Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:53:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 620360 times)
Goodis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 11, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »

Oh but this one is called Star Force instead of StarForce so it is totally different isn't it  Grin
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 12, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »

Anyone have any name suggestions for this starship design & simulation game? My current title, "Starship Builder" is super boring. My friends call it "Shippy-Ship" which alludes to an old game I made that was called Tanky-Tank. Currently leaning towards "Starwright".

ShipCraft Corny Laugh Lips Sealed

Is combat a huge part of the game, or are there other challenges to overcome or goals to keep in mind when building your ship? Such as hauling cargo, navigating treacherous nebulae... etc.

I started a fast paced shoot 'em up which is rather a "avoid 'em"
The goal is to score points by staying alive and go as far as possible.
You can do that by avoiding waves of enemies and/or using force fields.
Since a friend pointed at the fact that it looks like "StarFox", I named it StarForce.
Visually even if it's only at the stage of a prototype, it will be on the abstract side as you can see in this video

Star Dodger!

Bonus: the plural of LIFE is LIVES, not LIFES.
Walt Destler
Level 0

Walt Destler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1842 on: January 12, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »

Is combat a huge part of the game, or are there other challenges to overcome or goals to keep in mind when building your ship? Such as hauling cargo, navigating treacherous nebulae... etc.

Combat is certainly a major part, but not the only part. Think of an RPG like Skyrim -- combat is a major part of the game, but not strictly necessary and is always in service to some other goal.

ShipCraft is a good candidate. I have two (minor?) concerns with it: 1. No mention of outer space. 2. It's likely to be perceived as a direct reference to Minecraft, which may or may not be a good thing. My favorite name for it is Starcraft, but I hear this little company called Blizzard already took that name. ;-)

Thanks!
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1843 on: January 12, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »

I don't think Starship Builder is a bad name, it's simple and descriptive. Starship Engineer might be a good alternative.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 12, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »

Combat is certainly a major part, but not the only part. Think of an RPG like Skyrim -- combat is a major part of the game, but not strictly necessary and is always in service to some other goal.

ShipCraft is a good candidate. I have two (minor?) concerns with it: 1. No mention of outer space. 2. It's likely to be perceived as a direct reference to Minecraft, which may or may not be a good thing.

Hence the emoticons. I wasn't serious. Nobody should be naming any game -craft for another 10 years. Except for parodies.

I was about to suggest Stardock, but that's the name of a video game company so it could be problematic.

What's the context for the shipbuilding – the in-story reason the player is building a ship? Are you at war with aliens, defending a colony from space pirates, etc?
Walt Destler
Level 0

Walt Destler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1845 on: January 12, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »

ShipCraft is a good candidate. I have two (minor?) concerns with it: 1. No mention of outer space. 2. It's likely to be perceived as a direct reference to Minecraft, which may or may not be a good thing.

Hence the emoticons. I wasn't serious. Nobody should be naming any game -craft for another 10 years. Except for parodies.

I was about to suggest Stardock, but that's the name of a video game company so it could be problematic.

What's the context for the shipbuilding – the in-story reason the player is building a ship? Are you at war with aliens, defending a colony from space pirates, etc?

I'll preface this with the caveat that this description is "in my dreams" -- the game is nowhere close to this yet:

The setup is mostly a blank slate. Perhaps the player starts with only a single crewmember floating in the aftermath of a giant battle - debris everywhere. The crewmember can't remember anything (though that might not be explicitly stated) and is forced to start life anew. He/she/it (alien?) cobbles together a barely-functioning ship out of the battle wreckage, finds and rescues a few additional crew, and escapes. Throughout the game the player gradually builds up his ship (fleet?) while recruiting more crew. If he wishes he may go on missions for pay/reward, ally himself with various factions/races, or just explore the galaxy.

Now, the game is a long way off from me even beginning to implement this "story mode". Right now I'm working on the combat mechanics and a multiplayer versus mode. There's a separate "ship designer" where the player can design ships without economic constraint for use in the multiplayer mode.
Goodis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: January 12, 2012, 06:09:04 PM »

Personally it reminds me more of War/Star-craft than Minecraft Smiley

Star Dodger!

Not bad !

Bonus: the plural of LIFE is LIVES, not LIFES.

I thought in videogame jargon it's LIFES.
It may be only in frenglish videogame jargon, or I am just mistaken. Thanks for mentioning it anyway
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1847 on: January 13, 2012, 06:44:26 AM »

I need a better name for my game about or avoiding a bunch of randomly directed critters. At the moment I'm calling it 'Stampede', since it's a lot of critters running around chaotically and you need to not die.  Epileptic

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1848 on: January 13, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »

Anyone have any name suggestions for this starship design & simulation game? My current title, "Starship Builder" is super boring. My friends call it "Shippy-Ship"...
I kinda like the "shippy-ness" of your friends idea.  You should call it ShippySmith.

Dannobot on Twitter
Subtle Stone
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1849 on: January 13, 2012, 11:53:50 PM »

Dark Deception for a narrative RPG. I googled the name and its already taken by some rock band from Canada I've never heard of. Think it works for what we want to do? Alliteration is awesome.
capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: January 14, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »

I need a better name for my game about or avoiding a bunch of randomly directed critters. At the moment I'm calling it 'Stampede', since it's a lot of critters running around chaotically and you need to not die.  Epileptic

stampede is a good name
Dark Deception for a narrative RPG. I googled the name and its already taken by some rock band from Canada I've never heard of. Think it works for what we want to do? Alliteration is awesome.
it's always hard to tell with an rpg
dark deception sounds very generic rpg, unless that's what you're going for I'd advise you change it. It doesn't really tell me much or make it stand out.

is there a central mechanic or storyline that will put it above your standard rpg? It might be better to name it after that
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1851 on: January 14, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »

I'm making a game about mech's, see the devlog, http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23813.0
I want to call it equinox or aerolith or xiphias or some other cool sounding word like that, but i'm having trouble deciding on one, also maybe i should just call it "tiny mechs" or "mech battle" or seomthing desciptive like that :S

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1852 on: January 15, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »

So, I'm usually quite proud of the names I come up with, but I can't really think at something for this one...

It's a sci-fi, turn based strategy game; it has Advance Wars' combat system mixed with an infinite procedural map divided in regions, each region featuring some city building that unlocks you off-map abilities in combat and local unit bonuses. And Hand Money Left

It will have a semi-serious scifi setting but will still be a light game, being able to advance in a campaign with short and contained bursts of combat (thanks to regions and goals).
And will have colorful and pixelly graphics (I hope).

... but coming up with a decent name has proven to be an hard task, here's some:
Future Conflict
Battle Plan
War Plan

but they are just too bland an unoriginal and not at all in line with how I want the game to be.

Halp Waaagh!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1853 on: January 15, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »

I'm making a game about mech's, see the devlog, http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23813.0
I want to call it equinox or aerolith or xiphias or some other cool sounding word like that, but i'm having trouble deciding on one, also maybe i should just call it "tiny mechs" or "mech battle" or seomthing desciptive like that :S

i went ahead and ran with Equinox, since I figure people wouldn't care that it's the name of a skrillex song, skrillex isn't exactly mainsteme pop music anyway.

DragonSix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: January 15, 2012, 10:15:15 PM »

I was about to say that I liked Equinox. And there you go 2 post after, making the right call  Gentleman
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1855 on: January 15, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »

So, I'm usually quite proud of the names I come up with, but I can't really think at something for this one...

It's a sci-fi, turn based strategy game; it has Advance Wars' combat system mixed with an infinite procedural map divided in regions, each region featuring some city building that unlocks you off-map abilities in combat and local unit bonuses. And Hand Money Left

I'm thinking something related to how it's procedurally generated. Like "Endless Conflict", or "Mobius".

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1856 on: January 16, 2012, 01:46:48 AM »

Endless Conflict is cool Gentleman
But it's still very "serious"! I'm trying to think of a single-word name, not necessarily a common or existing word... Mobius is on the right track I think.
mmm

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: January 16, 2012, 02:02:27 AM »

Infinifracas? too silly?
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: January 16, 2012, 06:46:20 AM »

It will have a semi-serious scifi setting but will still be a light game, being able to advance in a campaign with short and contained bursts of combat (thanks to regions and goals).
And will have colorful and pixelly graphics (I hope).

This War Never Ends
Shrug

I can't help but read it as EQUTNOX. I also recommend using a serif typeface for Equinox if you're using a traditional Mincho/Ming typeface for the kanji/hanzi, or vice versa: a sans serif paired with a modern typeface.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1859 on: January 16, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »

Infinifracas? too silly?
This War Never Ends
Shrug

Infiniwars? Shrug
Miniwars (ripoff-like but nice)
Warworlds
Miniarmies