Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411513 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:27:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Help choosing the right game creation tool
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help choosing the right game creation tool  (Read 2107 times)
makis
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »

Hi
I want to create a low poly, 3d, first person game and i'm looking for an easy game creation tool. Due to my non existent programming knowledge and skills, anything involving scripting is out of question! Any suggestions guys?
Thanks in advance.
ChevyRay
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:50:20 PM »

low poly, 3d
easy game creation tool
non existent programming knowledge and skills

http://unity3d.com

It's even free to use now.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »

...anything involving scripting is out of question!

You're screwed Tongue.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:35:13 PM »

...anything involving scripting is out of question!

You're screwed Tongue.

Second! Game over

even rpgmaker have script

EDIT: or maybe try UDK
i think gameplay is handle through kismet a node base "scripting" that don't feel like one (didn't try yet)...

It can do hipo why not lopo (even if UDK it's not what we are thinking when it come to lopo)

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:46:58 AM »

If you think about a "script" as just a set of executing actions, and that's out of the question then... why are you interested in making a game? 
makis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:58:37 AM »

A while ago i've created a 2D platform game (a Pharaoh's Tomb remake) using Gamemaker's  D&D actions. I'm looking for something similar in 3D.I don't want to mess with too much technical stuff 'cause i don't have too much free time, i'm married,i have a kid and also i'm terrible at programming:).
PlayMeTape
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 02:03:57 AM »

A while ago i've created a 2D platform game (a Pharaoh's Tomb remake) using Gamemaker's  D&D actions. I'm looking for something similar in 3D.I don't want to mess with too much technical stuff 'cause i don't have too much free time, i'm married,i have a kid and also i'm terrible at programming:).

Then I'd suggest UDK even though it will be terribly limited (gameplaywise) unless you know how to script. Basically, you will be able to make a Unreal Tournament map/level with your own graphics Wink.

There might be something out there for you but I sure haven't heard of it.
makis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »

After some research i found some programs that propably suit my needs, FPS Creator X10 and Blender.
FPSC X10 uses DirectX 10 and looks like a promising tool for FPS game creation. However, the system requirements are high and it runs only on Windows Vista and Windows 7. Also in order to implement text in your game (dialog etc) you have to resort to scripting.

On the other side Blender requirements are very low, it's a modelling program with an integrated game engine and there are a lot of books and documentation available. The downside is that the interface is a mess with coommands, icons , toolbars all over the place and as far as i know there aren't any games created with it.

Eraser
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »

On the other side Blender requirements are very low, it's a modelling program with an integrated game engine and there are a lot of books and documentation available. The downside is that the interface is a mess with coommands, icons , toolbars all over the place and as far as i know there aren't any games created with it.
Blender is a modelling program, you should expect it to be a modelling program first and a game engine second. All of those "coommands, icons , toolbars all over the place" are generally for the modelling aspect, and once you get to know them a bit, they are all useful.

The only game I know of that was created with it was created by a mass collection of people for the game Yo Frankie. There are also a number of video tutorials they released about developing for this type of game, which you should probably google if you want to use Blender.

...Just keep in mind, it's definitely not going to be an easy ride.
makis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 02:30:40 AM »

Is it possible to create a game like 8 Bit Killer using FPS Creator?
I have this idea of a first person game with a Wolfenstein 3D look, loads of dialog and some outdoor levels.
I'm not interested in pixel shaders, trillions of polygons and stuff. I'm opting for an 8bit old school look and feel!

http://www.locomalito.com/juegos_8bit_killer.php
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 04:47:39 AM »

I'd say minimun requirements FPS Creator dx10, vista/win7 for a wolfenstein-clone might be some slight overkill on the cpu.

why don't you look into modding an existing old wolfensteintype game ?
But i doubt you'll stay script-free for long, It's were the real fun is at!

the very one: http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/levels-mapedit.htm

[edit] to answer your question directly : possible? perhabs, but it'll become very very complicated because you want to use the fps creator engine in a way that its NOT designed for. You'll be scripting/coding your ass off . (and it still would be the most thinkable overkill on every card and chip in your pc)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:14:24 AM by nikki » Logged
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »

Is it possible to create a game like 8 Bit Killer using FPS Creator?
I have this idea of a first person game with a Wolfenstein 3D look, loads of dialog and some outdoor levels.
I'm not interested in pixel shaders, trillions of polygons and stuff. I'm opting for an 8bit old school look and feel!

http://www.locomalito.com/juegos_8bit_killer.php

I've been playing around with a similar idea myself; a fps where all the in-game objects are billboard sprites like in Doom or, indeed, Wolfenstein, so I'm following the thread with interest.

With the speed increases reported in the new version of Game Maker, it might be possible to do it in that, and it would certainly minimise the learning curve for you if you've used GM already, but it's probably not advisable. Pencerkoff's currently trying to do it here.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »

Game Maker can easily do Wolfenstein or low-poly style 3D, Cactus has done quite a few first person shooter games with it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic