Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:34:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Wizard3D [ALPHA]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Wizard3D [ALPHA]  (Read 12246 times)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2009, 12:41:43 AM »

What it is:
I'm making a hi-res, lo-fi FPS, where you play as a Wizard. Kinda like this guy  Hand Point Right Wizard

ALPHA VERSION
http://26k.org/dev/play/wizard3D_v023.zip

What it look like:

I'm building this game to support resolutions up to 1920x1200. Giant pixels for everyone

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:07:12 PM by lowpoly » Logged

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:42:02 AM »

mini devlog

+ test level up
+ added data file support
+ pixel art extruded in 3D
+ added door primitives
+ added base FX system
+ first playable v009
+ updated origin of player's attacks
+ added base first person weapon
+ rough level blocked out
+ first enemy AI pass
+ projectile weapon vs. environment impact FX
+ Alpha version v023
+ added sound effects engine
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:04:01 AM by lowpoly » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:59:31 AM »

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Kiss

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:09:33 AM »

I'm building this game to support resolutions up to 1920x1200. Giant pixels for everyone
Does that include aspect ratios of 16:10? I have a sexy monitor and would like to run it fullscreen.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:27:22 AM »

I think both 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 are considered 16:10, so you should be good.

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:12:23 AM »

My lord! It's like NetHack in virtual reality! When I was a kid in the eighties, this is pretty much what we expected 21st Century computer games to look like.

So far, this is my favourte of the many games using Oryx's sprites. At least in terms of how it looks.  Hand Clap Kiss

longshot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:08:10 AM »

This looks great!  Can't wait to see what you do for viewmodels.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 04:36:49 AM »

How do you extrude?
Is it an automated process or do you painfully make it by hand?

Looks awesome mang!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »

How do you extrude?
Is it an automated process or do you painfully make it by hand?

Looks awesome mang!

thanks all!

So originally, I was going to use the sprites at 4x res as billboards but I wasn't real thrilled with how they looked up close in the game, especially at high res. I ended up writing a little function that reads the RGB of each pixel in a sprite, decides whether or not it's a corner, edge, etc. from the surrounding pixels, and builds out it's respective sides in space using the RGB as vertex color. For the time being, I'm ignoring the backfacing polys since I have the characters set up to always face the camera on the Y axis.

I'm considering building out the backfacing polys and allowing the characters to freely roam around before they are aware of you. I'll have to figure out a solution for coloring their 'backs' tho since right now it's the same as the front.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »

Look(ed) good! (Your image links seem to be broken today)

How about orienting the characters edge-on when they're facing away from you/hiding? Smiley

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 08:55:55 AM »

bah, fixed. Guess you can't use tumblr as an image host  Angry

That's not a bad idea, I'm just no sure how it would look when you are above/below them. I'm starting to think that with the style of gameplay I'm designing for, I wont even need them to do anything but face and attack you. Which would be great, cause there's still a ton of other housekeeping things I have to square away now before I can release a playable. Which leads me to a...

mini update
Nothing new to show yet, but I spent last night trying to figure out how to make all the particles in the game camera-facing. Using a single surface particle system, I have to manually move each vertex on each particle to orient it to the camera. The math is a bit beyond me, so I'm struggling with it right now. It's working in my test, but fully implementing it will take at least another night of programming. 

Juha Kangas
Level 0

Scandalous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »

This relly looks great!  Beer!

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:04 AM »

are you thinking of texturing the world too? or keeping it mostly color?
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »

There are plenty of tilesets that would look good on walls.  (Not to mention Oryx's own tilesets)

hi
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:05:39 PM »

yup, def planning on texturing everything but I need to concentrate on level design and gameplay first and foremost. I ran a little test with some of the textures as a proof of concept earlier and they looked good in first person, so I'm really excited about it. Just figure I'll hammer through this early part, get everything working right, then get on to the fun part Smiley

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »

I love the way this looks. Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »

First Playable  Wizard
http://26k.org/dev/play/wizard_v009.zip

WASD to move, SPACE to jump, SHIFT to run, LMB to shoot, RMB to open doors
R to reset and I to invert the mouse.
ESC to quit

Not too much going on here yet, but you can run and jump around, shoot fireballs, and fall in a big inescapable pit. I'm interested in whether or not the game runs smoothly for everyone and how the controls/action feels. I know WASD doesn't work for everyone but I haven't had time to write a proper key setup yet.

Also, feel free to send along any resolution requests you want to see in future versions.

Thanks, looking forward to the feedback!

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »

Ran perfectly smooth for me in my computer's normal resolution (1280x1024). Controls took me a minute to get used to when jumping across the white columns in the pit since in FPS games I'm used to maintaining my forward movement when jumping, but it didn't take me long to adjust to fully and ultimately just gave me more control over my jumps.

The fireball effect looks very nice, but it's hard to see since it is more or less coming out of the center of your eye. It'd look a lot nicer, I think, if it followed the approach taken by similar games where it is offset to one side or the bottom.

I also rather like the 3D effect on the enemy sprites, which is why I was a bit disappointed that they always face you, making it more or less impossible to see unless you get right up on top of an enemy. I recognize that they'd be hard to see if they didn't face you, but considering most "combat" seems to be relatively long-range, there isn't much difference between the 3D sprites and 2D ones.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 04:23:01 PM »

Looks great so far!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »

With the flat color and the lighting the way it is, everything looks... eerily crisp.  I dig it.

Runs silky smooth at 1680x1050 for me.  Eerily silky smooth.

The fireball effect looks very nice, but it's hard to see since it is more or less coming out of the center of your eye. It'd look a lot nicer, I think, if it followed the approach taken by similar games where it is offset to one side or the bottom.

I also rather like the 3D effect on the enemy sprites, which is why I was a bit disappointed that they always face you, making it more or less impossible to see unless you get right up on top of an enemy. I recognize that they'd be hard to see if they didn't face you, but considering most "combat" seems to be relatively long-range, there isn't much difference between the 3D sprites and 2D ones.

Agreed on both points.  Perhaps the enemies could be a little "loose" with their camera orientation?  Just to show off their 3Dness and all.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic