Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:10:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Part Two Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Part Two Discussion  (Read 62077 times)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2009, 02:34:15 AM »

Don't the rules for part 1 pretty much state that all the stuff submitted will be released under a CC license?

It doesn't explicitly state one license in particular, so really, we're still in the situation where we can't go assuming things about how people are releasing their assets.

The most-obvious license (to me) would be CC's Non-Commercial Attribution license... but people may (for example) disagree as to whether they want to include 'Share-Alike' clauses, still. Non-Commercial is not quite the same as Free-To-Everybody, and it's definitely not the same as Free-To-Be-Used-As-A-Basis-For-Other-Works.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2009, 03:45:27 AM »

Don't the rules for part 1 pretty much state that all the stuff submitted will be released under a CC license?

It doesn't explicitly state one license in particular, so really, we're still in the situation where we can't go assuming things about how people are releasing their assets.

The most-obvious license (to me) would be CC's Non-Commercial Attribution license... but people may (for example) disagree as to whether they want to include 'Share-Alike' clauses, still. Non-Commercial is not quite the same as Free-To-Everybody, and it's definitely not the same as Free-To-Be-Used-As-A-Basis-For-Other-Works.

Yeah this kind of how I'm seeing it. So once I've finished working on this asset site my plan was to do a post asking artists from part one to pick the version of the CC license they're happy with so I can include their works in the database. And for those who don't see the post I guess I'll just go through them one by one and message them individually.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »

I for one is extremely pleased with this development! I always avoid participating in the compos because of lack of time, but having art and music assets would make a great difference! And if I could have a large selection to boot, then I'd be bordering on orbital-ballistic extacy.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »

Ina Vegt just asked me a good question about the license for Assemblee Part I arts, and I'm curious about other peoples thoughts on the matter.

Thanks  Smiley

What's the license on this art?

...I'm not sure what the license would be. Creative commons perhaps?  I think the idea is that the art made in Assemblee Part I is to be used in Part II and then credited.  However, I was happy to see that Alec used some for his Unity tutorial.  I love tutorials and sharing knowledge.

The 'Resources' thread might be a good place to ask everyone what the general license is on Part I assets.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9599.0

What version of CC, though?

I'm thinking of placing my part II game on gamejolt.com, which does not qualify for non-commercial, but it's not making huge profits either.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:03:54 PM by savethedinosaurs » Logged

Tempel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »

This is my work on a potential indie game asset repository site so far:

http://tigassets.lupusstudios.com/

I'm wondering if anyone else here has seen OpenGameArt.org.  It seems to be exactly what everyone was talking about one page ago, but it already exists.

The community there is really small, and maybe you don't like the interface or something, so another open assets site could still be useful.  But even then, art can be freely shared across both sites, so any new one could be populated very quickly with the assets of the old one.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2010, 02:01:50 AM »

I'm wondering if anyone else here has seen OpenGameArt.org.  It seems to be exactly what everyone was talking about one page ago, but it already exists.

The community there is really small, and maybe you don't like the interface or something, so another open assets site could still be useful.  But even then, art can be freely shared across both sites, so any new one could be populated very quickly with the assets of the old one.

Except, as the name suggests, it has a definite preference for content that's only allowed to be used in open source games.  Which is fair enough, but it's a bit restrictive for anyone who wants to keep creative control over their game.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Tempel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2010, 07:57:33 AM »

Except, as the name suggests, it has a definite preference for content that's only allowed to be used in open source games.  Which is fair enough, but it's a bit restrictive for anyone who wants to keep creative control over their game.

I think you're reading it as (Open Game) Art, whereas I view it as Open (Game Art).  But that site, and most any like it (including PerrinAshcroft's), allow a variety of licenses, some of which will explicitly allow closed-source development, some of which won't.  Their FAQ has something to say about it.
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2010, 10:57:57 PM »

Interesting, looks like someone has already done what I've been working on. Wonder if there is any point me continuing?

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2010, 03:15:26 AM »

I think you're reading it as (Open Game) Art, whereas I view it as Open (Game Art).  But that site, and most any like it (including PerrinAshcroft's), allow a variety of licenses, some of which will explicitly allow closed-source development, some of which won't.  Their FAQ has something to say about it.

Well I clicked this link because it was in their Twitter sidebar and read:

While many of the assets here on OGA are usable in non-open-source software, our primary objective is to provide support to open source projects.

So yeah, I certainly see they're providing art for a variety of projects, but their stated goal is to support open source games.  Maybe this does make TIGassets redundant, but I certainly imagine that people working in closed source freeware games might well like a site specifically aimed at them as well (in the sense that people would like a lot of things Tongue).

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »

Yeah but to be fair if you look around the stuff on there most people have allowed their stuff to be used under a creative commons license, so I think most closed sourced development is catered for by the site. And tbh their tech is more further along than mine.

Basically looks like this saves me a load more work. Can get back to finishing my Assemblee entry. ^_^

Now we just need to convince artists from Part 1 to put their stuff on that site.

Tempel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2010, 09:11:08 AM »

Well I clicked this link because it was in their Twitter sidebar and read:

While many of the assets here on OGA are usable in non-open-source software, our primary objective is to provide support to open source projects.

Well spotted.  So you could make a closed-source game from some of their art, but they won't go out of their ways to help you with it (and you couldn't use CC-BY-SA or GPL stuff without opening your code).  Furthermore, some poking around showed me that they don't use licenses with noncommercial requirements, which some artists here might like.

So yes, PerrinAshcroft, your work could still be useful to provide some flexibility for people who aren't as nuts about openness as I, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth your time.  If you do, art can still be freely imported from OpenGameArt, and anything under a compatible license could be exported there too.
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »

I've got a question, and I was kinda hoping that someone else would have asked it because I reckon the first person to ask it will probably come across as a bit of a dick. But heck, I'm prepared to be that dick (just this once)...  Shrug

The deadline for Assemblee part 1 got pushed back a bit (a week or two? I'm not sure exactly how long because there was a bit of a fuzzy period between part 1 ending and part 2 beginning). As far as I know, part of that was to do with Thanksgiving happening during part 1. There were some noises that part 2 might get a bit of an extension due to Christmas and New Year. My question is:

Does anyone know if that's going to happen? Is an extension likely?

Basically, my chances of finishing a halfway presentable game by Sunday are basically zero, so if I'm told that Sunday is that absolute final final deadline, I might as well hang up the compiler now and bow out. If there's going to be an extension (or, at least, if there's a feeling that an extension might well be likely), I might be able to work my ass off and get something finished. I'll just be gutted if I work my ass off this week only to find that Sunday is indeed the deadline and I've wasted my week, and even more gutted if I throw in the towel now only to find that Assemblee rumbles on for another week or two.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2010, 08:02:17 PM »

It wasn't officially pushed back, people just kept submitting things after the deadline anyway.

You can do the same with your games but there's no guarantee that Mr. Yu will like it.

hi
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2010, 11:10:09 AM »

I've got a question, and I was kinda hoping that someone else would have asked it because I reckon the first person to ask it will probably come across as a bit of a dick. But heck, I'm prepared to be that dick (just this once)...  Shrug

The deadline for Assemblee part 1 got pushed back a bit (a week or two? I'm not sure exactly how long because there was a bit of a fuzzy period between part 1 ending and part 2 beginning). As far as I know, part of that was to do with Thanksgiving happening during part 1. There were some noises that part 2 might get a bit of an extension due to Christmas and New Year. My question is:

Does anyone know if that's going to happen? Is an extension likely?

Basically, my chances of finishing a halfway presentable game by Sunday are basically zero, so if I'm told that Sunday is that absolute final final deadline, I might as well hang up the compiler now and bow out. If there's going to be an extension (or, at least, if there's a feeling that an extension might well be likely), I might be able to work my ass off and get something finished. I'll just be gutted if I work my ass off this week only to find that Sunday is indeed the deadline and I've wasted my week, and even more gutted if I throw in the towel now only to find that Assemblee rumbles on for another week or two.

I would say continue pushing on, a game is a game whether it's submitted to a compo or not.

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »

I agree, you might end up with something sweet.  If you don't make it in time you can always just let people know that it was intended for this compo which would explain the art assets.

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2010, 06:41:38 PM »

I'm going to push ahead anyway, although I don't think the end result is going to be quite what I had in my head at the start Huh? Probably I'll submit *something* on Sunday, but keep updating it for a week or so after that, and Derek can take whichever build he feels like for judging.

I would say continue pushing on, a game is a game whether it's submitted to a compo or not.

True, but I'm a competitive little freak! Evil "Hey guys, here's a game I made for a competition that I missed the deadline for, but I finished it anyway" is a lot less motivating for me than "This is my prize-winning entry! WORSHIP MY INDIE SKILLS!"...  Wink

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2010, 03:21:18 AM »

True, but I'm a competitive little freak! Evil "Hey guys, here's a game I made for a competition that I missed the deadline for, but I finished it anyway" is a lot less motivating for me than "This is my prize-winning entry! WORSHIP MY INDIE SKILLS!"...  Wink

Just do it, and claim that you're in an exotic timezone using some kind of oriental calendar that says you got it on time[citation needed].

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »

Looking forward to the 11th - my game is really bad and I'm very tired of working on it.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2010, 06:00:44 PM »

Looking forward to the 11th - my game is really bad and I'm very tired of working on it.
Ditto haha.

hi
ChiggenWingz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2010, 06:42:22 PM »

Need moar time  Cry
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic