Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:40:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDev’ing Life: What’s it like to be a young developer?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dev’ing Life: What’s it like to be a young developer?  (Read 5191 times)
ArmisticeML
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2009, 06:47:10 PM »

Hey everyone, I recently joined the forums and only posted so much, but I think I’ll start more frequently posting starting with this.

What this thread is about is a documentary;

This series, "Dev'ing Life" will showcase what its like to be living as a indie game dev. Not just programming up the game and making its assets (those kind of series seem to be relatively boring), but also the ups and downs of being a dev in general. Additionally, it will show what its like being young in general, too.

Being 14years-old, my team members and I are making a game for practice, and, while highly unlikely, some commercial results.
We have a passion for creating things in the world around us, and game making is a good way to do that, since you can make a whole different world.

Hopefully this series will bring some more interest to the indie community so we need your help to make this popular.
It'll showcase the fields of 3D design, 2D design gameplay scripting, audio production, and of course, just the flat-out hardships of game developing. Plus, much more.
Obviously, this will grow into a WIP for the game my team's making.

It would be ideal if this series could reach out to people who want to be game devs and show them what its truly like. We want to show the world how it goes down.
So yes; comment on YouTube, subscribe, and tell your friends. Smiley

Episode List
1) Ignition- The first episode of the series simply introduces my small team and the gist of our expectations.
----

2) The Game Plan- This episode presents our look on things, and something that can be called a storyline, although we don't consider it one. It also showcases a few (very few) models we have.
----

Comment on and rate the video and don't forget to subscribe! (We know thats what every YouTuber says, but this time the vids are actually educational and recreational, and fun, too!)

Yeah, that's what we have so far, we plan to have episodes come out weekly to monthly, depending on our free-time.

Hope you guys like it!

Go game dev power!  Smiley

If you want, you can join my team's temporary forums and talk about the series and general game designing.
http://phantasqproductions.forummotion.com
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:45:02 AM by ArmisticeML » Logged

Many people know how to best survive life.<br />Few know how to best live it.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 06:53:48 PM »

I wasn't nearly this ambitious at 14.  Shocked

Maybe that explains a few things about my life now...  Facepalm

Good luck in the future man.  The road is a long one.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:25:42 PM »

Good luck with this, and godspeed.
ArmisticeML
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:52:42 PM »

Thanks. I'm sure I wouldn't be as ambitious as I am right now if it wasn't for a life changing event that I'm not going to say...anyways,
for future reference, as for the recording quality and lighting, along with starting game design, we're also just starting to film and record, so we'll be hopefully increasing the quality of our vids over time.  Grin

YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »

Haha this is like me a year ago.
Gave up on my first project because art was a huge issue.
Hope you guys have better luck :D

ArmisticeML
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »

haha thanks

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 03:21:06 PM »

Hmm. I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I actually wish you all the best, but I recognize myself at a younger age and would like to offer mentoring-ish advice.

A multiplayer online game for your first game is going to be a very tough project(in order of toughness, typically: single-player -> local multiplayer -> online multiplayer -> MMO ), and from what I'm seeing there, your chances are low because there's too much noise - too much talk, not enough action. The fact that you are going to such lengths to document and reach out is, in fact, a huge red flag.

Just consider - how much time will be spent shooting videos and administering that forum, that could instead be spent on game-making? And having school and anything else on top will suck up enormous amounts of time. I had lots of trouble making progress at gamedev until college because my time was so fragmented and other things were stressing me, and I wish I had realized then what scale I should have been working at to make progress.

It'll be harder to make the game than to talk about it at first because you don't know the process yet, but just by spending time thinking up tasks that are related to the game(e.g. how to implement "x" feature, how to create "y" assets), and then coming up with prototypes and examples that resolve them - not even full/integrated solutions, necessarily, just demonstrations - you'll gain some understanding and momentum. Put all your attention on the basic skills and the most fundamental elements of the game, and then make something with that, even if it isn't your original plan.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 04:48:52 PM »

Hmm. I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I actually wish you all the best, but I recognize myself at a younger age and would like to offer mentoring-ish advice.

A multiplayer online game for your first game is going to be a very tough project(in order of toughness, typically: single-player -> local multiplayer -> online multiplayer -> MMO ), and from what I'm seeing there, your chances are low because there's too much noise - too much talk, not enough action. The fact that you are going to such lengths to document and reach out is, in fact, a huge red flag.

Just consider - how much time will be spent shooting videos and administering that forum, that could instead be spent on game-making? And having school and anything else on top will suck up enormous amounts of time. I had lots of trouble making progress at gamedev until college because my time was so fragmented and other things were stressing me, and I wish I had realized then what scale I should have been working at to make progress.

It'll be harder to make the game than to talk about it at first because you don't know the process yet, but just by spending time thinking up tasks that are related to the game(e.g. how to implement "x" feature, how to create "y" assets), and then coming up with prototypes and examples that resolve them - not even full/integrated solutions, necessarily, just demonstrations - you'll gain some understanding and momentum. Put all your attention on the basic skills and the most fundamental elements of the game, and then make something with that, even if it isn't your original plan.

This.

Also, if you guys really want to make a video, use a tripod or something. That picture is moving back and forth, it makes me seasick.
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »

I agree with Triplefox. TIme and time again I have had great ambitions and spent more time thinking about them and trying to build up a community than actually getting them done. I usually just give up in the end.

But hey, by all means, prove me wrong. I'll be thrilled.
ArmisticeML
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:41:14 PM »

Thanks guys for the crit and advice.

Regarding the camera, once I rewatched the video and started to take into consideration what people on various communities have said, I dread the lighting and the camera view. Before I labeled the camera as okay. I guess with some things you can't see the flaws until someone points 'em out, especially if you're the one that produced the thing.  Smiley
I'll be sure to fetch a tripod for the next video, don't worry.

As for using the time of recording to make more things instead, its kind of a specific situation for my team. Since my team members are a bit...err..lazy, the making of videos actually motivates them to make content to put in the videos. If I hadn't brought up the possibility of a documentary series, then they wouldn't have done much work at all. Again, thats just my team (which is basically consisted of my friends); I understand what you mean, though.

Even if we don't finish it, the videos we'll will make will be our checkpoints of what we've learned and our experiences. Its not a teaching class or anything, its a documentary of people still learning...and we just like having fun making them. ^^

Like I posted in the OP, this series will document from the literal start to finish. Not the start of when we're experienced enough to start making professional quality, we mean the start of game designing as a whole. The hardships, the intense learning process, etc.
Thanks again guys.  Grin

ArmisticeML
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:31:35 AM »

Hey guys, here's episode 2:

The Game Plan

This shows our perspectives and standpoints on things, and it also includes a sneak peek of some models we have made for the game.
We tried to squeeze this one in right before our school starts (which is tomorrow), so the next vid might not come anytime soon.
Enjoy!

Oh yes, and there's better lighting and a tripod, no need for a barf bag anymore. Coffee

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »

Don't have any sound right now, but I like the lead taken by the models so far.

Nice sunglasses!
ArmisticeML
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 03:10:41 PM »

thanks  Wink

ArmisticeML
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »

Long time since I've updated this, as school has put us on a challenge to find an ideal recording day.
But we have been creating content, but as we have vowed, we won't post until we are satisfied with it if it were in a commercial game.

Anyways, I've posted to resolve a sort of internal team conflict the development team of the game is having.

The conflict is deciding on the definitive theme of characters and the influence on models.

So far, I've been going for realistically accurate.
But other team members of mine have argued that they wanted it to be cartoony, etc.

So my question to you is what overall mood do you prefer in a online game? And what do you think is appropriate for this game?

Cartoony (e.g. Ether Saga, Dragonica, Maple, etc)
In between (e.g. Flyff, WoW, etc)
Realistically based (Final Fantasy Online, Rappelz, Atlantica Online, etc)

I personally think realistically, because since the game's plot is based on morals, ambiguous time-travel, naturalists, and world changers, I really don't think cartoony would fit.
Its like making the DaVinci code a cartoon or Teletubbies a high paced action thriller. Just doesn't work out.

But I am just asking for opinions of the majority, so we can decide whats best.
Thanks guys.

genericuser
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »

While realistic would be cool and all, consider this;

You're most likely going to be making lots of content. Making it easier to make will definitely be for the best.

Also, cartoony style can work for games like that. You just need to make sure that the style does not suggest that it's going to be a comedy. There are plenty of manga out there that fits the "cartoon" style, yet still manages to have some pretty serious moments.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 05:04:32 AM »

good luck dudes, i think the videos were funny.

I'd go for an unique cartoony style, because it's very hard for inexperienced people to do good looking realistic models.

Bad realistic models appeal less than good cartoony characters and they can easily make your game looks amateurish.

You can do mature themes even using chibi characters

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »

Ho there!  More 14 year-old game developers.  Welcome to the club.

I really wish there were someone our age that lived near me so I could be as ambitious with my games as this, but the work you guys are doing looks ace so far.  The 3D model is looking pretty good for the most part, except for maybe a few sketchy reuses of basic shapes and boring textures.
I totally respect you guys for not trying to do an over-ambitious WoW or Maple Story ripoff or some shit, because these always end up being unrealistic and being put on 'hold' for forever.

Anywho, very nice work so far.  Godspeed good sirs, I wish you the best of luck.  Gentleman

EDIT: And honestly, I'm too Jewish to pay for WoW.  :D  Oh look, a quarter.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:27:38 PM by Masna » Logged

ArmisticeML
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »

thanks guys  Smiley

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »

woah, you can get people your age to help you make games?  I remember when I was 14 years old none of my friends knew the 1st thing about making a game, and they still don't 3 years later. now I'm 17.

must be nice having some one to work with, irl too. good luck you crazy kidz! :D

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »

Hmm, I'm 14 and I'm... somewhat ambitious? Hmm... Good luck though!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic