Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:40:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 112362 times)
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »

Worked all day today on a "button drawing helper". Basically you just tell it what action you want a label for and where you want it, and it draws it on the screen for you. It also returns the width of the label so you can easily base other elements off it. This comes in handy because it switches between keyboard and gamepad controls on the fly. It also figures out which size key graphic to use for the mapped keyboard key. This all works with right alignment too, making a cinch to line stuff up!

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »

I wonder if this means BXRing.
tred
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »

Idle, Run, and Attack animations:

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2013, 06:50:17 PM »

Idle, Run, and Attack animations:

Gaaaaaaaah! I really love these!

Moarmoarmoarmoarmoar!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »

Those are looking really nice. Just commenting so I can get notified of updates   Smiley

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2013, 10:56:15 PM »

Been doing a lot of miscellaneous polish work the last couple days. Today I mainly worked on getting backgrounds in the rooms, tweaking collisions, fixing slicing stuff, etc. Also worked with Tony and got updated animations and tilesets in the game. Here's how its looking now:

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2013, 10:58:35 PM »

Here's how its looking now:

Lookin' good  Kiss

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2013, 11:02:15 PM »

It looks really good, I've started to dig these eyes a lot too =) (I'm seriously contemplating copying that enemy look...)

Have you thought about putting a 1px-2px spacing around the item towards the border, of your pickups and weapons, up to the right? I think that at least the potion would benefit by not touching the border like it does now and seeing how the number is spaced out a bit.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14:50 PM »

It looks really good, I've started to dig these eyes a lot too =) (I'm seriously contemplating copying that enemy look...)

Have you thought about putting a 1px-2px spacing around the item towards the border, of your pickups and weapons, up to the right? I think that at least the potion would benefit by not touching the border like it does now and seeing how the number is spaced out a bit.

Thanks! I stole the eye idea from Castlevania 2, so I guess that's how that goes!

Yea, the item stuff is temporary, Tony is eventually going to design something better. For now it's spartan :D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:21:22 PM by DiscordGames » Logged
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:19 PM »

"stole the eye" Now I kind of wouldn't mind one enemy per nod-to-franchise...

...Eggplant Wizard?
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »

New development video posted! Check out the hot, steamy pixel action here:

Lain
Level 0

Lain Trzaska

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »

New development video posted! Check out the hot, steamy pixel action here:

I am not overly excited about the music, sounds very repetitive and bright.
Maybe something more moody / groovy would fit in more.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:59 PM »

Hm, well I am of the opinion that if a potion falls that far, it should break.
But then I'm a sucker for rougelikes being difficult in little ways like that.

Just imagining a little crackle and there being glass bits sinking into the floor, and the thought of losing a potion, makes me wince.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2013, 11:32:30 PM »

Hm, well I am of the opinion that if a potion falls that far, it should break.
But then I'm a sucker for rougelikes being difficult in little ways like that.

Just imagining a little crackle and there being glass bits sinking into the floor, and the thought of losing a potion, makes me wince.

Haha, that's a great idea actually. I'll admit, at the moment it's way more action-oriented. I'll definitely be thinking of ways to make things more interesting as development goes along!
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »

Ooh, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this project.  Lookin' good.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2013, 06:13:52 AM »

Nice vid, I love the amount the polish the game has received already.

Actually, assuming you want to maintain the action oriented and fast paced nature of most games in the genre, I would go as far as removing the "items being thrown in all directions" effect when opening containers altogether.

The effect itself is very cool, mind you, but I think it doesn't go along that well with the rest of the game. Take, for instance, Symphony of the Night as an example: items/gold always falls right on the spot whenever being dropped by monsters or other destructibles. The only notable distinction being hearts (which float in the air at a very slow pace anyways).

That's for a very good reason. That way, the player can safely keep going forward and still collect most items being dropped, not having to worry for items falling down a platform and then having to backtrack.

That's probably minor, but still something I felt worth of being pointed out. It might very well be the case you guys want to bring your game in a completely different direction, and that would be fine too!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2013, 06:14:25 AM »

Just seen this for the first time, and it looks great, both in terms of mechanics and graphics. Will keep an eye on it! The potions-breaking idea, and similar, would be really nice additions.

R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2013, 06:23:23 AM »

Holy! I just saw this now! This looks so awesome *_* Always keep up the polished look and you got a buyer!

Recs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2013, 04:02:56 AM »

following this, keep up the good work.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013, 05:38:08 AM »

Saw this on Steam Greenlight and had to investigate, because it doesn't feel like it belongs on Steam and I voted no. Desura, though? All for it.

Initial impressions weren't as positive for me, though. The guy put on a helmet in the first video but it didn't show up on the character. Bad, bad form! Also, I got bored just by watching that little video. All rooms are so similar. This isn't 1985 anymore. This game is in danger of become very repetetive without enough variation, even if it's just stuff in the background.

Also, the Greenlight page says PC, Mac, Linux, but on your blog you have stuff about XNA? Which is it?

I'm cautiously optimistic, because although I don't care for Metroid, Wonderboy in Monsterland is one of my favorite games and nobody has been able to replicate it yet (and I know you're not aiming to, but it's similar enough). You haven't won me over yet, but I will be keeping a watch on this thread. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, now I noticed Mono. Not a fan, but I guess some people like it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:46:45 AM by eobet » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic