Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411906 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58476 Members - Latest Member: animtim

June 09, 2024, 02:31:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 626571 times)
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2100 on: July 24, 2012, 06:51:44 AM »

Good idea SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right but maybe 'Cities in Stone'? I'm not a native speaker, and I'm not sure which has a better 'ring' to it...

Liosan

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2101 on: July 24, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »

It's a subtle distinction.  'Cities in Stone' makes you think of 'flies in amber'.  In this version of the name, stone is a generic material, so you're saying the game is about cities made of stone, as it were.

'Cities in the Stone' is a bit of reference to 'Sword in the Stone', but also, putting 'the' in front of 'Stone' makes it a specific place, even a mythical place.  It can evoke Platonic ideals-- calling it 'the Lake' implies that it is a special lake, versus 'a Lake' which says it's just any old lake.

Your mileage may vary, of course!  I just figure dwarves would mutter prayers to 'the Stone' as if it were some sort of all-encompassing deity.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 26, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »

To The Top
Stupidly hard vertically-scrolling platformer, both generally tricky platforming and some rare IWBTG-style fuck-you can't-possibly-see-it-coming tricks. No/very few checkpoints, one really really tall level, if you fall too far you fall all the way to the bottom/the last checkpoint.
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 26, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »

Your mileage may vary, of course!  I just figure dwarves would mutter prayers to 'the Stone' as if it were some sort of all-encompassing deity.
Oh, now I get it. It's not a bad idea, that 'the Stone' thing, but it wasn't immediately obvious for me at first glance... will it be obvious for the player? Or will they just think it's some silly guy from Poland who can't use his articles correctly?

Liosan

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2104 on: July 27, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »

Sure, 'X in the Y' is totally legit.

Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2105 on: July 27, 2012, 02:38:32 PM »

The Sleeping Garden, Screamed
Title actually quote taken from a book with similar narrative style as this tentative game.

What type of game comes to mind with this sort of title?

Hint: It is not survival horror.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:45:49 PM by MW » Logged
Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 01, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »

Robo Bot.

impulse9
« Reply #2107 on: August 03, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »

"Ox" or "Secret of Ox" or "Ox: [Some Clever Subtitle]"  Huh?

It should sound mystical and whatnot Gentleman
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: August 03, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »

A mystical ox? Huh?

Liosan

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: August 04, 2012, 02:09:47 AM »

"Ox" or "Secret of Ox" or "Ox: [Some Clever Subtitle]"  Huh?

It should sound mystical and whatnot Gentleman

What secrets can an ox have?
impulse9
« Reply #2110 on: August 04, 2012, 03:06:33 AM »

An ox can have many secrets Smiley
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: August 12, 2012, 02:38:18 AM »

Mawar Putih

Translation from "White Rose", which is too common a name on Google.

Planning to base my "company" name around it. Also Mawar in Malay also has a bit of a sexy, classical appeal. Similar to something like Marilyn.

Going to do mostly deep (turn-based) strategy, RPG type of games, or sim-type games. Adding a bit of culture/history to the game.. not quite Civ, but more like Magna Mundi.

Target market would be 25-40 year old people. Intelligent, former hardcore games who don't have time for many heavy games today, but don't want to stoop to casual/facebook style games.

Lesser target market would be as like a history/educational thing for kids that doesn't bore the hell out of them.
Tuonela
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: August 13, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »

An ox can have many secrets Smiley

You have a great concept here, I'm already interested in your game and the secrets oxen have.  Cheesy So, go with the "Secret of Ox".
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2113 on: August 14, 2012, 03:19:15 AM »

I'm making a game that takes place largely on the moon Titan.

I want Titan in the title. But I don't know that I want it to be just "Titan". I was thinking of Living Titan but I don't feel like that's as easy to keep in the head as a title ought to be. Titan Alive maybe?
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: August 14, 2012, 03:26:43 AM »

Cities in the Stone, IMO!
After discussion with my teammate and friends, we decided to go for Mountain Homes: Cities in Stone. Thanks for the help!

I want Titan in the title. But I don't know that I want it to be just "Titan". I was thinking of Living Titan but I don't feel like that's as easy to keep in the head as a title ought to be. Titan Alive maybe?
What is the game about? What kind of game is it?

The thing about 'Titan' is it makes my think titan, not titan. You could do something along the lines of 'War on Titan' or 'Aliens from Titan' or 'Titanquake', to make it sound more "planetary", but I can't help much without knowing something about the game Smiley

Liosan

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2115 on: August 14, 2012, 04:47:29 AM »

I would describe it as ANSI + Deus Ex + Blade Runner + Myst

lots of exploration and atmosphere. the gist of the plot will be that it looks like an alien destroyed an installation on the moon but it was actually staged by humans and it's your job to find out by who and bring them in.

there's not actually any war, and not actually any aliens
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:53 AM »

Titan Rising
Titan Awake
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2117 on: August 14, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »

Those both imply a giant (Titan).  I'd advocate something like 'On Titan' or maybe 'Saturn Rise' since Saturn is more likely to be perceived as a celestial body, putting you into the right frame of mind.

Also, be wary of conflicts with the already existing game series under 'Revenge of the Titans'.

Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: August 15, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »

lots of exploration and atmosphere. the gist of the plot will be that it looks like an alien destroyed an installation on the moon but it was actually staged by humans and it's your job to find out by who and bring them in.
Hm... 'Titan Station'? Nah... Maybe 'Dark side of Titan'?

(Nice plot idea btw).

Liosan

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: August 15, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »

Those both imply a giant (Titan).

I disagree. Context is everything. Cool
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic