Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:37:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 238086 times)
Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2009, 11:13:57 PM »

original sprite color still looks nicer  though ;p blacks and greys as base.

BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »

This is still looking great so far, once the next couple of development hurdles have been surmounted I'm sure things will all come into place.

With regard to lighting tiles, can you not do a per pixel loop through your bitmap data?  In fact you'd only need to cycle through the edge in question, like the last 2 or 3 rows or columns, then use setpixel[]..

I only mention it as I'm having to think in similar pixel level terms with animating my own background in my project.

Not sure if that is workable with your engine though.

Keep this quality work up!!

Cool
st33d
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2009, 03:14:20 AM »

That sounds like more work than even scanning the tiles and assigning a graphic.

I'm working on the combat system for the next demo. I've got the health meters and stuff to put in. Blood is gushing nicely. SFX are in. Shouldn't be long now.
st33d
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 02:02:34 AM »

Tried pre-edge-lit tiles instead of the mario bricks.

It looked terrible.

You'd get a situation where you would have a column lit in front of you and it would make no sense that the opposite side was lit.

I'm gonna try scanning for neighbouring blocks with each tile that is lit and paint a grey line on the edge using copypixels or a fillrect (a fillrect should be faster actually). Then I'm gonna pull the lighting mask tight around the view port to compensate and optimise. No more mario bricks. Just black with a grey edge on the lit side.

It goes back towards the idea I had originally of the walls all being black - that way you can't see pit traps until they break beneath you and you can have secret doors that you push into a new room. And it means I can have shadow monsters coming out of the walls.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:05:36 AM by st33d » Logged
Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009, 06:31:30 AM »

And it means I can have shadow monsters coming out of the walls.

Sold!  Grin

st33d
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2009, 06:55:55 AM »

I'm haven't got any opening for working on the code base unless anybody has some tech demos for show - those I can add to the front page and then the engine - that way everyone benefits.

Artwise, if anyone wants to show their take on the sprite sheet I'd be willing to upload it so people can have a go. Strict black, white and red though!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »

Just black with a grey edge on the lit side.
That was the idea I originally suggested, but I did a bad job of explaining it.
st33d
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2009, 08:48:42 AM »

Combat demo

No AI as such, but this is a demo of what melee combat is like. Lighting has been changed to make walls more obscure but clearly visible when you're next to them. Contrast from the background has been taken down, and the monsters are all going to be dark grey or black for visibility's sake. Items I may tint a colour to make them visible. Tinting the rogue red on kills has been dropped. It looked shit.

After optimising the lighting engine (it currently tries to light the entire map, I intend to hug the operation around the viewport) I will be working on getting items into the game. The magic system will be able to follow once items have been done.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2009, 09:49:14 AM »

Ooh, I like it. It's doing really good so far, I can't wait to see this farther on.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2009, 09:55:33 AM »

Looking really nice so far. I thought it was strange that the text starts from the top and then scrolls down. Also, the final row had text cut off and I couldn't read it. You should probably give it enough room to make it visible or just get rid of it completely.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »

This game is looking awesome.  This is going to be awesome with items and spells!  I cant wait to see other monsters lurking around.  It could be awesome to go up against enormous bosses!

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2009, 11:45:22 AM »

Is this supposed to happen?

EDIT: Also, you should prevent monsters from spawning in the room your in. I just spawned with a orc on one side of me, and 3 goblins on the other side. I just barely survived, and didn't make it through the rest of the dungeon.
Also, even at this early development stage, I could play this game all day.

EDIT2: Just got my first perfect run, and first decapitation. Reminds me if the turrets in Iji. Wasn't around any other enemies at the time, can you kick the heads into other baddies for damage?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:58:34 AM by mokesmoe » Logged
st33d
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »

That's what the shadowcasting algorithm does with corners. It provides a much better view around bitty areas though, so I don't want to change it. I could plug the areas on the map where it looks weirdest.

Interface is on my to do list - I'll tidy it up later.
st33d
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »

Football damage is a fairly good idea. I'll try it out.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2009, 12:00:34 PM »

Good stuff!! The combat feels extremely solid and chunky... and with chunks

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »

Also, I just noticed, if enemies are close together, you can 'walk 'across their heads with the small boost you get. Maybe you could add a combo system with this. The bigger combo you get, higher chance of rare runes appearing?
Also, I love this game!  Hand Thumbs Up LeftKissHand Thumbs Up Right

EDIT:You should add a way to save maps, because some maps are really cool, like this one:

(I took two pictures and merged them together for the full map)

Also, I'm posting/editing way too much in this thread. Crazy I need to calm down.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:34:33 PM by mokesmoe » Logged
st33d
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »

Just added soccer damage. Next build should feature the heads you decapitate injuring whoever it hits to the tune of half the health of the monster decapitated. So decapitate a big monster and you get one deadly football.

I might be able to easily add a soccer rune from this. Cast to drop a deadly football, cast on weapon to improve critical strikes, cast on your armour to increase your own chances of being decapitated.
st33d
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »

The game state is going to be able to be converted to an XML with RLE and LZW compression on it. I'll be saving that to the shared object, but I will also allow the player to output the XML of their game state. This should speed up bug hunting and it means people will be able to hack their game states should they want to make their own levels.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »

Monsters can block off the top of ladders, and if there's no way around, or other ledge you can use to bait them, you can't get past them.
st33d
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »

Navigating ladders is next on the AI list. Minions are going to be pretty annoying otherwise.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic