Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:20:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFishie Fishie
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Fishie Fishie  (Read 6674 times)
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »

It works on Linux!
Really?
I haven't tried it yet, but in theory it should be possible through TuxCap. I'll probably need to make some minor adjustments first though.
grzegorz.holdys
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 12:07:18 AM »

The game works simply under wine. No fuss. Just install and play. Super!

P.S.
I use Fedora 8.0 and wine 0.9.52
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 02:50:51 PM »

The game works simply under wine. No fuss. Just install and play. Super!

P.S.
I use Fedora 8.0 and wine 0.9.52

It doesn't run at all here (tried 0.9.50 and 0.9.53)..  I've had success running some other things people have reported as not working though.  Wine compatibility is highly volatile Lips Sealed
grzegorz.holdys
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »

It turns out, that the game doesn't run as smooth on my system as I initially thought Cry. There is no music and I have to clear the game's entries from registry after quiting, in order to play again.
But it's still a nice game Smiley
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »

Thanks to feedback the latest update includes:
* Less vomit inducing "well done" spinners in the perfect win screen
* Streams of blood in the White Pointer Bay levels
* Less of a slomo drift racing feel in the first 7 levels

More importantly though, I'm now investigating getting a real linux port sorted out. Hurrah!
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 06:31:42 PM »

Played the game, I don't really have much to say because everyone else can critique way better than I can! A few things that really jumped out at me:

1) All the graphics are spinny, animated, and fun. I like this.
2) The fishies screams make me want to snuggle them Undecided. Adorable.
3) It starts out really hard. I've never made it past the third level.

And this is just a general question... is there any special software you used to make those scream*.wav sounds? I'm working on a game with cute little things, and speeding up my voice didn't sound too good.

Other than needing the difficulty to be configured (maybe an option?), I think it's absolutely wonderful!
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 06:41:20 PM »

Ta.

The difficulty started really high 'cos I accidentally uploaded it with some of my testing code enabled. This meant that the game would only ever play the levels I'd just revised, which were indeed rather difficult. There are about 100 people out there now with a really crap version of the game Shocked Shocked Shocked

Fixed version is uploading now.

As for the screams... I'm pretty sure I mostly just recorded myself and sped it up. I probably tweaked the compression and eq'd it a bit too, but that's all quite easy in Audacity. As for the performance, I did a lot of takes and really tried to make it sound authentic. Basically I shouted for half an hour. I recommend warning your housemates beforehand Smiley
grzegorz.holdys
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 10:25:13 AM »

Just one thing. After one gets a high score and is asked to enter their name, there is message saying something like "Hey, maybe you could try again!". I think, that this message is a little confusing. The first time I saw this, I thought, that there was an error and that I am supposed to enter my name again Wink
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 02:35:44 PM »

Ta.

The difficulty started really high 'cos I accidentally uploaded it with some of my testing code enabled. This meant that the game would only ever play the levels I'd just revised, which were indeed rather difficult. There are about 100 people out there now with a really crap version of the game Shocked Shocked Shocked

Fixed version is uploading now.

As for the screams... I'm pretty sure I mostly just recorded myself and sped it up. I probably tweaked the compression and eq'd it a bit too, but that's all quite easy in Audacity. As for the performance, I did a lot of takes and really tried to make it sound authentic. Basically I shouted for half an hour. I recommend warning your housemates beforehand Smiley

Is that the reason I have only 4 levels?
It took me a couple of days to finally manage to get to the 4th level and actually get through it, and then I'm surprised by the first level again!
That explains a lot! I was wondering why the game was so reddish so soon!  :D

I will leave some feedback when I play through the whole version of the game, but looks great so far!  Smiley

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

Right on Farbs. This is definitely one of the best casual-type games I have played.

I really liked the combos actually, it gave an extra added dimension to the game that gives it a little more depth and gives me something to work toward.

The difficulty level is perfect, it is not too difficult so as not to be infuriating but not so simple as to be a completely "casual" affair.

It does seem like the hunger gauge depletes rather quickly after only a few levels, I wouldn't say that you should stagger the hunger bar depletion rate (I am a sucker for a good, difficult game) but other players might find it a tab bit frustrating.

Admittedly, at first the control was very weird and frustrating initially but after getting past the first level I really started liking the challenge that it presented. I think that a two button scheme would just make the game a little too easy, I liked the fact that I had to time my button presses in order to eat the fish.

Anyways, great game man Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 02:10:48 PM »

All I can I say about the game has sort of already been said, but I'll say it again.  Tongue

The whole idea of the one button control seemed really weird at first but after a few levels I started moving around with ease.

The graphics suit the theme perfectly and the sound (especially the fishes' screaming) were great.

A couple of thing I really liked were the level design, because somehow the game managed to have a story that really impeled me to play more, and, of course, the poems, that gave the game a great sense of humor and personality.  Grin

My only critics are that the game lacks mouse button support, so you can't just click to move the fishy, and that the hunger gauge is too small, as the game's difficulty was kinda frustrating (to me) at later levels.

Hope my two cents have been helpful!   Smiley

Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »

Great polish, love the style, and the music is wicked. Changing the controls would go against the mechanics of the game but I found them very counter-intuitive (I managed to get to level 5 or so without ever dying though).

Great job!

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »

I had pretty much nothing to do with this (other than getting a chunk of $ at the start), but it's been fun watching it evolve. It's a very different beast to the one I unleashed however many years ago.

Anybody want to make the next one?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 06:36:22 PM »

Oh, hell. I didn't know this was being ported. And multiplayer? Sweet.

Oh and that is some pretty heavy music in that trailer.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »

So... XBLIG Fishie Fishie. Let's talk about that.
* I've nearly finished a port of the original free game
* I added multiplayer, using all of the controls I could. You can now have up to 50 players in the game. It is silly.
* Hunger system is going to go away, so instead of struggling to stay alive you now struggle to eat more than your opponents. I'll spawn some AI fish for single player to keep you company.
* Combo system is out, since it created too large a score gap between the players.
* Level intro speech is probably going away. With several players a level lasts only a couple of seconds, so you spend all your time in the menus. I think it's best to skip quickly to the next level instead.
* New music. I was tempted to use metal as in the Fishie Fishie Wii trailer, but it didn't work out. Anyone who played Little Shit Planet might recognise a few pieces.

...and that's about all I have planned. Is there anything people would actually like to see in the game? Any thoughts on cool stuff I could do with/to it?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic