Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:54:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1Assemblee General Request Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Assemblee General Request Thread  (Read 20421 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »

After consulting with Derek, I decided to create a thread for general requests to the artists and composers contributing to the compo.

DA RULES:

- DO NOT make -very- specific requests ("I want a space marine with heavy armor and a yellow logo of an eagle on his shoulder, smoking a cigar, with brown hair, wielding a large automatic rifle, etc"). Focus on making more broad requests, like "ambient mountain music" or "3D enemies and backdrops" or "forest temple tileset". This is mostly to give artists that want to fill requests a general direction of what the rest of the participants want to see and use, and to remind them of what's lacking, while letting them be as creative as they want with the content. You can be somewhat specific, but try not to overdo it.

- DO NOT discuss your game idea for part 2. It's against the rules. If you ask for something, don't say why or for what.

- DO NOT direct your requests at any specific artist or composer. Requests are directed at all of them, and any, or none, may choose to fill them.

- NO artist/composer is obligated to fill any of these requests, if they desire to do their own thing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:18:24 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
mr.mnml
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:40:15 PM »

very useful!

Mock Anger
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 03:50:38 PM »

Good idea for a thread.
I'll start:

bullets or projectiles for a platformer.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:25:52 PM »

Large background images of all types. I don't think I've seen anymore than one thread with them yet.

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »

We could probably use some more top-down sprites.

Also more 3d things.

Melly: I have a background in my thread, but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 04:52:28 PM »

Ah, good timing! Just yesterday I explained how the compo works to my dad, and he asked "well how do u no wut them programmers want?" and I pretty much had to tell him I didn't know, kinda awkward.
Large background images of all types. I don't think I've seen anymore than one thread with them yet.
I wanna make one, but I don't have a good idea in my head yet. I'll have to brainstorm.

EEEEEEEGH
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 06:42:38 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

More isometric things would be great.  It's hard to combine different sizes of isometric tiles in one game since we can't scale any of the assets.  I know of one thread with isometric things in it, maybe others can join in on the size (30 x 15 tiles) for compatibility.  That's in http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8822.0

Or just make more isometric things in whatever size you want.  There's too many side scrollers around here and dammit that's going to change.

-PENCERKOFF

leparlon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 07:03:15 AM »

I would like Top-Down reinvented insects!
Or just normal insect like creatures!
What suits you better.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 08:10:01 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

More isometric things would be great.  It's hard to combine different sizes of isometric tiles in one game since we can't scale any of the assets.  I know of one thread with isometric things in it, maybe others can join in on the size (30 x 15 tiles) for compatibility.  That's in http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8822.0

Or just make more isometric things in whatever size you want.  There's too many side scrollers around here and dammit that's going to change.

-PENCERKOFF

You can scale assets in runtime. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

Or you can cheat and scale them prior, if you know you can get away with it. Corny Laugh

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 09:13:42 AM »

Also more 3d things.

This. Especially things like buildings, or evil characters for enemies or players or whatever.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »

Varied sound effects. Tons of them. Seriously, download sfxr and go nuts.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »

Stylized arrows in the four cardinal directions, please.

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »

Stylized arrows in the four cardinal directions, please.
I made some arrows here. Will they do?
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

You can scale assets in runtime. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

Or you can cheat and scale them prior, if you know you can get away with it. Corny Laugh

Yeah so long as I don't release my source nobody will know if I just did it beforehand.  Cheating is far easier than doing work. 

Also... any HUD display stuff would be nice.  Something with a port for a mini-map would be even sexier.

-PENCERKOFF

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 10:40:48 PM »

Hideous just gave me an awesome idea.

PHOTOGRAPHY BASED ASSETS. Like, take some photographs and manipulate them to be used as game assets.

I know some people here would go nuts over that stuff. Make some Samorost-style magic.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »

We need a basic block set for 3D like the ones bouncing around for 2D. Something kinda like what Minecraft has.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 12:42:10 PM »

Hey I probably wont have time to contribute to the art in any meaningful way, but is it cool if I throw some unfinished art up for older games that never got done?  I dont realy care if its not counted for the compo or not, just thought someone should use it rather than letting it rot.

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »

I don't think you could. At the very least, it wouldn't count for the comp.
pgil
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »

We need a basic block set for 3D like the ones bouncing around for 2D. Something kinda like what Minecraft has.
Couldn't programmers make their own blocks with primitives? I don't see much point in modeling them. I might do some textures though.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 02:51:29 PM »

Hey I probably wont have time to contribute to the art in any meaningful way, but is it cool if I throw some unfinished art up for older games that never got done?  I dont realy care if its not counted for the compo or not, just thought someone should use it rather than letting it rot.

Use the Art forums for that. Only create a thread here if you're going to create assets for the compo, and any assets made before it are not eligible.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic