Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:30:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSARCIA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: SARCIA  (Read 10444 times)
Kaelar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:14:52 PM »

Hi! My name is Michael Lavoie, I currently live in Quebec, Canada and I am here to talk a little bit about my current project.

The Project is called SARCIA. Created by a team of two passionate creators, myself Michael Lavoie, at the origin of the visual, the Story and the programmation and Yann Van Der Cruyssen, an already well renowned composer that has worked on several indie projects like ''Knytt'', ''Knytt Stories'' and ''Saira'' by Nifflas. More recently he also worked on the highly praised game ''Blocks that Matter' by the Swing Swing Submarine Team.

The Project itself is inspired by a lot of great games: Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Zelda, Sword & Sworcery, Portal. It is a minimalistic story-driven side-scrolling adventure game. Where the player plays the role of a man that juste came to exist into a very strange, mysterious and yet beautiful and poetic World. The game adopts an episodic format that will be released every one or two month with new places to explore, new characters to meet and new secrets to unfold. The first episode is to be released by the end of December.

The look of the project is somewhat a modern view of the old school pixel art look. I chose to adopt this visual style as I think that the pixel art has the advantage to push the imagination of the spectator at its maximum. This is one of the main features of the game, I give a frame, somewhat of a story, of a feeling, and it is the player that will make his own sense out of it.

My game making process is highly based on two things, the first is an article that I am sure some of you already read, it is written by Superbrothers and it is called Less Talk, More Rock! where Minimalist storytelling and spontaneous game making is the key. The second thing is very close of Thatgamecompany's Philosophy as it is not the gameplay that drives the feelings that I want the player to feel, It is the feeling that I want the player to feel that drives the gameplay.

So here was a little presentation of the project and our philosophy about it. But as it is still in development, the project needs support, this is why I decided to create a RocketHub campaign in order to be able to make a good start for it.
Of course the campaign that we are making right now is not for nothing. People won't give money without being rewarded in exchange. With each donation amount comes certain exclusive content and Preview look to some parts of the episodes!
Here is the link to the RocketHub Campaign : SARCIA - An Independent Video Game Series

I'll keep you updated with some regular news and please excuse my poor English quality!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:19:38 AM by Kaelar » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »

I'm at a loss for words. This looks stunning.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »

Beautiful, looking forward to seeing something in motion.
Kaelar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »

Thanks a lot guys. I should be able to show you some video sequence soon!

Kaelar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »

Sorry for double post but I wanted to give you a picture of something I worked on today. The introduction cutscene of the episode. The cutscenes will basically be pixel art stills with some very subtle effects, movements sounds, voices and music. A little bit like a mix between movie and comic books so...

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:13:51 AM »

Loving the look of the game and the colour palette. Looking forward to seeing it all in motion.

Cornelisjordaan
Level 0

composer | soundmaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:58:20 AM »

That is really exquisite! Well done guys, I want to get lost in this one.

Cornelis Jordaan | composer
www.cornelisjordaan.com
Yameki
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:05:27 AM »

One more Quebec fella~

Are you in the MRGS group?http://www.facebook.com/groups/135987799795381/

These videos made my brain explode....wow.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:03:10 PM by Yameki » Logged
Kaelar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »

Thank you all! I am glad that you like the visual part of the game!

@Yameki: Oh I am not alone from Quebec am I, I was not part of the Facebook group but now I am! Thank you for letting me now of its existence! Oh and yes this video is my final work from my 3D Animation school! I am very proud of it but the project has a little bit changed since then and I can't use it for the game. Also you may notice that I used some of Princess Mononoke Soundtrack, it was because I didn't have Yann working with me at the time, so I am sorry about that!

So yes, as you may notice if you watched this

(Sorry for the french subtitles and Joe Hisaishi's soundtrack) I got some animation skills and I don't intend to let them go to waste. For the moment the Engine that I use (RPG Maker VX) for the game does not support videos, but the new version coming out this winter will and the cutscenes will surely be animated for the next episodes!

Also as I said, I work alone with the only help of Yann Van Der Cruyssen who has worked on the recent Blocks That Matters by SwingSwingSubmarine and I just found out that you can listen and buy this fantastic soundtrack Here! So for those worrying about the audio part you don't have to anymore! Haha

Finally, I finally found a good screen capture software (SnagIt), so you will probably be able to see some moving shots soon enough! I succeeded yesterday into breaking the 3 frames limit of the RMVX animations so now, the characters are animated in 8 frames cycles, including idle and everything! Awesome!

Also don't forget that the RocketHub Campaign is still going on, we need your help to make a good start for this game. Or at least sharing the link on your facebook wall or blogs would be very much appreciated!

Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »

One more Quebec fella~

Are you in the MRGS group?http://www.facebook.com/groups/135987799795381/

These videos made my brain explode....wow.

I think the music used in the video belongs to Studio Ghibli. Shocked Did you get a license from them?

EDIT: saw Kaelar's reply about the music.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:51:47 PM by Virion » Logged
Yameki
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »

I think the music used in the video belongs to Studio Ghibli. Shocked Did you get a license from them?

That video was just a demo reel for his college's final or something like that I think. Nothing commercial.
Kaelar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »

Yes yes like I said this video was only made for school it was never intended to go commercial.

Now here is a first

For those who wanted to see it in motion! The graphics were scaled x2 to have a better look at them. Sorry for the compression!

Kaelar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 07:11:32 PM »

Hey there people! I've finally managed to upload my avatar haha!

So update of the day! Today I have been working on a new area of the episode. Here are some screenshots! It is still a work in progress but for now it will do the job. I plan of making a first pass of all the areas before finishing them.

Now time for some coffee! Coffee

ink.inc
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »

whoa

well guys gg might as well quit our own projects in shame
Yameki
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »

Whoa? This is under RPG Maker VX?

It doesn't look like it and the quality of your art deserves a better engine than that!~  Gentleman

Kaelar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »

Thanks guys!

Yes This is under RMVX because i worked for a very long time with this engine and I chose it because it is the only engine that I am also able to do all the programming stuff. So yes at least for this episode it will be made with RMVX because I am at ease with it.

But for the next episodes nothing stops me from changing of engine eventually (I look forward to the Ubi-Art Framework (Gosh, I hope it will still be open source!) and the next version of RPG Maker VX also)

Kaelar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 08:45:33 PM »

Today is a good day!

I've worked on two new areas of the game and I've done the main character's animations for one of the main action of the game. The use of his musical instrument. A bit like Ocarina of Time mixed with some Guitar Hero. The Gameplay will highly based upon solving enigmas by playing the good ''Magical Songs'' at the right place and time. Also, as the main character is speechless, the use of this musical instrument is the only mean that the player has to communicate with other characters!

I've also worked a bit on the intro cutscene. I'm still struggling a little to get the right feeling but I feel I touch something. I can't wait to hear it with some music from Yann!

Also tonight the first batch of some RocketHub Rewards for those who donate for the support of the project will be sent by email! I've also make a promise to give the first episode entirely free to everyone if we reach our goal of 1500$!

And to finish this in beauty, here is some little eye candies! (The Second screenshot is far from definitive but I kinda like it)

Kaelar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 10:48:20 PM »

Hey there! I am still alive!

New Screenshot of one of the two new areas of the game! (Sorry for the pose again lol I just kinda like it a lot) So yes, I have work on some new areas and I also started to work on some little reusable assets that will help me get some life in those lands! I also added a little very subtle animated noise effect that add a lot of life to the game!

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 03:45:18 AM »

I love your illustration style.  A really nice balance of pixel art and painterly look.  Following this thread!

Coffee

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »

I'm amazed. Can't say much more. The only thing I don't like is that the waterfalls are completely straight lines. I'd love to see some dynamics in the edges. That's a very marginal nitpick, though. Lovely graphics. Lovely job. Keep going.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic