Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:32:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFranchise: Soundtrack added
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Franchise: Soundtrack added  (Read 19260 times)
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:06:55 AM »

I wanted to start getting some testing in on a little project of mine.

Franchise is a tactics game that I've been kicking around for a while.  It is set in a dismal future world in which nations have collapsed and four powerful fast food chains struggle for dominance in a world spanning war.

This latest build is the first to feature multiplayer modes, both single machine hotseat and local LAN play are supported.  I'd like to get some testing in, so if people can bang away at them, especially the LAN play, it would be much appreciated.

The graphics are all placeholders right now, just imported from the map editor.  My artist and I and about to get rocking on nice 3D models for all the units and terrain, and I'm going to redesign the look of the windows and GUI elements, so don't bitch about the graphics, they're temporary.

Here's a quick little screen shot:

For the impatient:

This build features hotseat, LAN, and a small tutorial campaign.

Downloads:

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

For the more curious:

The project was largely inspired by Shining Force and Master of Monsters, two very fine Sega Genesis games.  I wanted to take the mixed-initiative combat system of Shining Force and mate it to the multiplayer style of Master of Monsters.

Each turn proceeds in phases, first are production and setup phases, in which you decide what units to build, what new units to deploy, and issue executive orders to your units (more on that in a bit).  Then comes the personnel phase, in which all non-vehicle units get to move.  After that, vehicles get their turns, and then any defensive turrets open fire on anything within range.  Various executive order effects are interspersed in this chain, these will become more obvious when we have animations in place for them.

The lack of combat and other animations is jarring right now, the map will frequently scroll to events that aren't very clear.  This will be solved once we have something to put in there.

Units:

Units fall into two broad categories, personnel and vehicles.  Aside from infantry, personnel are all non-combat units that fullfill various roles.  The most interesting are the four pilot units, which can be loaded into vehicles to give them special abilities.

Vehicles are all either ground or air vehicles.  They have a number of attributes and uses, and each of the four franchises has one unique vehicle that only it can produce.  Enhancing your vehicles with pilots is a key aspect of the game and offers many interesting tactical possibilities.

Executive orders:

Before each turn, (on maps in which you have a headquarters) you can issue an executive order to your forces.  There are about 15 or so of these, and they have variety of effects, ranging from minor stat boosts, to healing, to nuclear destruction.  Each franchise also has a unique executive order that only it can issue.

Maps and stuff:

I've included a few maps with the game.  Saving and loading games isn't implemented yet, so I didn't put any of the larger maps in there, since they would be rather impractical.  If you want to make your own maps, I have an editor available here:

Linux
Mac OS X
Windows

(Full source code is included with the editor)

Any maps you make should be placed in the following locations if you want the game to find them:

Linux: ~/.franchise/maps
Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/Franchise/maps
Windows: %DOCUMENTS_FOLDER%\Franchise\maps

There are a number of game aspects I haven't covered here, many of them are explained in the tutorial.  Some of them are little complex and hard to sum up, like the unit movement rules.  If anyone wants more details on these, just ask.

Oh, there's also a small configuration program included that you can use to set windowed/fullscreen modes, framerate options, and select between 4x3 and 16x9 aspect ratios.  I highly recommend the 16x9, it's quite pleasing.

For the future:

There's still quite a bit of work left to be done on this project, but the major hurdles have been cleared.  In the end, we'll have Internet play, four full single player campaigns, AI that actually does something, and many more multi-player maps.  If anybody actually cares I'll post major updates here.  I have one more test release planned, for which Internet play will be the centerpiece.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:23:43 AM by Average Software » Logged

What would John Carmack do?
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »

I've started putting together a coherent story line for the single player campaigns, and have opted for a overarching story that continues through all four of them.

This also allows me to get cracking on AI, since the single player mode is rather useless without it.  Seeing as how I hate coding AI, this is going to be an interesting challenge.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »

My graphics guy and I finally got the water hex shader put together.

It still needs a lot of tweaking, and really has to be seen in motion, but whatever.

For some reason it runs like absolute crap on my Windows machine, despite running fine in Mac OS X (which is on the same hardware).  Not quite sure why that is, need to investigate.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »

We fixed the water shaders, and now have a rough draft of the mountain hex shader:

It's using a crappy heightmap and coloring that I threw together for testing purposes, but it's there and the logic is working well.

Hopefully we'll have all of the terrain done within the next couple of weeks, then we can start getting unit models constructed.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »

I have Internet play working now on an extremely basic level.  Hopefully I can get a test demo out soon.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 05:54:24 AM »

Internet support is almost there, the server supports very crude games at the moment, but they seem to be quite playable.

I've also been working on the single player missions, and came up with this nice map centered around an amphibious assault over a river:

This just looks really cool to me, with transports dropping off troops on the far side while enemy aircraft strafe your forces, and your own air support comes up from behind.

The water actually has waves now, and the waves are clipping over the top of the flat unit tiles in the water, this will of course not be an issue once the 3D unit models are in place.

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »

this looks really cool.  i enjoy this style of game, but the usual themes get pretty dull so i especially appreciate the concept.  looks like development is going well.  keep it up!

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:07:46 AM »

I've posted a new demo that features basic Internet play, and I have a server up and running.

The binaries can be downloaded here:
Linux
Mac
Windows

I suggest you run the included configuration program first to tweak things to your liking.

I'm running the server out of my apartment right now, and my Internet connection is known to be spotty, so I'm not sure how well things will perform.  The Internet play is still quite primitive right now, it doesn't handle dropped connections and there's really no way to quit cleanly.

Still, it should be playable and I would appreciate it if people could bang on it for while.  From the main menu, select New Battle, then Internet, and finally Official Server.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »

There was a problem with my server configuration that was breaking Internet games, but I've fixed it, so you should be able to access my server.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:36:49 AM »

A lot of work done recently, much of it invisible.

The AI code has been reorganized, and the AI players are now smart enough to build wage slaves and use them to claim resources.

Made several fixes to the networking code to prevent a few crash issues.

Added the ability to right-click drag the map about, which is really cool.

Game saving and loading is fully implemented now, for both offline and online/LAN games.  The ability even exists to start a game offline and finish it online, and vice-versa.

And now, units have visible health bars:

Units at full health don't show a bar, to keep the interface from getting too cluttered.

I hope to have a new demo out soon, with all of this great new stuff.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 09:28:47 AM »

I've managed to get a basic combat zoom implementation in place.

I had originally scrapped this idea, but had an epiphany yesterday and realized how I could implement it.  Still some bugs to work out, but the basic idea is sound.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »

I've posted updated demos that feature improved network code, right-click drag scrolling, saving and loading of games, health bars, and the new combat zoom effect.

Interested parties can download here:

Linux
Mac OS X
Windows

My server is still up and running if anyone wants a game.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »

I've managed to get the framework in place for the horrible grease monsters that inhabit some of maps.

As the world has declined, the growing power of the fast-food chains has been altering the environment, and vast pools of grease are a regular part of the landscape.  Out of the sludge horrible monsters have begun to evolve...

In gameplay terms, the grease monsters are a neutral force that attack anyone without cause.  The actual code to control their behavior still needs to be written, but all of the support code is in place.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 05:07:08 AM »

I've a new build posted featuring a number of bug fixes and improvements:

Units now have a marker indicating that they have already moved this turn.

Added some basic sound effects to the menu buttons, and an audio cue that plays when mission objectives are completed.

Added a music track that I got online somewhere, just to make sure my music streaming code is in order.  The final game will have an original soundtrack.

Made several fixes to the network code.

Downloads are available at the usual links:

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 01:41:32 PM »

I'm trying to get in the habit of posting updated builds every Friday, and I wrote some scripts to handle packaging up the builds, so I have no real excuse now.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

This week's version features mission intro/outro screens, numerous bug fixes, the ability to skip mission event sequences, and probably more things that I don't remember.

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »

Just finished the first tutorial stage. The text was too hard for me to read, so I confessed I couldn't read the whole tutorial. I think I could pick up the gameplay, but I'm still confused as how the turn work and how each unit/block will help me.

Still, the theme is what got me interested and try this in the first place. Love how the tone of the game is kinda super serious when the theme is totally opposite. I'll play more after I got my work done and come back with more feedbacks.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »

Just finished the first tutorial stage. The text was too hard for me to read, so I confessed I couldn't read the whole tutorial. I think I could pick up the gameplay, but I'm still confused as how the turn work and how each unit/block will help me.

Which OS build were you using?  I've been having some problems with the font rendering, particularaly on OS X.  Making the window larger should help.  I plan to completely overhaul my text rendering engine soon, it needs some serious work.

Still, the theme is what got me interested and try this in the first place. Love how the tone of the game is kinda super serious when the theme is totally opposite. I'll play more after I got my work done and come back with more feedbacks.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was going for.  I love things that take ridiculous subject matter and treat it with the utmost seriousness.

Anyway, demo release for this week:

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Notable changes:

Mission complete/failure labels.
Full victory/defeat checking in all game modes.
Existing campaign maps have been enhanced with completed event scripts and minor tweaking.
Visual feedback for all relevant executive orders and unit actions (mostly text pop-ups right now).
Added missions 4 and 5 to the O'Donnelly's campaign.
Fixed some game-crashing AI bugs (AI still sucks, next week is dedicated to AI work).
Confirmation dialog when clicking the restart mission button.
Internet games now have a separate chat from the main lobby.
Various fixes to the network code.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »

This week I've been working almost exclusively on AI and single player missions.  This week's demo includes the new AI work, and three new missions on the first single player campaign, for a total of eight.

Some screenshots from the new missions, for what it's worth:

The usual download links:

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »

For this week's release, the biggest news is that the 3D model loading and drawing code has been mostly worked out.  I have a couple of placeholder models in there right now, as evidenced by this screenshot:

I've also added some interface enhacements, like the ability to directly attack a unit without moving by doubleclicking the target, and a handy information window that can be displayed with the tab key.  This window shows you details on everything you are allowed to produce on the current map, as well as your current units in storage.

The downloads also now include the campaign editor (with full source code) and the stand-alone server.  The server is rather useless right now, since the game is hardcoded to my server, and the custom server option has not yet been implemented.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »

I had intended to finish the first single player campaign this week, but the one map I got done exposed a huge number of bugs, so I never got past the one map.

Other than the one new map and a slew of AI improvements, this week's build features:

OpenGL version checking at startup.
I'm experimenting with a new font, not all of the dialogs have been resized yet.
I've implemented zooming using the mouse wheel.  There are six different zoom levels, so you can get some very high-level views of the battle.

Some of the elements need to be adjusted for this feature, particularly the unit health bars.

The package now includes the GPLd source for the config program.
The Mac build of the game now has all of its resources embedded in the bundle.
The game and config program now have crappy icons.

Here are the usual links:

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic