Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:48:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1TürboEdge™ (it's done!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TürboEdge™ (it's done!)  (Read 25184 times)
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 05:50:01 PM »

It don't half look like Rings Of Power dunnit.

EDIT: Here's another general character, based off that painting of Napolean. I won't be using the previous one as it was just for getting people's opinion on putting dudes on bases which is still open to discussion. Now comes the fun of doing frames for three other directions.

This competition has been great for post count.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:57:19 PM by Türbo Bröther » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »

Agreed, posts are simply SOARING. Really hard to keep track of those threads though..  Screamy

ALSO: I don't like bases, they never feel natural. Maybe a 'highlight tile', that goes over the tile its on for selection purposes, and can be hued for 'enemies' and 'allies'?
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 07:24:41 PM »

Awesome tileset.

Why not make a few different blank bases so the figures could be mixed and matched at runtime.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »

Here's an idea: I could texture the top of the base (just the basic ground texture I've used for, like, everything) so the colours change depending on what tile group the piece is standing on. The sides could also be changed at runtime to reflect the colour of the army the piece belongs to. It would get rid of that purple I've been using unless your army is purple, then you're stuck with it.

It's just like your idea only explained longer. Post count +1.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »

To clarify, you are saying the top of the base is the same texture as the tile it is on, and the sides are it's army's colors? Nice idea! Perhaps make the sides have patterns too, to represent flags. That would be  pretty neat-o.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 10:09:35 PM »

Like this:

The black and white will be replaced with army colour. Fitting in a tall enough medal was a bit difficult even after I extended the height of the entire base so maybe I could do some overlay graphics which relocates those off to the side of the current cell. They'll be much bigger if I go this way.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 10:41:49 PM »

awesometric!

(I was going to ask for an alpha blending friendly version, then I've found this, which might come handy to those who want to use these tiles with OpenGL and don't know how.)

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 07:57:38 AM »

Buildings look great, especialy with the multiple roofing options. I would realy like to see some sort dammaged building tile, scorches, blast dammage, broken walls, ect. After all what is the point of making a town for a video game if you can't destroy it?

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »

Buildings look great, especialy with the multiple roofing options. I would realy like to see some sort dammaged building tile, scorches, blast dammage, broken walls, ect. After all what is the point of making a town for a video game if you can't destroy it?

Or have it be destroyed to start your protagonist on his quest for revenge.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 04:21:50 PM »

Someone wanted dudes with swords. Here's your dudes with swords and a new sprite design to go with them:

EDIT: Now dudes with spears.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:39:15 PM by Türbo Bröther » Logged
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »

Goodbye ugly magenta, hello soothing aqua.

Oh, and there's some new dudes.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »

I quite like Magenta. My graphics library of choice, Allegro, uses magenta as its alpha layer. I can always programmaticly swap the colors on load time so the aqua swap is no biggie.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 10:20:07 PM »

I mainly changed it because aqua is the colour the DooM engine uses for it's transparency. It's just like the old days of doing terrible MSPaint graphics mods. And because it looks good behind the blue characters. Once I've finished doing everything I'll probably change it back, when I also make parts of the sprites greyscale.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »

Food for thought.

Which one should I go for? The current tiles look will need a grid drawn between them to fill in those gaps between pixels and won't require me to go back and do a Mr. Fix-it on them. The ones on the right fit together fairly seamlessly.

So which should I go with? I will of course fix up the walls to match the ones on the right if popular opinion sways towards that.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 05:19:18 PM »

I would go with the one on the right, but provide a one-square outline that can be used to toggle on "the grid" in-game.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 08:18:41 PM »

I think the right one looks better, too. Since the grid can still be laid on top of it, it gives the programmers more flexibility.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 01:03:28 AM »

I would go with the one on the right, but provide a one-square outline that can be used to toggle on "the grid" in-game.

I would agree, but I wonder whether said 'outline' wouldn't be better as a pair of 'bottom-left line' and 'bottom-right line' tiles which could be assembled into an outline around any given square, but could also be used to make larger rectangles if necessary, and could still get 'sharp' corners.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »

I am hungry, it is lunch, here's a horse.

I am not good at horses so there's bound to be stuff wrong with the legs. I think the technical term that can be applied to it is "charm" but I'm a bit behind on proper terminology with these things. I will say though, that going through the handful of old White Dwarf issues I still own has helped immeasurably with my sprites as a whole.

EDIT: You know what, fuck it, I don't care how it looks. I can't be arsed fixing this damn horse and I gotta do three more of 'em.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:25:36 AM by Türbo Bröther » Logged
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »

I like that you are going multidirectional with your sprite work. It gives us more options than just static table top wargame fare.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »

Really nice work. Stuff reminds me of first discovering the big sheet of units in Civ2...

How about some overlayable sprites for the unit standards? I suspect you might already be planning something like this anyway, but anyway  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic