Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:41:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 620169 times)
spellcaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2007, 05:23:26 PM »

Haven't played the game - the screenshots looked a bit like "Spaceward Ho!" (which is a godd thing Wink). Main Problem is, that a lot of good names in this area are taken already.

What about "Intergalactic Conquest"?
"Space Domination"?

Not sure if they are stronger than "Mayhem intergalactic", though.
Chris P
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2007, 10:27:06 PM »

Second, let me say that your game looks really good. There can't be enough games about foreign planets in deep space, and this one seems original and totally awesome.

Yes, it is awesome. Wink (But immodesty aside: Thanks!)

"Mayhem Intergalactic" as a name is... good. I like it, but it doesn't blow me away, which makes it a bit of a missed opportunity. I think perhaps it conjures up a crazy action game with a lot of sprites.

I'm not wildly enthusiastic about it either. Trouble was, I couldn't think of a better one, and I was wasting too much time trying to decide, so I just chose my best candidate and went with it.

"Crazy action game" isn't too bad a description really, considering that it's turn-based strategy; it's probably the most action-like turn-based strategy game I've ever played. Smiley  A friend of mine called it "arcade strategy", which I think is quite appropriate.

Haven't played the game - the screenshots looked a bit like "Spaceward Ho!" (which is a godd thing Wink). Main Problem is, that a lot of good names in this area are taken already.

Yeah, that was a big problem I had. Everything I came up with was taken, or too cheesy, or not distinctive enough.

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »

Hey Benzido, do you have a name suggestion for our Indie Brawl game? I figured I'd ask you, since you seem to be the Naming Czar around here. Tongue
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »

i would try to avoid using any variation of the word indie in the title.
that would be a bit too obvious, i think.

BATTLEKOMBAT II: ULTRATOURNAMENT ALPHATURBO

SUPER PUNCH-IN

WAY OF THE EXPLODING FACE

BATTLE ROYALE WITH CHEESE

SUPER BRAWN BROS BRAWL: BATTLE BEATDOWN

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2008, 09:51:39 AM »

monocle fight club

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »

i would try to avoid using any variation of the word indie in the title.
that would be a bit too obvious, i think.

I'm not sure I agree. If I understand the concept of the game correctly, the game is going to appeal to only a certain demographic: people who like 'Smash Brothers Brawl' or whatever it's called, and people who like indie games. To everyone else, this is going to be completely opaque and inaccessible. That's not a criticism, honestly, I'm just summing up the aims and scope of the project.

In my view, when you have a very tightly focused audience, you need above all to make it easy for the audience to identify what the game is about. Obvious is good in these cases. For example, if you have a game which is a completely realistic, realtime simulation of being an air traffic controller, you should call it "Air Traffic Control" and not "Roger Zero One Niner, You Have The Ball, Over".

In summation, I think 'Indie Brawl' is the right name.
cag
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »

BATTLE ROYALE WITH CHEESE

I love you beyond words.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2008, 02:36:44 PM »

I was actually in Amsterdam a while ago, and it's true - they *do* put mayonnaise on their burgers and chips. Then I went into a McDonnalds looking for a Royale with cheese, but apparently I misremembered and it's actually a French thing.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »

i put mayo in my burgers and on my fries.
its delicious.

try it.

big mac sauce is basically ketchup and mayo so...you know.... its great.

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »

Am I sensing Pulp Fiction references in the air?  :D

Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »

SAY WHAT AGAIN.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2008, 03:15:07 AM »

Corpus
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2008, 12:41:59 PM »

I'm not sure I've agreed with anything Benzido has said thus far in this thread. "Indie brawl" sounds too much like it's trying to be indie, kind of like that irritating guy who kepps telling you that Pitchfork/NME is his Bible.

Monocle Fight Club is great name. I don't know much about the Indie Brawl game design, but I doubt anyone can argue that the clever insertion of a storyline involving characters wearing monocles can ever be a bad thing.

Perhaps the fighters are battling to gain ownership of the coveted Power Monocle, holding the restless soul of Patrick Moore. Maybe not.

Super Force Power Smash?
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »

I'm not sure I've agreed with anything Benzido has said thus far in this thread. "Indie brawl" sounds too much like it's trying to be indie,...

But, um... what?

... I don't know much about the Indie Brawl game design...

Ah.  That explains it.

You see, Indie Brawl is a fighting game with characters from several popular indie games.  Hence the titular elements "Indie" and "Brawl."  The name is quite suitable.

Monocle Fight Club is too wordy.  For that matter, so is "Super Force Power Smash."  Not to mention rather generic.  How about Mega Hyper Energy Impact?  Or Ultra Super Wonder Game?

tweet tweet @j_younger
Corpus
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2008, 02:44:28 PM »

Touché.

EDIT: Or "owned," if that was overly ambiguous.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 02:48:50 PM by Corpus » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2008, 09:38:07 PM »

I thought about this for a sec too. I also was under the impression that the title "Indie Brawl" was a little too ego-centric but upon further assessment I realized that this was in fact the perfect name for this game. In the title of this game we are trying to convey two things: the relation of the game to Super Smash Bros. and the relation of the game to the indie games community. I feel that there isn't many other names that could convey the sentiments of the game as well. The name "Indie Brawl" may seem a little cliche and ego-centric but I think it illustrates the game perfectly due to the simplicity inherent in the title.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »

SoulMonocle

Street Monocle

Monocle's Instinc

Mortal Monocle

Clay Monocle

moi