Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:27:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoIraq [Finished][Now with Download Link]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Iraq [Finished][Now with Download Link]  (Read 8766 times)
EHiggins
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:04:02 PM »

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?j2rzeqcu4nz

This is a game about the Iraq War.

Note: The sound is quiet, so turn it up.

Edit:  It works! Beer! Now the game is available to play. 

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:52:44 PM by EHiggins » Logged
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »

Add me on [email protected] on msn man ill upload it for you.

adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:02 PM »

Interesting, so it took me a while to get the 'point' of the game. Which I assume is that war is not a fun game or something. But seriously, once I realised that only some of the blobs were shooting at me I thought, hey maybe this is interesting. Then I realised I could never see the blobs that were shooting at me, they were always off screen. So you are forced to shoot indiscriminately. The idea is interesting but I think the actual game is lacking. I also found it very annoying when I tried to quit the game, perhaps I missed something, but I cold not find a way to close the game and had to force quit it.

I think that political messages (or any kind of message) should be welcome in a game, but when you bend the game so completely to this metaphor and throw out all your ideas (ok, maybe all my ideas) about what is fun then it becomes kind of pointless.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »

also found it very annoying when I tried to quit the game, perhaps I missed something, but I cold not find a way to close the game and had to force quit it.
I think that might be part of the game - it has no exit strategy.  Smiley

The game's social commentary is very well-thought-out; all of the game's elements fit with the metaphor quite well.  I thought that it started out fun, but as the game progressed, frustration ensued.  This all, I'm sure, was intended, and it works perfectly with the metaphor.

adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 06:19:16 PM »

I thought it might have been intentional, that kind of made it more annoying though.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 05:49:02 AM »

I thought it might have been intentional, that kind of made it more annoying though.
Yeah, regardless of the intent, I think making the player have to CTRL-ALT-DELETE to end the game is usually not a good idea.  Maybe you could make the end-game key not so obvious, and make some sort of complicated puzzle that the player has to solve in order to finally end it.

erdtirdmans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 11:25:51 AM »

No way man... forcing the Ctrl+Alt+Del is the best option.  This game is pretty excellent.  I just wish it had more sociopolitical commentary to offer.
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:36:01 PM »

makes a point that delivers itself nicely through the game as a medium which I like. But a bit poorly executed. If your making a point about making the game long and boring and possibly endless, I don't find it terribly effective. Maybe a ironic ending like... success... you killed all the terrorists with only ___ casualties sort of thing. Maybe there is one, but I'm not intrigued enough to play any more.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 12:56:05 AM »

The game isn't that long. Shrug

Pretty good representation of the "can't tell who is an enemy until he shoots at me" quandary.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic