Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:19:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1READ ME!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: READ ME!  (Read 68051 times)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2009, 12:23:11 AM »

I think that may be partially due to the overhead associated with sounds over visuals. Images and graphics will appear right in the thread, in any browser at all.

Not to mention that it takes longer to listen to a 4-minute track than to look at some sprites. Not to mention that it's far more likely people are browsing the forum with no ability to listen to sounds than no ability to look at pictures. I frequently look over threads from work, where it's trivial to look at images, but I just can't listen to sounds most of the time.

I expect as the second half progresses, more people will be far more appreciative of sounds, once they start trying to find music and SFX for their games and digging through all those resources.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2009, 12:56:54 AM »

that, and the fact that visuals are more likely to inspire game ideas than sound effects or music.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2009, 01:41:48 AM »

that, and the fact that visuals are more likely to inspire game ideas than sound effects or music.

Yeah, most of the time the visuals are going to determine what kind of music is needed and not vice versa.

hi
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2009, 01:43:03 AM »

That's not true, I feel stuff when I hear to music too  :D
Some music makes me imagine things impossible to put in graphics.

I think that may be partially due to the overhead associated with sounds over visuals. Images and graphics will appear right in the thread, in any browser at all. If all the music was in flash players in the thread, they'd probably be more popular because its easier to actually view the submissions. I know for me sometimes they'd open in a new tab with some VLC plugin, sometimes they'd download and open in vlc itself, and sometimes they'd open in WMP. Pretty annoying.
+1

Working on HeliBrawl
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2009, 02:56:42 AM »

Some music makes me imagine things impossible to put in graphics.

This is absolutely the case for some of the awesome music entries. It's well worth putting the time in to listen to them, just for that "How will I ever create something this epic" feeling Wink

Makai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2009, 07:41:59 AM »

I have to agree with both nitram and Ed. When I usually embark on a project on my own, audio is the last thing on my mind.
With this compo though, listening to the awesome sound people have cooked up is giving me a much better idea of the feel I'd want to have in  a game.

It's still incredibly hard to decide when everything looks and sounds so great. As a traditionally art-starved programmer, I just want to use everything I see here. Grin
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »

When does Phase 2 start?

WHEN DOES PHASE 2 START?

AAAAAAAGH Hand Shake Left Screamy Hand Shake Right

Syniphas
Level 0

feh.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

I wanna play the games...

Hand Any Key Crazy Hand Joystick

or else!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »

Phase 2 should start soon. Derek still has stuff to do about Part 1.

Also, you guys might wanna stop with the updating now, it's been over 2 days.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »

When does Phase 2 start?

WHEN DOES PHASE 2 START?

AAAAAAAGH Hand Shake Left Screamy Hand Shake Right

Dude, same here, I can hardly wait.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2009, 01:06:55 PM »

While we're waiting, somebody might want to take down the notice on the front page that says "there's still plenty of time to participate in Part I!"
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »

Patience.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2009, 10:40:03 PM »

Woo, here's looking forward to part 2.
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2009, 04:08:03 AM »

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2009, 08:52:56 AM »

since we're waiting around, I'll throw this out there:

would it be within the rules and spirit of the competition to allow for people making 3D games to be able to build out their levels in a 3D app in a similar format to the way someone would use a program like GM or Construct? For instance, in a 2D app, I'd use the provided assets to make tiles and arrange them in a way that would form a complete level which would then be exported out for gameplay. While not exactly a 1:1 comparison, I'd argue that it's a similar process to build out level geometry in a way to form a complete level, but relying on the provided assets for textures.

The real differentiating factor here is that I would have to export the entire level as a new 3D object, which in sense would be adding another asset to the game. But what I would argue is that the new asset is roughly the same as someone exporting an XML file from a tile editor. Any creative work ultimately falls under design, programming, and implementation, which I'm assuming make up the brunt of the second part of this competition.

I realize I may be severely stretching the interpretation here, but are we considering the actual gameplay level an asset, or only the things that comprise it?

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2009, 09:33:29 AM »

I realize I may be severely stretching the interpretation here, but are we considering the actual gameplay level an asset, or only the things that comprise it?

Why would we regard the gameplay level as an asset for 3D games but not for 2D games?

Since nobody's posted very much in the way of level design (unless you want to count the various tileset mockups, most of which probably weren't assembled with much thought to playability), considering level design an asset that needed to be produced in Part 1 would severely restrict the possibilities of Part 2, so it seems very unlikely to me.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2009, 09:42:53 AM »

Why would we regard the gameplay level as an asset for 3D games but not for 2D games?

Since nobody's posted very much in the way of level design (unless you want to count the various tileset mockups, most of which probably weren't assembled with much thought to playability), considering level design an asset that needed to be produced in Part 1 would severely restrict the possibilities of Part 2, so it seems very unlikely to me.

Yeah -- I mean, this is why people only posted 2d tilesets right, and not complete levels?

Seems such a distinction would apply to 2d as well as 3d games.  I don't see any compelling reason to consider any level (whether a 2d tile map or 3d world) an asset so long as its base components (tiles / textures) were created in Part 1.

But then again, that's just my opinion. Smiley

--clint
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »

since we're waiting around, I'll throw this out there:

would it be within the rules and spirit of the competition to allow for people making 3D games to be able to build out their levels in a 3D app in a similar format to the way someone would use a program like GM or Construct? For instance, in a 2D app, I'd use the provided assets to make tiles and arrange them in a way that would form a complete level which would then be exported out for gameplay. While not exactly a 1:1 comparison, I'd argue that it's a similar process to build out level geometry in a way to form a complete level, but relying on the provided assets for textures.

The real differentiating factor here is that I would have to export the entire level as a new 3D object, which in sense would be adding another asset to the game. But what I would argue is that the new asset is roughly the same as someone exporting an XML file from a tile editor. Any creative work ultimately falls under design, programming, and implementation, which I'm assuming make up the brunt of the second part of this competition.

Just make the gam you want, it's n ot like there is anything to win anyway lol.

ANYWAY, it doesn't matter anymore because it looks like the compo is dead ;/

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2009, 12:10:01 PM »

Mr. Willis loses his charm after a while.

Make whatever game you wish to make, with whatever assets are available, in whatever way you think would be best. As far as anyone is concerned, unless we can see you used something that wasn't available in any thread and that wasn't made with pure code (I'm fairly sure there's no problem with some procedural effects, though they should probably be avoided unless necessary) then there's no problem. This competition is not that strict and there are no material prizes.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2009, 12:25:32 PM »

This competition is not that strict and there are no material prizes.

heh, ya, I got that. But, since it's a competition with set guidelines, just wanted to make sure I'm going at it right, especially since everyone is working from the same bag. Sounds like what I want to do will be fine tho...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic