Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:05:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creativep4a: Do you do steampunk? (Flash)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: p4a: Do you do steampunk? (Flash)  (Read 3277 times)
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »

Hey there!

I'm a programmer looking for an artist to art-me-up for my latest Flash project. Here's a nutshell description:

Top-down perspective,
Turn-based,
Multiplayer, (massively?)
World War I-era aircraft,
With Steampunk/post-apoc adaptations. 
Gentleman

A "pirates of the sky" type of idea.

I'm not the expert on graphics though so if you think what I want is impossible or if you have your own dreams for taking it in a new direction, I'm all ears! I won't stifle creativity.

I'm hoping to keep things looking simple/clean as an overall design philosophy, using minimalism as a guide. Attempting to pull the project off without using text, but I'll probably fail. Wink I'm an iterative-design guy so I make new builds very quickly, test out mechanics or assets, and release. I like being very open with my designs.

I think this project has a lot of potential to go real far (dreams of persistent characters and RPG system on the back end, full microtrans economy, big $$$), but for initial release it'll just be the core combat gameplay, standard flash distribution (FGL, portals, etc.) You don't have to be on for the whole ride if time commitments are scary. Wink

A bit about me: I'm not an artist (stickmen don't sell these days) and I'm not a genius UI designer, but people tell me my code is pretty. I had a hand in the design of Fantastic Contraption (fantasticcontraption.com), but my own titles are:
 - http://www.Space-squid.com (my first solo project, 30 day 'learning-flash' deal)
 - http://www.protonaut.net (collaboration with Aeiowu (Greg Wohlwend), work in progress still)
Most of my code work has been professional office productivity software; boring stuff, but I'm not a "new coder" by any means - lifelong programmer right here!

I'll be working on this project full time; I've got my hotseat-playable prototype finished with some placeholder art (Thanks so much to Daniel Cook). Just starting on some of the multiplayer server stuff. Here's a screenshot:

Revenue split of some sort probably going to happen, but we can work something out. let's talk.

Anyone interested? Feel free to reply here, oooor
[email protected] <- EMail or IM
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:01:15 PM by weasello » Logged

IndieElite4Eva
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »

Also accepting suggestions and advice on how to rope in more than a single response  Cry Is it something I said?  Shrug

IndieElite4Eva
Strom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »

looks good , how many planes and other assets would be needed?

See my Assemblee 2009 2D and 3D work Here. My A Game By Its Cover compo entry Journal of Shikoku.
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »

For initial release, four planes - background graphics - scenery (clouds, etc) - animations for death, shooting, flames, etc.

IndieElite4Eva
Strom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:10:01 AM »

What format do you need the graphics in .gif , .fla?
What size do you want them (eg 32x32 , 64x64)?

See my Assemblee 2009 2D and 3D work Here. My A Game By Its Cover compo entry Journal of Shikoku.
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 05:13:34 AM »

Sounds fun. I'm not an artist so I can't help you out, but here's something that may give you some gameplay ideas: dogfight. There's a sequel too.

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:36:12 AM »

I might be interested. I'm a professional graphic designer and illustrator. I don't have much experience doing graphics for games apart from stuff I do for fun, in my spare time, but it's something I'd really like to have a go at.

I'm currently doing some pixelly stuff for the assemblee competition here .

For more general design and illustration, you can check out my website. Let me know if you think I might be able to help or if you need any more info.

email: daniel dot bristowbailey at gmail dot com

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »

What was the age-old DOS dogfighting game? Good luck finding someone, project sounds cool!

destiny is truth pre-op
Acoustiks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 07:08:14 AM »

Nice idea you have. IF you are look for someone to do some music, I can help you out with that. I may be able to do some simple sounds and stuff too.

soundcloud.com/acoustiks
Acoustiks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »

I'll take that as a "no". Undecided
EmThree
Level 0

pew pew pew

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 06:49:23 PM »

No because it's pretty whored and is unoriginal because it's done so often. It's still pretty cool though. I'd rather do something more original, like vegetable-punk, or abacus-punk.

MS Paint For Life
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »

Found an artist, thanks for the interest guys!

Nice idea you have. IF you are look for someone to do some music, I can help you out with that. I may be able to do some simple sounds and stuff too.

I'll be looking for an audio guy next. Realism base to the sounds and some old-feeling music. Think you could pull off something like that?

No because it's pretty whored and is unoriginal because it's done so often.

Depends on the spin you put on it. New concept art contains zero top hats, monocles, or aviator goggles. Smiley

IndieElite4Eva
torahhorse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »

I really like the shadows, gives it a sweet cutout feel!

EmThree
Level 0

pew pew pew

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »

Found an artist, thanks for the interest guys!

I'll be looking for an audio guy next. Realism base to the sounds and some old-feeling music. Think you could pull off something like that?

No because it's pretty whored and is unoriginal because it's done so often.

Depends on the spin you put on it. New concept art contains zero top hats, monocles, or aviator goggles. Smiley

Then it's not steampunk :V

MS Paint For Life
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic