Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:19:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Level Design Part 2
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Level Design Part 2  (Read 5866 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »

Alright, so to get this project moving again, I think we need to design some actual levels for the game.  We have lots of assets now!  We just need a little direction, I think.

Here is Prom's original map:

There's no need to adhere strictly to this map, but it's a nice outline to start with.  I think the basic idea is that you start in one room, and new rooms open up once certain objectives are completed (beat a room, collect all the computer disks, etc.).  There are a number of different types of areas.

The first goal should be to have one area finished.  I say we start with Storage, since that's been the "basic" room type for a long time, and probably has the most assets done for it:

Could we knock out a half dozen or so rooms in this style with interesting themes and challenges?

Once that's done, we can put them together, tweak them, and get BRONDON to design a basic map screen to tie them all together.

From there we can just tackle each area, one at a time.

Thoughts?
Ashkin
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
Great! It will be wonderful to get some maps for this lovely game.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:42:37 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
Great! It will be wonderful to get some maps for this lovely game.
You said it!  Hand Metal RightConcerned

What this project really needs is consistent, focused management, organization, and attention.  I just don't have that in me at the moment.  But it will eventually come together, I'm sure.  Not too worried about that. Wink

darkwolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:12:57 AM »

Righto, I shall get working on some maps for Storage this weekend! How many do you want?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »

Millions. Corny Laugh

darkwolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:24:48 AM »

*laughs* well, I reckon I got it in me, with the other projects I got going, to do (roughly) 8, most of which will be linked. Sound alright to everyone on the project?

EDIT: Almost finished the first one on paper, already thinking in terms of linked rooms (two exits, and once you go for the bottom one, the top one becomes inaccessible), but not sure if I'm being too sadistic or not yet. We'll see, and they will be modified according to comments from those who play them. Definitely gonna finish 4 by the end of the weekend and put them up, not sure about the 8, but will still work toward that goal.

EDIT 2: Hrm... not quite sure how to script this properly (the LoadMap function I get, but, if I've read correctly, I'd have to make a new script so that the victory (reaching either exit) loads the map it needs to...)

Any help on that would be appreciated, before I've finished pencil-mapping the 4 I've already got in my head (Storage Entry, Karma (Reached from top exit), Garbage Dump 1 (Reached from either Karma or bottom exit of Storage Entry), and Garbage Dump 2)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:09:40 AM by darkwolf » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic