Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:45:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 238147 times)
bartholomew
« Reply #980 on: June 06, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »

Why do you not save local data? I'd like to not have to setup my light-rune slinging everytime i start my game (also i'd like it if the lore was consistent because i never have enough identification runes)
- i demand that casting a light rune on a bow/crossbow makes the bolt a light-source.
(i really don't know why i enjoy throwing around light so much)
st33d
« Reply #981 on: June 06, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »

I don't save local data because the bug reports would mostly be based on the save data only working with an old version. Once I have a title menu and kill-screen I can work on getting save points back into the game.

I'll make a note of light enchanted missiles. Doesn't seem like it will put too much strain on the lighting engine.
bartholomew
« Reply #982 on: June 06, 2012, 07:53:16 AM »

is keeping the lore constant already a plan? Neat.

How opaque are the rules of the game? Because (for example) i have no idea why my minion came back to life and brought a portal to come and meet DEATH with him.

Stupid question, but do you use an entity-system? Because i looked at your source before searching the internet on how to setup gameobjects and their relations and your use of entity in the sourcecode didn't mean much to me but now it seems to be loaded with meaning.
st33d
« Reply #983 on: June 06, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »

Entity is just a generic template for a game engine object that has enough properties to make it common parlance when referring to something in the game.

Eg: All Entities have a main() which executes their update code and a render() which executes drawing the graphics for the Entity. Thus there is no need to cast Entities up into their specific classes when calling main or render.

The Character class would likely be called an Actor in other game engines. However, Characters in Red Rogue are full RPG people with all their stats and the ability to attack and use AI, hence I make the distinction.

The overall engine style is a loose mix of Entity, Component and MVC. I use paradigms where they are most useful, not because I believe the hype.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 07, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »

This happened:

(I decapitated a Kobold and its head got stuck on top of me.) I don't know if that's supposed to happen, but pressing down to drop through the floor knocked it free. But then my menu was stuck on Throw.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 07, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »

I noticed that when your arrows (and maybe other projectiles) hit a enemy it causes your action bar to empty. I assume this is a bug?
st33d
« Reply #986 on: June 07, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »

Got it. The melee code was written long before the missile code. It's clearing the attack bar every time it does a to-hit roll. Thanks for this, will fix for the next build.

Being able to walk around with decapitated heads balanced on top of you is normal. The menu issue being stuck on throw I can't reproduce without more instructions.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 07, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »

Figured it was something like that.

Also, on the subject of heads landing on your head, it might be appropriate to have them bounce off like you are headbutting a soccer ball. Really it's fine either way, it will just possibly help it not get stuck so much and look a bit better.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #988 on: June 07, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »

I like trying to see how far I can bring the head without breaking it.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 08, 2012, 01:16:06 AM »

I like trying to see how far I can bring the head without breaking it.
Did it stay on your head when you enter the exit? if so then I can see this as a silly challenge.
st33d
« Reply #990 on: June 08, 2012, 01:29:33 AM »

The physics engine isn't set up for it but I could try adding some bouncy behaviour to the heads. It would allow you to some trick shots.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 08, 2012, 06:45:02 AM »

Now I am imagining a whole head soccer minigame Red and @ play in their spare time. XD
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 08, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »

Is there a story behind all of this? I've seen a couple of different things after playing this for a while, and I'm starting to wonder who Red, the Minion, and @ are. I'm a little hazy on the details of what I've seen (I forget where I even saw mention of @ in the game, derp), but it's got me interested.
st33d
« Reply #993 on: June 08, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »

There is a hidden story, but I will probably ask a some writer friends to proof read the wall writing and dream text before the final draft - it's mostly filler at the moment.

The planned story so far ties into the different endings possible within an eternal death based time loop, including one that exits the time loop - so you can never play the game again.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 08, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »

@'s the player right?

killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 08, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »

No Red is the player. But you are pretty close. Try feeding an identity rune to your minion and reading the lore for him and the player race.

I will say once you figure out the story, it's a pretty cute and romantic one, if sad. Or maybe I am reading to much into things.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 08, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »

Heh, I found an Elebreth carving.
Doesn't look like it worked too well based on the two or three enemies surrounding it.

Also, is anything supposed to happen once you died?

Edit:
Whoawaitwhat

What does the game mean by "IF I DIE, USE MAGIC TO OPEN A PORTAL FOR ME"?
I did that and it just kicked me to the overworld
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:03:24 PM by DustyDrake » Logged

killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 08, 2012, 05:54:17 PM »

Heh, I found an Elebreth carving.
Doesn't look like it worked too well based on the two or three enemies surrounding it.

Also, is anything supposed to happen once you died?

Edit:
Whoawaitwhat

What does the game mean by "IF I DIE, USE MAGIC TO OPEN A PORTAL FOR ME"?
I did that and it just kicked me to the overworld

It's kind of vague, but you can also open portals to the underworld, which your minion can use to come back to life. The vague thing is, you don't actually use the portal rune to do that. Well you can feed the rune to your minion to open a portal there, but that's not really helpful if he is already dead.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 08, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »

I threw a portal rune at an enemy and it caused a rush of mobs to come out of a portal
Didn't end well for me at all.

st33d
« Reply #999 on: June 09, 2012, 02:12:53 AM »

Well you can feed the rune to your minion to open a portal there, but that's not really helpful if he is already dead.

The undead and portal runes don't "open" a portal to the underworld, they "move" it. How do you think the minion was able to team up with the rogue in the first place?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic