Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:31:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1Traumadore's Big RPG Monster Sprites. (Final)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Traumadore's Big RPG Monster Sprites. (Final)  (Read 20081 times)
Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 03:42:28 PM »

Ho- ho- hooooooooly crap, these are delicious. Please make more, ASAP.
Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »

A couple new monsters this afternoon. Thanks for the encouragement, once again.

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »

These look great!
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »

Fantastic - the details really add an extra layer of... wonderful bewilderment... especially the shadow's attire and the mindflare... WTF  Durr...?
Looking forward to more!

Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 10:42:26 PM »

Better pull out a wooden weapon for this small update. There's a somewhat chimeric interpretation of a rust monster, along with a big centipede.

Lifesnoozer
Level 2

wait... who?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »

Incredible, awesome.  Shocked

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »

Great stuff

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »

Here's some more monsters. The firebat is immune to fire, the golem is immune to everything! You better run!

So, I'm trying to think of a way to make navigable dungeon bits, but I don't know the best way to make something useful. Any ideas?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »

That is an EPIC golem.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 02:37:26 AM »

Shocked... Kiss

Best golem EVER.

So, I'm trying to think of a way to make navigable dungeon bits, but I don't know the best way to make something useful. Any ideas?

Here's my two cents on the topic. Very much a minimal approach (edit before posting: and might not at all be suited to your chosen media).
  • For map objects, you just need the graphics of the objects (pretty much the same as the monsters).
  • For the walls, you need the graphics of the wall as you're standing in front of it. For something that's real 3D, that's all you need, the engine will do the rest.

For pseudo-3D stuff such as Might and Magic III- V or Ishar, you need to create graphics for the two sides of the walls.

At the easiest, it's done using the perspective tool and scaling of your imaging software (for GIMP users, here's an excellent tutorial for creating perspective distortion).

The wall sides' heights are double of the original on their wider sides (the one that's closer to the viewer), their width is 3/4 (but try 2/3) of the original width. This might or might not be correct, but it looks alright.

This took about 5 minutes maximum (and I didn't know how to do it when I started this post), enjoy:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:41:46 AM by György Straub » Logged

Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »

That's not a bad idea. I didn't think of someone using distortion, or applying it like a texture maybe? 3D dungeons a-la Etrian Odyssey would be pretty fantastic.

I'll create some wall and floor textures along with some dungeon props for the background. Crates and barrels will be conspicuously absent though.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »

I was going to reply here and suggest Etrian Odyssey as a reference!
Personally I would find simple floor/wall square textures to be easiest to work with (i.e. to place on the sides of cubes 3D space), but you could always provide distorted pseudo-3D too.

Impenetrable forest areas could be done with a mixture of camera-facing billboards and cube blocks.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

For pseudo-3D stuff such as Might and Magic III- V or Ishar, you need to create graphics for the two sides of the walls.

Oh nice.  If it helps keep you motivated, I will make that game if you supply enough graphics.  I tried to make a game maybe a year back that worked on the same principals in a hex grid. 

Using GM surfaces I might be able to do whatever I want with a texture, and then you wouldn't need to bother making a bunch of views of the same thing.  I hope it's not illegal to experiment on a game engine before part 2 starts...

-PENCERKOFF

Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 12:47:14 PM »

Another monster, the very tall and gangly Gelugon or "ice devil". Also I just popped out a mimic. It was pretty angular and painful.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:28:58 PM by Traumadore » Logged
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 01:42:57 PM »

Another monster, the very tall and gangly Gelugon or "ice devil". Also I just popped out a mimic. It was pretty angular and painful.

If I made a game with this, Gelugon would be the hero.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 04:02:24 PM »

I really like these. How many do you plan on doing? Not that I'm trying to push you into making a lot more or anything.  Hand PencilTired

Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »

Well I didn't want to say about how many I would do, so other people couldn't bother me about it. I'm somewhat behind since I didn't do any this weekend, however. I'll do my best to emulate that haggard smiley, but I'm simultaneously doing some intaglio prints and a few monotypes for an event, so please be patient. There should be enough to flesh out a decent game, considering many commercial RPGs boast bestiaries of 70+ monsters. We'll have at least half that.
Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »

A couple more monsters, thow em on the pile. I've a sketch for a lady zombie. People sure like their zombies these days.

Skab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »

i really enjoy every new update !
your illustrations would fits perfectly with an "Odin SPhere"-like animation style !!

Traumadore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »

Almost several new monsters. I'll be rounding out the elementals shortly. Dang the deadline for this thing approacheth hastily.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:47:26 AM by Traumadore » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic