Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:42:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender (PlayStation Mobile and XBOX)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender (PlayStation Mobile and XBOX)  (Read 43809 times)
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »

Hey - so I have been meaning to setup a devlog for this for some time, and finally am... Smiley

WHAT'S THIS ALL ABOUT?
This project has been super slow in development, the sort where it gets an hour or so a week if it's very lucky. It began as a quick simple experiment a friend was coding as something - but then it mutated a lot over time, and the is now targeted for release on xbox indies (XBLIG) first to be followed later by a PC release. Its just a 3 person team, audio and code and art (with design shared).

OK BUT WHAT'S THE GAME?
At its core it is an arcadey side scrolling shooter set very loosely in the mould of defender, with 16bit styled graphics.
The game has a campaign map that allows players to be progressively introduced to the different enemies, as well as give branching route options.

(shrunk half res)

Some other features include:
An alternate rapid-fire weapon whose recharge you have to manage (it also upgrades over time).
Kill chaining enemies for increased score.
Depth based pick-ups that allow you to influence the position and type of the special dropped (so players can use them to fit their style of play).

"Due to a sudden shortage of milk, kittens are forced to look to the oceans to get their fix. Overcoming their fear of water they drill down into the seabed to extract vast untapped reserves of naturally forming full-fat milk."

Your crew sails the seas, and deploy their kitten-piloted submarine where ever the mining operation is in peril - "the milk must flow!" [poor Dune related gag].

(updated 19 Mar 2012)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:56:16 PM by Dugan » Logged

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »

Looks very pretty.  I am interested in this!

Zulaan
Level 2

┌∩┐(◕‿◕)┌∩┐

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »

This looks awesome!
Posting so I can follow this...

I got twenty-five cans in my knapsack, crossin out the wick-wack
Puttin up my name with a fat cap
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »

The milk must flow, I love it.
I'm hoping this is like FF meets Metal Slug.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:30:01 PM »

Cute premise, cool art. Looking forward to trying this out.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:20:37 AM »

"naturally forming full-fat milk"
...haha, nice.

So, 60%? Show us other stuff!

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:17:01 AM »

Here's a quick bit on the submarine development. I have a soft spot for an old sprite I made for a GBA demo years ago (2003?), that was later tweaked for a top down submarine demo/experiment (for the cockpit compo in 2009 - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5187.0).

But for this game the resolution now needed upping (as it runs in a 1280x720 window). It started off firing torpedoes, but after tinkering about has ended up with chunky recoiling machine guns rather than torpedo tubes - to better suit the gameplay.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »

Will there be catfish?
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:22:36 AM »

Will there be catfish?

arf - no, no catfish or dogfish  Smiley

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 11:58:41 AM »

excuse the double post...

Here are some examples of the enemies - the latest ones have a bit more polish but the style is the same.
All are mechanised sea creatures in a zoid-like manner.

Zulaan
Level 2

┌∩┐(◕‿◕)┌∩┐

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 01:54:26 PM »

I like the crab the most but I love them all!
Great work.

EDIT: I wanna see a turtle enemy
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:28:37 PM by Zulaan » Logged

I got twenty-five cans in my knapsack, crossin out the wick-wack
Puttin up my name with a fat cap
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 02:54:51 PM »

Yup, crab is the best, but all graphics look great!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »

You've got a real impressive style, here! I always love mechanized enemies. And those kitties!  Kiss
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 02:13:16 AM »

->

Aaaand here's an updated pic. The golden goldfish needed to be scaled up as it was proving too annoying to shoot (it moves fast and drops pickups).

Others have detail and colouration tweaks to help them look a bit more distinct from one another when the screen gets busy.

Will try to show how the waves developed next (animating waves just isn't fun).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:36:46 AM by Dugan » Logged

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »

This game... is gonna rock my world.

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »

Cool, that long purple enemy looks very nice indeed.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »

Looks like they could go in a MegaMan game. Epic sprite art. WTF

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »

Thanks for the comments folks!

Here's a bit of info on the sea for the game. Due to time limitations I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, so the initial idea was just to animate speckling a few pixels on the water surface:

But once level scrolling about - this looked pretty weak, so an alternative method was needed.
I thought I`d try to do a short animating wave loop, forgetting how much I hate animating rippling things:

I was trying to get a sense of a rolling sea swell in there, but this 1st attempt was all up and down with no side motion.

Then next I tried to make the waves build from one side rather than having mirrored slopes (above), but then that need a few more iterations before it felt ok.

And then a few different wave layers were used to help give a sense of depth and choppiness to the sea surface:

(it's darn hard trying to animate the sea, but very rewarding once it looks half decent  Beer!).

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 08:42:32 AM »

Thanks for the comments folks!

Here's a bit of info on the sea for the game. Due to time limitations I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, so the initial idea was just to animate speckling a few pixels on the water surface:

But once level scrolling about - this looked pretty weak, so an alternative method was needed.
I thought I`d try to do a short animating wave loop, forgetting how much I hate animating rippling things:

I was trying to get a sense of a rolling sea swell in there, but this 1st attempt was all up and down with no side motion.

Then next I tried to make the waves build from one side rather than having mirrored slopes (above), but then that need a few more iterations before it felt ok.

And then a few different wave layers were used to help give a sense of depth and choppiness to the sea surface:

(it's darn hard trying to animate the sea, but very rewarding once it looks half decent  Beer!).

Can you make a short in-game gif? ;p

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »

not sure - maybe using fraps or something? I'll try to find out

UPDATE: I managed to grab the sea in-engine and crop it down, but the gif was pretty large filesizewise, so I popped it onto youtoob instead (cant embed on these forums can we?).

http://www.youtube.com/user/TikipodLtd#p/a/u/0/DeyPreMZiGo
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:35:50 AM by Dugan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic