Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:20:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1Everyday is joyful fun! 3D collection (FINAL)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Everyday is joyful fun! 3D collection (FINAL)  (Read 20857 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 10:33:57 AM »

Maybe some blocks? Coins? A character? Some sort of complete set that a game can be made with, since there wouldn't be any other assets available.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2009, 11:06:45 AM »

Really superb stuff! The papery style is great - just wondering how big the textures are with the baked-AO stuff? (Edit: oops, I just re-read the first post)
Also, if it's not already in hand, maybe it would be good to provide a low-poly collision mesh version of each tile? Maybe someone with more knowledge of 3D engines could confirm or deny this.

Suggestions: How about producing stuff for a simple RTS and/or city building game? I guess you'd need housing, industrial buildings, entertainment, temples (got already? might need to fit neatly on a tile or 2x2 tiles), mines, spaceports, turrets*, trees, gardens, etc etc.

(*tower defense game?)

You could use the tank-train for a "worker" unit, or mass transit, or general traffic on the roads. You could add flying things and other stuff - civilian and (maybe) military units for the player and enemy stuff that attacks the city.

Might also need some 3D UI stuff like selection glows...

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:24:55 AM by Ed » Logged

+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2009, 05:19:27 PM »

Love the look, I am definitely gonna get my hands on these.  Will you just be offering the blender file, or a .x, or fbx?

How about some simple 'paper' looking houses or buildings?

Tree's would be nice, maybe also a rock that could fit on a tile? (to obstruct a path)

Obviously the Blender file would be easiest, but I'll probably use .obj to ensure everyone can get in on the action.

Some more houses/structures are probably on the bill - certainly foliage and stuff. However, I wonder if it would be a better decision to not bind rocks and stuff to tiles, and rather allow them to be placed where ever.

Maybe some blocks? Coins? A character? Some sort of complete set that a game can be made with, since there wouldn't be any other assets available.

You're right about there not being a lot of 3D assets available. I don't think I'll have enough time to really fill out a complete set for an entire game. What there is already, however, are loads of amazing 2D assets. With some camera tricks and billboard tweaks, some very creative 2.5D games can be made.  Wizard

If I had the time, I would love to do people ... but you really need a bunch of them to be effective, and they are massively time consuming. There are already some great 2D character sprites available, I think they could make some awesome 2D 3D mashups. Remember Klonoa?
Kiss

Also, if it's not already in hand, maybe it would be good to provide a low-poly collision mesh version of each tile? Maybe someone with more knowledge of 3D engines could confirm or deny this.

Suggestions: How about producing stuff for a simple RTS and/or city building game? I guess you'd need housing, industrial buildings, entertainment, temples (got already? might need to fit neatly on a tile or 2x2 tiles), mines, spaceports, turrets*, trees, gardens, etc etc.

Might also need some 3D UI stuff like selection glows...

Oh! Collision meshes are a good thought. I know Blender's GE can calculate collision meshes at runtime (cube, cylinder etc.) But if they are needed by 3D devs, I'd be happy to fulfill that request.

Do buildings and other stuff really need to fit neatly on the grid? I was kinda assuming that 3D objects can be placed willy nilly  Corny Laugh

I'll probably hit some of the other objects you listed in the next couple weeks. However, since I am basing these assets off of what I find in my daily life - I can't guarantee turrets or space ports  My Word!

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 12:42:09 AM »

Do buildings and other stuff really need to fit neatly on the grid? I was kinda assuming that 3D objects can be placed willy nilly 

Depends on the game I guess... but for some kind of building-game it would make things massively easier IMO, and it seems like if you make it so that objects could be placed in the grid then its up to the coders to make use of this or to place them freeform. I don't think you have to do anything special except make things roughly square/circular and if not grid-square-sized then at least look decent and consistent when rescaled to fit in a square.

I'll probably hit some of the other objects you listed in the next couple weeks. However, since I am basing these assets off of what I find in my daily life - I can't guarantee turrets or space ports

I'd love to see a photo of your hometown with the tank trains driving past the temples :D
But nah, make what you want! The reason for those two suggestions was that turrets immediately open up some game design options (but I can understand if you want a peaceful set of assets) and spaceports (or airports) along with some flying vehicles of some sort give an easy way to have some trading or stuff going on in a seperate style from roads.

+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2009, 05:30:07 AM »

I'd love to see a photo of your hometown with the tank trains driving past the temples :D

Heh - An hour away from Tokyo things start getting a little weird.
You should see the heavy diesel train I take to work. Its old, iron and loud.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2009, 06:33:11 AM »

I should have expected an answer like that Wink

But they have spaceports in Japan right? Anyway, my point (for the strategy game) is that you just need enough distinctive functional-looking buildings to make some sort of economic system. Maybe even modular stuff like satellite dishes to stick onto of roofs?

snellface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »

Would it be possible to have these files in .x format mate?  Wizard
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2009, 10:08:25 PM »

Would it be possible to have these files in .x format mate?  Wizard

I don't think that will be a problem. Just a thought, would anybody prefer just the .blend file instead, so they can then export the models to any format they desire?

And lame of all lames - I was hoping to get a lot of work done during this current long weekend, but I let the power cable for my computer at work. I'm typing this with my screen dimmed to nill, and with only a half an hour of battery for the weekend.  Epileptic

Next week is going to be a scramble to get everything done.  Cry

cheapshot
Level 0

Welcome to your DOOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2009, 04:45:28 AM »

If you could read this (which you probably can't because if your lack of power) I would lend you my power supply for a brief period of time.

Wait, if he won't be able to read this... why type it?

Wait, if I have realised that he won't be able to see this and there is no point in me writing it, why I am writing it.

WTF WTF WTF

P.S. I wish you did have power this weekend, I wanna see what else comes out of that brain of yours. Wink

Tesse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2009, 11:42:05 AM »

Awesome stuff. Don't know why but it reminds me some Playstation One games.
Sweet, sweet, sweet !

Wow, this is really nice!

Would love to see some games with models like this (I won't be able to use them; I use MMF2 :p)

I thought MMF2 has a 3D model object. I never used it, and it don't know what it worth.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:28:18 PM by CCPC Speaker » Logged

Please be friend of me.
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2009, 06:38:22 PM »

If you could read this (which you probably can't because if your lack of power) I would lend you my power supply for a brief period of time.

Wait, if he won't be able to read this... why type it?

Wait, if I have realised that he won't be able to see this and there is no point in me writing it, why I am writing it.

WTF WTF WTF

P.S. I wish you did have power this weekend, I wanna see what else comes out of that brain of yours. Wink

I don't know why I am wasting my battery responding to this.

Tesse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2009, 04:42:43 AM »

Btw, it crashes when I press "P" on Win 7 64bits + Blender 2.49b 64bits (with or without Python 2.6.4 64bits). Concerned
Dunno if this info's useful.

However, it works great on my MacBook Pro. Durr...?

Please be friend of me.
dertom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2009, 06:08:41 AM »

The .blend-file would be great. I think it would be for the maya and 3d max users although a good thing to export as .fbx as this is Autodesk's exchange-format...

btw: great work... Smiley

Check out my game "Wood Games 3D" |  TrailerAndroid |
twitter: tomaga95
Tesse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »

.OBJ would be better I think

Please be friend of me.
luvcraft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 12:29:12 PM »

So the idea here is that I will model stuff that I to tend encounter during my daily routine ... only, make it a little bit more fantastic.

I want to trade you daily routines. Smiley
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »

I have updated the first post with download links.  Big Laff
Currently, all the files are only in .blend format. However, once I get home from work this evening, I will add more formats Wizard

Also, the landscape tiles are currently all stuck inside a single .blend. Probably not an optimal situation for most people. Ill also remedy that (in addition to replying in more depth with more pictures) this evening.

check out the files here:
http://www.traylorpark.com/files/tig/assamblee/downloads/

Finished off doing conversions. For your pleasure, along with the .blend files come FBX, X and OBJ. Textures are all in .PNG format. I compressed the packages in to 7z just to get a bit smaller file sizes.

I'll be happy to supply some tech support on these assets (if thats aloud) while developers start poking and prodding them. For example, I didn't triangulate anything. I'd be glad to do that and more on request.  Gentleman

I'm massively excited to see some crazy stuff made with these!!!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:21:17 AM by +peter » Logged

shaarptooth
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2009, 08:01:39 PM »

Beautiful! Very stylish and practical. I can't wait to use these! (2.5d most likely)

Burn bright.
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 12:25:55 AM »

Beautiful! Very stylish and practical. I can't wait to use these! (2.5d most likely)

I'll be your official fan club.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic