefano, the Bay 12 team, the folks from Tales of Games, Yahtzee, Joosa Riekkinen, Ikiki, Podunkian, Phil Fish, Radnom, cactus, JTR, Gustav Kilman, Nifflas, RPGCreations, E. Hashimoto, Amanita Design, Kloonigames, Auntie Pixelante, John Haas, 2DCube, TeeGee and Cly5m.

It's so crazy to me that with all of these,  Cave Story is left out.  What a shame.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 10:46:20 PM »

I guarantee you Nintendo has nothing to do with it.
Nintendo didn't have any say in the decision, but the fact that Cave Story is going to become a Wii game defiantly played a part in the decision. We may have not got permission even without Cave Story Wii, but I doubt it. Unless you were denying the fact that it played a role, in which case I guess I'm just arguing your point.  Shrug
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 07:53:37 AM »

My friends and I stopped playing this game for lack of depth... Does anyone else see this? All fighting games are based on controlling space, positioning, and yomi (I probably got that wrong, but oh well).

The first two are destroyed by projectiles. Projectiles are better than melee in every way. Long range, most of them have infinite horizontal reach. Many also have spreading hitboxes, so they hit higher or lower than most melee. Even if the melee attack is a nice charging attack like Naija's >A, ranged attacks are still better because they don't put you up close to be hit by as many attacks in the case that it is blocked or misses. Even if the projectile is reflected, the original shooter will have time to reflect back 90% of the time. Now of not saying that all melee attacks or useless all the time, it's just that they are useless almost all the time.

Yomi. I probably have the wrong word for this, but the thing I'm thinking of is the Japanese term for anticipating you opponent's next move in a Rock-paper-scissors situation. Like in Smash Bros, Ness hits Link with a downtilt. Now Ness can ftilt to beat any attack Link does. Or grab if Link decides to block (which beats any attack and allows Link to go on the offensive). Link can also roll to avoid both, in which case Ness can utilt, usmash, or dsmash to hit Link. If any of you have ever played a fighting game against someone really good, you know how it feels like they know your move before you make it. That's Yomi. Yomi is what makes fighting games really exciting, and IB has none of this.

I don't mean to bash on IB horribly (although I am), but it'd be sad to see such a beautiful project be a mere novelty, a play it for a day sort of game. I don't think the awesomeness of having your favourite Indie characters duke it out is enough to sustain the game.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »

I don't see how projectiles are so good. Most projectiles are either slow, making them easy to dodge, or have a charge-up time, making them easy to anticipate, and therefore easy to dodge. The fast projectiles with no charge-up time do very little damage and stun, making them only useful as a bit of extra damage when the opponent is far away. About projectiles that spread, let's take naija's fireballs for example. Even from the other side of cube sector, the top fireball can be easily jumped, and from any farther, you can jump under it. Also, not every character can reflect projectiles. (and by this I mean the original shooter can't reflect 90% of the time unless they have a reflect as well)
Also, online play would be perfect for settling debates like this.
falsion
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2009, 07:10:51 PM »

Or give the game to Shoryuken. They'll tear it to shreds and find everything possibly wrong with it, every glitch or exploit and then tell you how much they hate you for making it.
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »

Holy balls I just had the best, totally impossible idea ever!

What if we had made Indie Brawl with the Unreal Engine? Crazy right? I KNOW!111 Corny Laugh
falsion
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2009, 01:46:10 PM »

Holy balls I just had the best, totally impossible idea ever!

What if we had made Indie Brawl with the Unreal Engine? Crazy right? I KNOW!111 Corny Laugh

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic