Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:10:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallhello löve: i really don't know who you are [complete] [version 1.1]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: hello löve: i really don't know who you are [complete] [version 1.1]  (Read 4463 times)
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

Professional by day, indie by night.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:56:29 PM »

löve.
Löve is a requirement for this experience.

This is the experience.

W.
"Why doesn't he have an ass?" People begin to whisper among themselves. Children speak barely loud enough to embarrass their parents: "Where's his ass, mother?" Rumors spread. Riots begin. Shit gets stolen. Next thing you know, your grandmother is bolting her door and praying twice as hard; however, it never seems to console her. "What kind of benevolent god would bring such an ass-less abomination into this world?" She doubts herself. Tosses. Turns. She is unable to fall asleep. It becomes a problem.

I've no ass. None at all. If course, if you knew me, this would come as no surprise at all.

A.
Anticipation builds. The explanation awaits. The group swells as one large, blistering creature, tumorous chests rise and swell with a unified gasp of air as everything instantly drifts into focus—lenses snap and whirr as steamwork machinations ratchet them down into horrific, spiderlike helmets, ultimately bringing absolute clarity and subtle disappointment:

I have fucking worked my ass off.

Not on this little toy, mind you. LÖVE is merely a distraction. It is a plaything. It is escape.

I do not know Lua. Not a bit. C# with XNA and ActionScript are where my strengths lie. But as the eleventh hour fast approached, iron arms spinning mindlessly around platters of self importance, I decided to forget the work. To forget the mindless undead that wandered the abandoned relic. To forget the structure itself, spinning carelessly like the clocks that mock us all. To forget the thing, the terrible dilapidation, crawling with bugs of every form and fashion which only emerge from the ancient stone as if to mock my endeavors at truly creating a Monolith.

S.
Slowly and sensuously I pressed my fingers across the warm plastic, letting every clack and hum guide my body to convergence with this bracket-less simulacrum of the building blocks of my youth. Each simple depression brought someone whom I had not been acquainted with into this convolution of walls and floors. Even stranger, sometimes these people's person would be replaced with that of a beast. Horses, some. Lions, others.

I know Lua. Well, at least enough to control creation (and destroy hours of perfectly productive time). This toy, this meager excuse for a diversion, may find itself under the influence of a creative power again soon. Maybe not.

D.
Doubtful, but, maybe.

B.
The clocks taunt me with time. It's been a total of eight hours. 6:00. AM. Shit. I've been at it for too long, this piece of brainfuck that refuses to give me sleep. All I wanted was a break, not a chore. Now it's done, now I can rest. Now I can forget who all these people are. Now you can forget yourselves.

The chain has been broken and the link has been renewed. Time flows backwards and starts again.

N.
Now, Oddball does have a, shall we say, "familiarization" with these figures. These husks of what could have been. I took them from him, stole them away in a labyrinth of his own creation. Irony, no doubt. The ducks are too small. You can't see the ducks. The bugs are worse, I suppose. Rationalizations being what they are, I guess they deserve it.

Let them dream their dreams of gold. Let them search, let them starve. Let them dream of getting torn apart by beasts vulgar and vile, then laugh in their distorted faces when they realize that there are none. It is only them. They are both the beast and the dreamer. They are alone.

M.
Many would view this as a crisis. As a juxtaposition of things not to be. No sleep. No time. No food. No time. No skill. Hah. I doubt that verily. I view it as a gift. A game of sorts. A game none can win. Neither the player nor the played will receive any form of satisfaction from this excursion. There is treasure, but it's merely the realization that it cannot be stopped.

So, sure. Press the buttons. Watch the walls appear. Watch them fade. Watch them stay where you left them. Think you're in control. Let it sink in.

Then we will both have a laugh.

escape.
Escape is for the weak. The challenged. The bored. Yes, you can escape, but they will always be there, trapped between bits and bytes.

This is the end of the story. The walls outside the world you perceive are no longer being created. They are not shown. There is an increase in performance. Noticeable, but slight.

This is the end of the story. No more will be writ unless insects begin to wriggle their way out of the stones and make themselves known.

The chain has been broken and the link has been renewed. Time flows backwards and starts again.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:48:38 PM by Zachary Lewis » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »

oh, is that an indy cameo (spelunky man) ?

I played for awhile trying to get the panda, but never did. I did get the duck though. And, of course, indy.
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:39:53 PM »

I have no idea what I just read, but it was awesome in some strange kind of way.

Concerning the game: I pressed the buttons, watched the walls appear, watched them fade, watched them stay where I left them, thought I'm in control and let it sink in.

Then I laughed.

And then I escaped.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »

I clicked on this thread thinking "Finally, LÖVE gets recognition! I hope this game is good and inspires more people to make stuff with it..."

Soon afterwards I thought "Guh it's just a pretentious art game... Crazy"

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:33:15 PM »

Shit's so pretentious.

I added a few images to the first post to let people know what they're getting, and what they're getting is mazes. Everyone fucking loves mazes, right? Giggle

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »

Mazes are my fucking crack. Thank you sir, for the fix.  Crazy

Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:00:05 PM »

Anytime. If you want to work a moody track or two, I'd be glad to put it into the game. Smiley It was basically a for-funzizes that I whipped up in 12 hours, but I'd be glad to add a bit more polish. I think a really subtle, brooding piece would make it be... louder. Tongue

Also, I should note that the game has been updated to version 1.1. It has better map generation, improved framerate in b. mode, and more introspection. Also, it tells you what version you've got. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:23:55 PM by Zachary Lewis » Logged

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »

Aren't these Oddball's graphics rather than Oryx's?

Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 03:48:49 PM »

Yes. And fixed.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 12:34:25 PM »

Gentleman

(I will try and get round to installing Love and this and giving some constructive comment too...)

Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 05:55:12 AM »

I'll just go ahead and leave these here...

Hope you like mazes.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic