Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:17:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Have Adventures [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Have Adventures [FINISHED]  (Read 7047 times)
cpets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »

ASSEMBLEE DEADLINE SERVER
ONGOING DEVELOPMENT SERVER

Have adventures with nothing more than your standards-compliant* browser! Make new adventures with the same!

*Firefox and Safari should work. IE will not.

2010-01-28, AM: Much optimization is done, back to sane fps.
2010-01-27, PM: Added a link to the very much reworked development server. Noted that some optimization is needed.
2010-01-10, PM: Hacked together an almost-game! With editor! And saving!
2009-12-11, PM: Added an editor. It doesn't save. It just is.
2009-12-11, AM: I'm testing in Firefox 3.5.5 and Chromium 4.0.269 on Linux. Does anyone see anything on real platforms?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:25:00 AM by Cap » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »

Works here - I went on a jolly trot through a rather large forest.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »

Works for me, Firefox on XP.

racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »

Works in Safari 4 & FF3.5.5 on my mac Smiley  Also works on my android phone!  Except that the browser interprets a keypress without a formfield focused as me asking to go to the location bar, so it's pretty hard to play there :/

Looks great, cool to see a game made with canvas+jQuery!

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
IceGladiator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:25:58 AM »

Its working on Firefox 3.0.15 on Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Pretty cool game  Smiley Can't wait to see some more
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »

Chrome running in Vista 7 seems to work. I saw a boomerang and then a lot of forest.

-SirNiko
CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:45:25 AM »

Here are my findings.

Works fine in Firefox 3.5.5 and Chrome 4.0.249.25 under Windows XP SP3. In Opera 10.01 it runs but is extremely unresponsive and the controls are delayed. In IE7 and 8, it just doesn't run, it gives me the error message:

Line: 160
Char: 5
Code: 0
URI: http://cap.github.com/have_adventures/js/ha.js

I've not tried Safari as I don't have a current version installed, but it'll likely do similar to Chrome.

cpets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 09:59:02 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the testing everyone! 

Also works on my android phone!  Except that the browser interprets a keypress without a formfield focused as me asking to go to the location bar, so it's pretty hard to play there :/

I was just sitting in the shower wondering whether it had a chance in hell of working on a mobile device. Better than I would have guessed.

In Opera 10.01 it runs but is extremely unresponsive and the controls are delayed. In IE7 and 8, it just doesn't run

I guess I expected breakage in IE, as I don't think it even supports the canvas element. I remember seeing some hack to emulate it. On to the todo list...

With FF and Chrome/Safari working all around, sounds like I have some good reasons to keep going. After work, sadly.
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »

Works well on W7/Firefox. Smiley Glad to see another person making a 1bit Oryxlike!

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:44:43 AM »

I'm currently on a first-generation Eee using Xandros and Firefox 2.0.0.7. The game hangs my browser, which is slightly disappointing both because I wanted to Have Adventures and because this means Racter's phone is more powerful than the laptop I am using for notes in class.

I don't think this counts as a "real platform" though Tongue.

racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 10:54:48 AM »

I'm currently on a first-generation Eee using Xandros and Firefox 2.0.0.7. The game hangs my browser

I think the canvas element was broken for a while in Firefox 2.

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:58:23 AM »

Firefox 2.0 doesn't support canvas either I believe.

Ah the joys of "platform independence" with javascript Smiley

I think it's pretty slick though. Never seen a canvas actually used for something like this before. Working fine on firefox 3.5, windows 7 64-bit.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 11:05:17 AM »

I just had an adventure!  Cheesy

Anyway, one thing: I had my character "merge" with the trees or his eye "blocked out" by a patch of grass occasionally, which looked a bit jarring. Perhaps you could change that? Otherwise, this was a neat little "thing".  Wink
cpets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 09:22:17 PM »

Ah the joys of "platform independence" with javascript Smiley

Ha, yea, if I really wanted platform independence I'd be writing in actionscript. Yuk.

I just had an adventure!  Cheesy

Anyway, one thing: I had my character "merge" with the trees or his eye "blocked out" by a patch of grass occasionally, which looked a bit jarring. Perhaps you could change that? Otherwise, this was a neat little "thing".  Wink

I'm glad your adventuring bar is as low as mine. I'd get much more done if I didn't spend 10 minutes wandering around for every 2 minutes I spend coding.

Collision detection is near the top of the list, right after I write the function that fills the entire page with awesome. Which hopefully I finish tonight.
cpets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 11:22:59 PM »

I've been working on this now and again, but today I pushed to get something complete and so it is. By which I mean, *bump*.
cndpnts
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »

Nifty. I spent some time playing around with it and created http://74.207.253.57/adventures/182c7083c6b84b3bc126021c59fc198b

Seems to work well in Safari
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 01:27:53 AM »

Works well on FF under Linux. Would like a win screen or something, though, when you've vanquished all enemies.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »

Liked: Being able to make my own levels.

Disliked: I just get shot and die instantly in every game. I even made my own level with one enemy hidden behind trees. He just shot through them and insta-killed me. When there was a lot on screen it was hard to tell what was what.

Conclusion: Nice idea, but to unforgiving to be fun.

cpets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 06:35:47 PM »

Liked: Being able to make my own levels.

Disliked: I just get shot and die instantly in every game. I even made my own level with one enemy hidden behind trees. He just shot through them and insta-killed me. When there was a lot on screen it was hard to tell what was what.

Conclusion: Nice idea, but to unforgiving to be fun.

Thanks for the feedback! I feel a little guilty about declaring this "finished," since as you note there's not much of a game or balance. But it took me long enough to get all the javascript and database stuff to gel that I wanted to feel like I'd met some milestone.

So, all that said, I'm still working on this, and I have a boatload of improvements to push out soon, maybe once the voting deadline passes so that nobody mistakenly thinks I finished a real game before the deadline.
cpets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 06:37:14 PM »

Nifty. I spent some time playing around with it and created http://adventures.cd21.org/adventures/182c7083c6b84b3bc126021c59fc198b

Seems to work well in Safari

Grin I think it was pretty much my entire hope in writing this that someone who was not me would make that map.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic