Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:54:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 238104 times)
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2009, 12:29:47 PM »

This looks awesome.
I really hope you don't name it Rouge, though, because I am making a roguelike named Rouge  Concerned

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Ben Kuhn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2009, 06:05:49 PM »

Looks great. As a Linux user (Ubuntu 9.10 32bit), I am not experiencing the movement issue at all, although I am occasionally getting irritating minimap flicker.

Also, I didn't notice anything on your to-do list related to dungeon generation. I think you should add some drops without ladders, for extra varieties. And for being mean and dropping the player into a room with a bunch of monsters just out of sight and no way back up. Smiley
st33d
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2009, 07:10:07 AM »

Can't have coloured hats I'm afraid. I went for a viking style helm with horns for the last one. I could swap the baseball cap for a wizard hat happily though.

*puts on robe and wizard hat

Red Rogue it will remain titlewise I guess.

Drops into rooms full of monsters are the function of pit-traps. I intend to use them as a way to remove excess ladders from the game (the generator currently makes too many). But like everything else, I need a solid framework before I can start tweaking. All the elements need to be there playing off against each other before I can balance the whole. The to-do list is basically framework stuff. Things like half decent AI, dungeon generation, a more expansive spell list etc. need to wait while I catch up with other stuff.

Like the menu interface. The menu system is quite complicated to program because I need menu list items to spawn other menu lists or execute commands. I've only just figured out whilst on holiday how to effect a type of eval command in Flash on a variable buried in an object. That should allow me to make a menu system that can perform any task. Now I have to implement it...
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2009, 07:43:48 AM »

The whole hat thing reminds me of Hook Champ.

Also, are hats going to be the only type of "armor" in the game? And will there be magical hats you have identify before using them?  :D
st33d
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »

I'm gonna keep it simple, hats will be the only armour. But hats can be enchanted with runes.

As for identifiable items, in the Torchlight thread it was discussed how pointless identifying items is. For the runes I think it will be a lot of fun discovering what runes are what, but having unidentified items is just a waste of time. I did however think of an identify rune, which can safely id other runes. I decided that if you use an identify rune on an item it will generate a random magical property - as if you've discovered an ability it had all along.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2009, 10:27:58 AM »

That depends. If you have "cursed" items (as most good roguelikes do), the whole identification business becomes a nice "minigame" in itself.

The rune thing sounds good!
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »

I decided that if you use an identify rune on an item it will generate a random magical property - as if you've discovered an ability it had all along.
This is a terribly neat idea, I have to say. I think it's good to pare down the armour, as complexity can just increase attachment, which can ruin a roguelike if it gets out of hand.

That depends. If you have "cursed" items (as most good roguelikes do), the whole identification business becomes a nice "minigame" in itself.
Oh, gods, cursed items, MAKE THEM GO AWAY THIS HAT WILL NOT COME OFF  Hand Shake Left Crazy Hand Shake Right

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2009, 11:48:28 AM »

some silly hat ideas
"dreaded princess veil" this hat was cursed by lost souls of royal ladies who where never rescued. by placing this on your head your bravery is smother by the veil.
you can no longer escape this is your prison til another comes your way.
"hooker wig" by wearing this wig your health is weak but your kisses cause death.
"mechanic's cap:Y" you feel like your legs can lift your self in the air.
"mechanic's cap:T" you feel like your legs can lift your self in the air longer.
"cowl" with your face hidden under none can tell you're foe or there.
the DPV might be a end game unless one gets other hat or the game has other adventures roaming the area.
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »

I'd like to see some sort of "ADHD" -curse; I think that might fit the platforming action. So my idea would be that the hat would force the player to continuously move forward, without the possibility to stop. But you could otherwise change direction & act normally.

LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2009, 09:35:34 AM »

I'd like to see some sort of "ADHD" -curse; I think that might fit the platforming action. So my idea would be that the hat would force the player to continuously move forward, without the possibility to stop. But you could otherwise change direction & act normally.

Haha I like that one. Lemming hat :>
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2009, 12:20:32 AM »

I have that curse. That's why I'm so terrible at Spelunky Smiley .
Icarus
Level 0

This text is nonexistant.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2009, 01:06:19 AM »

That'd actually be pretty evil, nice idea.   Evil

I have that curse. That's why I'm so terrible at Spelunky Smiley .

I hope it's not contageous, I seem to have that too.  Concerned

st33d
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2009, 01:58:06 AM »

My idea for the confusion status was to flip the screen and invert the controls  :D

Still working on the key menu at the moment. Slowly coming together now.  Tired
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2009, 02:07:46 AM »

News?  Beg

st33d
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2009, 07:32:29 AM »

Had to start a separate research branch for the menu system.

It's an expanding tree system that's navigated with the keys (up and down to scroll through the options, left and right decends into the sub-menu for each option).

The current options list would be shown in the middle, to the right the subtrees and to the left the previous lists dived through.

The aim was that you activate choices by moving right through the options and sub options until an option has no sub-tree and pressing right executes the option.

The two things which held me up were the rendering of the menu and execution of the options. I'd mostly delete code, rewrite it, delete, rewrite, and not get any further because I was worrying about the bigger picture. Now that I'm working on the menu system entirely separate from the game, I can concentrate on making it simpler. So the next thing to go up will be an open source tech demo of the menu system (I'm sure it may be subject to criticism), and then get the basic items finished.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2009, 04:03:27 PM »

Sounds good! Looking forward to the demo.
Curseman
« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2009, 01:50:06 AM »

This looks like it could potentially be really cool.

Good luck!
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2009, 09:30:46 PM »

I played the combat demo for almost an hour Tongue I am totally lovin this, and I especially love the style. Definitely has roguelike graphics without actually having roguelike graphics lol. Lovin it :D
Alomard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »

ill be keeping an eye on this Wink
st33d
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2009, 07:43:04 AM »

Menu List demo is up

It's not a game demo - just free tech.

This is an open source tech demo of the menu system for the game. You're free to download the source if you feel this menu system could work for you.

And no, I don't want to make it mouse based. It's fucking irritating when a game makes you flit between mouse and keys. Either pick one or the other or use both at the same time. Red Rogue players are going to be on keys all the time, so I'm loathe to have them reach for the mouse unless it's an easter egg.

But otherwise the design choice here is open to discussion.

Now I have a system that allows the player to doff her hat, I shall resume work on the game.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic