Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:50:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioA Walk In The Cold (by Brother Android)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Walk In The Cold (by Brother Android)  (Read 3269 times)
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »

http://8bitcollective.com/music/Brother+Android/A+Walk+In+The+Cold/

From an album-in-progress.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »

It retains the qualities that I liked in your recently released album. Quite good.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »

I like the plodding atmosphere coupled with the jittery beat. Good shit.   Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:24:45 PM »

Thank you, you are very kind. Yeah, I like messing around with rhythms and stuff, but I have a hard time making things that are truly chaotic and unsettling.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »

but I have a hard time making things that are truly chaotic and unsettling.
Do you even need to though?  Wink

(I guess if you want to but can't seem to, then that would be frustrating.  Sad)
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 06:19:51 AM »

Wow this is great. Reminds me of an 8 bit Boards of Canada, fits in great with that sort of relaxed electronic vibe but you can still feel there's more to the song then just that. It says here you have it licensed under creative commons? Would you might if I used this track in a game I'm making for a final project in college??

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »

I have a hard time making things that are truly chaotic and unsettling.
You mean from a technical point of view, or a creative one?
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »

Wow this is great. Reminds me of an 8 bit Boards of Canada, fits in great with that sort of relaxed electronic vibe but you can still feel there's more to the song then just that. It says here you have it licensed under creative commons? Would you might if I used this track in a game I'm making for a final project in college??
Go right ahead. Smiley I wouldn't mind a name-drop, but you don't have to if you don't want to. Wink

I have a hard time making things that are truly chaotic and unsettling.
You mean from a technical point of view, or a creative one?
Sort of a mixture of the two I suppose, but mainly the latter. I have a hard time figuring out how to create the kind of wicked noise that walks the line between harsh and compelling, and I have a hard time, I guess, making something really melodic and disorderly and being really sure that it's good, even though there are a lot of things like that that I enjoy listening to.
Do you even need to though?  Wink
I think harshness in music is great, in the right context. I usually don't enjoy things that are too uniformly pleasant in sound. And with musicians whose music is very pleasant - even if they're really great musicians, you eventually lose the feeling that truly anything could happen when you're listening to their music, and that's an unfortunate thing to happen in my opinion. Beauty is better when there's something to contrast it with. Or, I should say, prettiness, because I think even the harsh and "ugly" can be beautiful.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »

Well, I didn't think that Space Hymns was really "pleasant" to listen to, so I think you're not doing a bad job at all avoiding that.  If you mean not repeating yourself and getting stuck in a style rut, then a get what you mean.  Smiley
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 06:14:17 AM »

I think you'll get better at using harsh sounds in a "smart" way once you find out about the "dynamic" relationships between various frequencies and amplitudes, and how to produce certain timbres. I find that, when you're making electronic music, learning acoustics is often more valuable than learning music theory.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »

I think you'll get better at using harsh sounds in a "smart" way once you find out about the "dynamic" relationships between various frequencies and amplitudes, and how to produce certain timbres. I find that, when you're making electronic music, learning acoustics is often more valuable than learning music theory.
While I'm sure that's quite true (by the way, do you know anything good to read on the subject of acoustics as applied to music and sound production? I know some from physics classes, but not a lot that's actually helpful with sound design, though I've figured out bits myself), the main problem is just a combination of 1) not being able to do something I really like, and 2) not being able to resist the urge to "soften" the noise somehow with pretty melodies and stuff like that. :D

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 03:24:30 AM »

There's Curtis Roads's Computer Music Tutorial. It's very comprehensive (i.e. massive  Cheesy)  and deals with a lot of physics, but never in a way that goes over a "layman's" head. I'm not exactly a physics major either and I was able to understand pretty much everything. The only problem is that it was written in the 80's which is why parts of it are outdated, but most of it is still very useful.  Wink
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 08:52:16 PM »

I'll check that out. I'm on break; I should theoretically have time between marathon sessions of Ultima. :D

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »

Another track from the same album, which is now basically complete:

http://8bitcollective.com/music/Brother+Android/The+stars+come+out./

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 02:19:32 PM »

This is really lovely. I enjoyed your previous albums, and this feels even deeper. Still loving the warm lo-bit sound Smiley

pgil
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »

This is great. Can't wait for the album.
Captain_404
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »

Love the latest track, I can't wait to hear the next album!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic