Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411841 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 08:31:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Why pixel art?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Why pixel art?  (Read 65447 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »

why the hell does this have 15 pages.

mmm, it was mostly me procrastinating my work  Ninja

Yeah that is true, I mean Dead Space wouldn't work as 2D definitely haha, and Trine looks pretty amazing, I like your 3D reminds me of those cartoony clay kind  Kiss I bid you goodluck on your endeavour <3

yay! thanks. Good luck to you too Smiley

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Brocklesocks
« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »

Is it weird that I prefer Pixel Art rather than 3D art, despite having ff7 as my first game and a lot of 3D Games?

I just find pixel art to be extremely beautiful and alive rather than 3D. I can only view 3D as polygons and plastic, but with pixel art, it feels more organic and alive and you can manipulate it easier as you wish. Just my two cents. *throws in the fountain*

a lot of 3d games have lush environments, and you can do lot of different styles with 3d too... I just think that there are games where pixel art fits better and ones that are better in 3d  Smiley

I'm doing a 2.5d platformer and i don't think i could made it look better in pixel art, i wanted to have a look that reminded a bit of something made with clay  Kiss

now i can assure you it looks a lot better than that, this one is a very old screen Smiley

Oh i'm doing also a game in pixel art but i dunno when i'll finish that one  Embarrassed

That's beautiful, man. Do you have a website for this? Furthermore, do you have a need for music?  Who, Me?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2009, 09:48:17 AM »

I think not

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2009, 11:30:40 AM »

what is off topic? there is no off topic, a topic grows and morphs to cover related topics to support the main topic, doesn't it?

@bones: haha cold chill yeah I thought it would have that kind of effect, seeing as to how you call yourself a purist. But you have to remember pixel art is all about how you push the pixels, as it's commonly put. Auto AA can coincide with the choices we as humans would make and cut out a lot of unnecessary labor later down the line.

@paul eres: You do not understand what a jaggie is. In fact, I could count on one hand how many single pixel instances of a jaggie there are in those sprites. They are crafted quite artfully with great knowledge and intimacy of and for the pixel.

Also this is true "or sometimes the pixel artist just isn't skilled enough to avoid them -- bad pixel art is still pixel art"

because even if you manipulate the pixels "wrong" (though it isn't really boolean) you are still manipulating them

Perfection comes into pixel art more so than any other art, or rather any other art at all, because it is actually possible mathematically to create an image constructed of a perfect combination within a small size of a set number of colors representing an object. Ever found yourself messing with a small number of pixels and trying out tiny tweaks, checking one pixel placement against another? This is the search for perfection.

It isn't hard to understand! pixel art is the manipulation of the pixel, where you control the pixels. It's a simple and very fundamental definition, and it is in fact the definition. Yes, it is the exact definition. No, I didn't make it up. Yes, it was developed on what is now pixelation. And no, there is nothing to still be figured out as far as the definition of pixel art goes, so there isn't much point in discussing it.

pogo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »

lacking detail and just generally unsatisfying

WHAT IS THIS!? ^^^^

I love pixel art. There's nothing bad about it. The thing is... I think people, mainly independent game designers, have been using pixel art because they seem to think that it's the "defult" gaming art style. There's nothing wrong with pixel art... But I am almost starting to feel as if it's being over used. Look at different types of anime and manga. They all may have similar looks, but they follow the basic "Manga" style. It wouldn't be called manga with out the large creepy eyes and small noses and such. People will probably assume that when there making a game, that they have to follow the distinct style that everyone else is doing. That's why I think people keep using pixel art for making games. Also, for the third time, I love pixel art.  Gentleman
Also we're making games... We don't have to do follow strict rules such as You have to make a painting with paints. We can do ANYTHING we want to our games. Pixel art will never die. Believe me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:47:38 AM by pogo » Logged
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »

Because they're indie games and not our-artists-have-all-the-time-in-the-world games.

Well, you know what I mean.

Pixel art (at least most of it) is fast to produce.  If I had the time and sanity to hand draw every freaking asset for my games I probably would.

But there's still room for nostalgia, anyway.
Elk
Level 1

エルク

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2009, 01:48:24 AM »

Pixelart is part of my profession and my hobby

Being a creator-type of persion, I believe pixelartist is the top league of art as you have power to create/change the entire picture with pixels, aside from "drawing" and "3d" which isnt really that precice.

That's why I love pixelart, it's ultimate detailing.

Pixelart is also top for learning the usage of colors and other stuff Smiley

For business inquiries send me a forum PM! No Revenue-Share stuff without proper contract.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2009, 08:01:40 AM »

^this^
also getting the exact colour you want is waaaay harder in any other medium

Lo
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2009, 04:13:42 PM »

It is surely the exact opposite of this.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »

The only time you'd get the level of attention to detail you get with pixel art in another medium is if you do pointillism, really

and nobody does that

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2009, 04:45:48 PM »

The only time you'd get the level of attention to detail you get with pixel art in another medium is if you do pointillism, really
Are you trolling or what? Way to dis on all artists!

ChevyRay
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »

Are you trolling or what? Way to dis on all pixel artists!
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »

This is certainly true for very low resolutions. Fine detail is lost when it's approximated by large blocks. As resolution increases, though, the first statement becomes more accurate, as Elk's avatar demonstrates. It depends on context.

tl;dr version: pixel art is a low pass filter with corner frequency proportional to resolution. Both statements are true.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »

Not joking, then...?

Guys, that is so very far from being true it's just ridiculous. The whole thing about pixel art is its low fidelity lowers the barrier. There is no bad way to ink a pixel.

Consider this: the finest pixel art in the world could be copied, with complete accuracy, by a novice on their very first day. Now compare that to a painting, or a marble statue. Or even a simple piece of calligraphy.

pgil
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2009, 05:38:57 PM »

Consider this: the finest pixel art in the world could be copied, with complete accuracy, by a novice on their very first day.

Prove it.

Here. Copy this. You have 24 hours.
Seth
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2009, 05:41:03 PM »

copy & paste & done
MaloEspada
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »

I don't know if this has been shown, but here it goes:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/bots1.png

How detailed is that?

EDIT: LOL. I posted the same thing as pgil, haha
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »

It's a little too big - to replicate that exactly, within 24 hours, you'd need to plot around three pixels per second. But do you reckon I couldn't find a painting, drawing, etching or sculpture more detailed than that?

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: September 27, 2009, 06:01:21 PM »

It's a little too big - to replicate that exactly, within 24 hours, you'd need to plot around three pixels per second. But do you reckon I couldn't find a painting, drawing, etching or sculpture more detailed than that?
Quote from: you
Consider this: the finest pixel art in the world could be copied, with complete accuracy, by a novice on their very first day. Now compare that to a painting, or a marble statue. Or even a simple piece of calligraphy.

What???  Crazy

You just disproved your own claim, and contradicted yourself.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: September 27, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »

You're right, 1:1 painting offers for more detail than pixel art.

But the tone of your posts somehow suggest that pixel art is inferior due to its lack of detail. I don't like that. It suggests that there is some ranking of artistic mediums. A medium is a medium, it's the artist that provides the value.  My Word!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic