Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:41:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175703 times)
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2012, 02:51:57 AM »

All the people questioning whether it can be made are missing the important fact that even if it fulfills all its promises, it will still be a shoddy Android Phone attached to your TV. I can't wait to play words with friends on a ps2 controller
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2012, 03:15:43 AM »

Well, this thread is going nowhere.

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2012, 03:27:29 AM »

All the people questioning whether it can be made are missing the important fact that even if it fulfills all its promises, it will still be a shoddy Android Phone attached to your TV. I can't wait to play words with friends on a ps2 controller
Dude you haven't played Angry Birds until you've played it on a 80 inch HD TV
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2012, 04:13:49 AM »

Well, this thread is going nowhere.

South is a perfectly valid direction!

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2012, 04:30:45 AM »

A Tegra3 isn't exactly "shoddy".

It might be interesting to see what Zynga (or one of their competitors) comes up with to utilize the GPU.

A 3D pixel-shaded angry birds-esque game might be cool.. (note to self)

Personally, I'll be happy just to be able to write an Android game that can use a real gamepad.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Ant
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2012, 05:26:30 AM »

I'm a nub with hardware, what will this Ouya be capable of? Will it be able to handle games like Spelunky XBLA and Fez, or this just a glorified tablet?
Nix
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2012, 05:54:52 AM »

Spelunky and fez are hardly the most intensive applications
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2012, 06:01:02 AM »

Well, we don't know what it will be able to do outright, but the Tegra 3's a pretty good choice for a chip. It's not that powerful, but it should be enough for indie game devs.

And I agree with eld and inkbot. This thread seriously isn't going anywhere, and there's no point in having it open to debate with people about existential hardware. Whatever people want to add has been said before, and there's no new information and won't be any for months. I'll lock it until more information surfaces about the product or after the Kick Starter ends.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »

---------------

Okay, so someone wanted this thread re-opened to say something. So everyone can have at it and discuss the OUYA. I probably won't lock it / delete it, unless it seriously gets bad (i.e. threatening someone or something like that). Tongue

----------------

Nix
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »

tell me i'm pretty or i'll hurt you
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »

tell me i'm pretty or i'll hurt you
gonna stab you irl
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2012, 08:00:48 AM »

Actually what's the difference to xblig? I mean it costs a little but should not hurt too much. Everyone can develop the game he wants for it. I guess the problem is that it is just considered a hidden section on the xbox, and not the main scene. But everyone can get on that if he wants.

So if xblig fails why should ouya succeed? Your opinions on that.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »

So if xblig fails why should ouya succeed? Your opinions on that.

Well, for starters, I wouldn't call XBox Live Indie a failure. It has just been grossly underutilized and underdeveloped, and a lot of the blame for that can be laid at Microsoft's doorstep. And more than anything, this was an issue with marketing and promotion, not technology.

Also, I honestly don't think that most posters here think that Ouya "should" succeed. They simply hope that Ouya does well enough to justify some indie development. It is a much more modest goal than the uber-competitive level that a lot of people are assuming. There is room for middle ground within the industry. Not everything has to be extremely big or a complete failure. Keeping expectations and goals modest for a smaller effort like Ouya is a good strategy.

If Ouya is able to hang around, its initial support will be primarily from the game development community itself. General consumers aren't going to be nearly as interested in the device as game developers are. A lot of developers have just always wanted a console to work on that isn't tied down by major corporations. And I'm not talking about development companies. I'm talking about individual developers. After years of having dev units that are chained to a Nintendo representative, someone is finally producing a home console without any restrictions. Some of us just like tinkering with this sort of thing.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:44 AM »

But isn't it more promising to work on a more secure system like the xbox? I personally want a console, well to be a console, closed. I as developer want to create on it whatever I want but I don't want others to hack the shit out of me.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2012, 09:08:01 AM »

But isn't it more promising to work on a more secure system like the xbox? I personally want a console, well to be a console, closed. I as developer want to create on it whatever I want but I don't want others to hack the shit out of me.

I don't think that's what they meant by hack, but really the only difference between hacking the Ouya and hacking another console is that they're making it a little easier (standard screws, doesn't void the warranty, and I assume any OS updates they push won't be designed to brick rooted boxes).
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »

If you're producing computers or software that people can physically access, your shit is hackable. "Secure" is a highly relative term.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »

Sure thing, but you can affect the motivation-level to do it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »

yeah exactly, there's a difference whether it's a handful of nerds or joe average consumer pirating your shit
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »

Sure thing, but you can affect the motivation-level to do it.

But isn't that something that the Ouya already addresses? A large motivation for the more hard-core hacking community is challenge and entitlement. They don't hack things just to hack them. They do it as an intellectual exercise, as a means of sticking-it-to-the-man, and for the elicit thrill of doing something they know they aren't supposed to be doing. An open platform like the Ouya negates their primary motivators. Where's the danger, challenge, and thrill if the box's creators ship it with instructions on how to open it up and use it however you please?

More casual users are less likely to attempt "hacking" it if rooting their device will decrease the convenience of using it. This phenomenon is similar to what happens in the Linux community. There are much fewer viruses and destructive software designed for Linux, as compared to Windows or OSX. After all, what would be the point?
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2012, 09:50:09 AM »

It's as if iPhone, Android, XBOX, PS3 , and other consoles/devices aren't hacked already.  They all are, and yet they are still doing fine. Besides, do you think people will not hack OUYA if they said they don't allow hacking/jailbreaking? If it's going to be hacked anyway, and many cases has already suggested that this is not a problem, then isn't it better to spend time on something else that actually matter?

One thing I would be upset is if they don't allow you to install games from other sources without rooting. I hope it'll be like Android and Google Play. You can install games from wherever you want, and provide OUYA store separately.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic