Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411891 Posts in 69426 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 07, 2024, 01:53:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignVisual game design tools?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Visual game design tools?  (Read 7751 times)
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »

Also here's a wacky thing I did when doing level design for Star Guard. I made a little index card for each element in the game, and arranged them in order of appearance. The things on the far left appear in level 1, and the things on the far right don't appear until the end of the game. The first row is aliens, the second row is basic mechanics, the third row is allies, the fourth row is lava.

The fifth, crowded, falling apart row is environmental hazards Smiley

I looked at this when doing level design, to give me a large scale feel for the shape of the game. I also drew out a lot of individual areas on paper.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »

Actually, given how much I (and, I'm guessing, other people) am fascinated by other people's sketchbooks, maybe this should be a new thread? "Show us your sketchbook"? Might really illuminate how different people here develop their ideas.
Would this idea go in creative, design, art, or what?
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 02:49:37 AM »

Actually, given how much I (and, I'm guessing, other people) am fascinated by other people's sketchbooks, maybe this should be a new thread? "Show us your sketchbook"? Might really illuminate how different people here develop their ideas.
Would this idea go in creative, design, art, or what?
Um, yeah. All of those. Shrug I guess "design", if I had to pick one. For me, the fun of looking at people's sketchooks isn't about drooling over pieces of finished art but gaining an insight into the creative process. That Machinarium story that was posted on the front page recently is a good example of the kind of thing I'm thinking of. I'd start the threat myself, but I feel it would be somewhat forward of be given my complete newbiness here.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 02:05:43 PM »

Not at all, it's a fantastic idea. I don't see why being new would keep you from doing it, just go ahead.
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 05:07:44 AM »

Not at all, it's a fantastic idea. I don't see why being new would keep you from doing it, just go ahead.

Hurrah! It is done: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8755.0

Copyrite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »

Another pencil & paper user here. And...

I've been thinking of trying this. I've noticed I can think up small chunks of levels, but can't always decide where they go relative to the others.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic