Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:42:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 238160 times)
st33d
« Reply #820 on: March 21, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »

The minion died holding a knife. I check the inventory, he's still holding it. Bless him, he is just too good at his job.

Should I add runes to Lore? And should I let the minion be able to harvest hearts?
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: March 21, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »

Is there any way you can let identified items have all their enchantments shown without actually identifying the runes? It feels weird using identify and ending up with a bunch of ? enchantments.

How would rune lore be unlocked? Just the same as identifying the rune? Sounds a bit too easy compared to the rest of the lore.
st33d
« Reply #822 on: March 22, 2012, 01:55:54 AM »

I could limit identify's random enchantments to only runes that have been identified, but anything more would require special rules for all items and would be even more inconsistent.

Rune lore I imagine you could unlock for each possible usage. But then I'm not too sure.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 22, 2012, 02:04:27 AM »

The minion died holding a knife. I check the inventory, he's still holding it. Bless him, he is just too good at his job.

Should I add runes to Lore? And should I let the minion be able to harvest hearts?
I am now imagining a skeleton harvesting hearts with a knife. If this image appeals to you, add it in.
st33d
« Reply #824 on: March 22, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »

Okay, minion butcher drop heart I'm in for. Him auto collecting said hearts I'm against.

Runes are too wishy washy for lore. Going to keep runes mysterious. Totally forgot about the heal stone alchemy trick recently - could have saved me. Easter eggs good.

If I restrict identify to known runes, what benefit could I opt for if no runes are known? Blessed? Could be a tactic for getting an early blessed weapon - I always wait for an identify rune before spell-casting personally so this would be a nice blessed weapon hack.

The XP system is up for review. Monsters need organising. Started playing with the activated chaos wand last night, generally quite devastating but when you hit them with a chaos bolt that levels them up it's game over. You can only get it level 19 onwards though, by which time you'll be too scared to use it.

I totally forgot about the mimic race. You will find them from level 6 onwards soon.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: March 22, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »

I am now imagining a skeleton harvesting hearts with a knife. If this image appeals to you, add it in.
Now I'm picturing @ fighting his way to the underworld portal. then walking back to his wife like he was in a line.
st33d
« Reply #826 on: March 23, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »

Thanks!

Goes to show how much nonsense I spew when I don't even recognize my own item! Looks kinda like a spider. I feel kinda bad for not knowing what it is.
The first thing I though was portal gun actually.
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: March 24, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »

Waheeyyy!

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 24, 2012, 02:37:40 AM »

Menu doesn't appear for me anymore. The game just pauses.
Also I managed to get stuck like this.
I died, screen went black (hp full  WTF), but no game over(?)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:42:45 AM by Geeze » Logged

st33d
« Reply #830 on: March 24, 2012, 03:14:32 AM »

I found something similar last night, it crashed due to a throwing item issue. It looks like I still haven't ironed out all the bugs with throwing weapons.

If you run into the issue again and tell me your last steps it might help narrow it down.

@mokesmoe: it's a bug. I'll try re-drawing it.
st33d
« Reply #831 on: March 25, 2012, 05:57:27 AM »

Update 340

Fixed minion not unequipping throwables on death. I think there are still issues with the throwing system though so I need to spend some time investigating the issue.

Mimic is now in. All chests from level 6 onwards (sewers) have a 1:20 chance to be a mimic. The chest will transform as you get close to it, equip the items it was containing and then attack you. The mimic is a hard hitting but slow character. The mimic can also steal the form of those it is attacking - in playtesting I didn't realise it wasn't my minion returning to me until it was too late.

Chaos wand is in. There may be some bugs with it, but feel free to cause mayhem with it.

Chaos helm is in but is actually generated by hacks in the spell and content generator. The level of the chaos spell the helm inflicts is random. You may be able to skip a few levels with it, but generally you get killed by horrors or something else. It's a late game item anyway.

The minion can now tear out hearts. He will drop them at his feet. He has half the base butchery skill of the player.
st33d
« Reply #832 on: March 25, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »

Small Update 341

Added lightning coming out of the lighting weapon when it is thrown. May adjust the damage on it yet. Not having it transmit enchantments from the emitted lightning - it's overpowered as it is.

Made some adjustments to quickening because it's the same code.
st33d
« Reply #833 on: March 27, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »

Small Update 342

Added explosions to bombs. Bombs have a tile based flooding blast that damages friend and foe (may alter this if people aren't learning that everything can kill you by the time you get them). The radius starts at about 3 and increases to a maximum 6 with the level of the bomb. To detonate them, throw them. The blast can creep around corners but can be outrun. As well as high damage it can also inflict enchantments (yes you can make a healing bomb - if you survive the damage) and the expanding blast pushes characters around.

The amulet of Yendor now unlocks the ability to jump. Jump is hotkeyed to V and is in the action menu (disabled unless the amulet is worn). Jumping AI not in yet.

I've got the Wraith and the Balrog to program and then that's it. All the content bar easter eggs, tutorial and end-game will be in. It'll be level design, debugging and balancing time.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #834 on: March 29, 2012, 05:51:30 AM »

Had a go at the latest build and it's playing really nicely, hadn't played it in awhile but like how I was just able to jump straight into it again  Smiley

One thing I noticed and not sure if it was like this before and I just can't remember but when I die the screen goes black and just stays that way. No restart option pops up. Took me a second to realise I had to bring up the options menu and select new game.

Edit: sorry just realised someone else mentioned this above me.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:09:58 AM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

st33d
« Reply #835 on: March 29, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »

Title / Continue / Save and Quit I guess should be my next priority when the Wraith is done.

Currently having a lot of fun running through walls with the Wraith's special ability.
st33d
« Reply #836 on: March 31, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »

Update 345

Bombs I've decided are introduced too late to be a fuck-you-mechanic. Bombs will now only deliver damage to the opposing team. Along with this change I've fully implemented magic on bombs - I'd left out leeching, protection reducing damage, blessed bombs, etc. Bombs are now fully implemented and you can slam one into a monster's face with security.

Balrogs now have a natural smite attack that takes off 2.5% of the target's health per level of the balrog. This will be the balrog's special ability.

Wraiths can now wall-walk. Wall-walking AI has been fully implemented and wraiths will now patrol through walls, chase through walls and flee through walls. Wall walking only works horizontally. There are some behaviours I'd like to brick whilst wall walking, I'll be looking into those for the next small update.
st33d
« Reply #837 on: March 31, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »

Small Update 346

Nate's provided new scarier sounds for the Horrors. Those are in.

Missile / thrown attacks are blocked whilst wall-walking. This I felt would become the go-to tactic once a wraith head was collected and it doesn't strike me as fun.

Dropping items and creating portals in walls is still allowed though. I don't mind players being stupid like that, and the level will shift them somewhere sensible when revisited.

Wondering if I should let the Horrors wall-walk...
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #838 on: April 01, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »

The first thing I thought when I read the new horror sound after just reading about wall-walking was "Maybe horrors should wall walk", and then you said it.

I think it might be really deadly, but I do have a pretty easy time avoiding horrors at the moment.

Also I wish there wasn't music on the "click to play" screen. It means I can't do something else with the game in another tab without turning the music off first.

EDIT: Make horrors move slower while in walls of you do let them.

Wall-walking into a secret room is odd. You can also use wall-walking to determine what side of the level the secret room is on.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:34:38 AM by mokesmoe » Logged
st33d
« Reply #839 on: April 01, 2012, 04:26:34 AM »

Small Update 347

Broke missile weapons when I implemented the chaos wand, that's fixed now.

Red Horrors (made by the player team) use a different set of sounds now. Nate supplied two sets, I used the scariest of the two, but I also thought it would help to be able to distinguish between the two types of Horror.

Horrors now wall-walk. I don't think they need to move slower in walls though after testing it.

I don't mind the secret wall weirdness with wall-walking. Wraiths are late game monsters, the game is supposed to open up ways of cheating later on. The plot is essentially about cheating death, hence all the meta-game items.

The click-thru music will be moved to the title screen eventually. All in good time.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic