Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411840 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 07:36:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLife- a game by Lurk
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Life- a game by Lurk  (Read 7632 times)
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »

Stimulated as I was by a very recent discussion on these forums, I realized I really sucked as a person. I decided to redeem myself by offering the world this short reflection on human frailty and the meaning of life. After a long, pensive pause(complete with an intense thinking posture), I rejected the names 'the hallway' and 'the corridor', which did not sound humble enough. So I opted for simply 'life- a game by Lurk'. Let me know what you think and if you found any bugs(its been a while for me in gamemaker). Are you playing the game, or is it playing you?
http://www.box.net/shared/x766kbh004
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:30:19 PM by Lurk » Logged
Asmo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »

This is art
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:06:53 PM »

Finally, Adolf Hitler draws a long, shaky breath. A single tear rolls down his cheek, and the war comes to an end. This... this is art.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »

This, this was excellent. If it wasn't for the music, it would've been perfect.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Eraser
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:14:16 PM »

Yeah the music did kind of ruin it. I only got 6 loves Sad
Asmo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 01:44:52 AM »

I know this release might seem a little sarcastic given what transpired in that other thread but the game works as a response to Passage. It's the anti-Passage. Sorry to inform you, but you made art.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 02:49:57 AM »

willhostforfood isn't working for me... Sad

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 03:03:41 AM »

The link doesn't work for me too Sad. And I would really like to play it. I hadn't had my today's dose of teary enlightment yet.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 03:09:18 AM »

It seems that willhostforfood is up for sale. You can get it for only $1000.

Laserbrain Studios
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 03:25:50 AM »

link doesn't work for me either

i was hoping for an actual contribution to the forums out of lurk for once, but i guess i'll have to wait until the link is fixed :D

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 03:27:22 AM »

Because his other games and amazing art are clearly not a contribution.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 03:50:43 AM »

http://rapidshare.com/files/308721129/life_a_game_by_lurk.exe.html
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QRT2PHHO

More links to touch the heart of mankind!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:56:25 AM by Lurk » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 03:55:20 AM »

well, i'm sure he's done something valuable, i haven't read every post on the forum, i don't tend to read the art subforum in particular. i just meant that in my experience of the forums, 100% of my impression of him has been of him being negative, just starting arguments and such.

of course, i'm negative a lot in the forums myself, but at least 10% of my posts (i'd estimate) are of the helpful category (answering questions about game maker for instance), and i don't purposefully try to start arguments, i just have & express strange opinions that most people disagree with, and i don't enjoy arguing as an end in itself, whereas to me he seems to

also, i was agreeing with the first sentence in the OP -- agreeing that his newfound impression of himself was also my impression of him, and welcoming the change

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 05:31:03 AM »

Excellent! We now have a dialogue between games, the heartfelt notions of Rohrers memento mori are shattered by the pure absurdian nihilism of this most cynical Life!

Who would have guessed that something interesting could come out of someone being rankled?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 05:06:59 AM »

I didn't like it as the graphics are ugly and the music is nothing but noise. And it obviously took very little effort and no talent to make...

Nah, just kidding. It's fun as a parody of Rohrer's game, as well as the cynical point it makes. But if you take away the commentary on Rohrer's game, it doesn't really seem to stand on its own. Plus, it's nowhere near as polished.

But nice effort and I agree with kinnas that's it's very cool something creative came from that mind-numbing discussion.

Laserbrain Studios
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »

Now that's more like it! I LOL'd.  :D
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »

This made me smile and i might consider you my hero for today.

Maybe you could have made a game that could really pass for the kind of art game you consider dumb, pretentious or whatever and then release it under a fake name and watch people's reaction. But maybe that would have been a little bit perverse (and a waste of time). It could have proven your point that this kind of "art" is easy to fake etc. But that would have been a little bit perverse (and certainly a waste of time) Smiley

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »

Maybe you could have made a game that could really pass for the kind of art game you consider dumb, pretentious or whatever and then release it under a fake name and watch people's reaction.

Funny thing is, if he did that, he'd have a message and meaning with that game that might just press it into art territory... Kinda like Dungeon's experiment with watching people react to an intentionally bugged game. Grin

Laserbrain Studios
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 03:22:24 PM »

Funny thing is, if he did that, he'd have a message and meaning with that game that might just press it into art territory...
Which would make his point stronger as he's saying you can sell anything as art as long as you add the right speech to it.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 04:04:06 PM »

Well, I think the intent of the game could push it into art territory, not any attached speech or statement of intent...

Which I guess you'd have to add if the intent was hidden by releasing it under a different name. Okay, point taken...

Aww, hell, I'm dragging myself into another games as art discussion...

Laserbrain Studios
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic