Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:53:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogslifeless: ECHRO
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: lifeless: ECHRO  (Read 16503 times)
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »

Messing around.

I think i'll calm down on the lighting and instead redo the art assets like i said i would do.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2013, 11:02:07 PM »

This last screenshot looks really smooth and the lighting gives alot of atmosphere to it, i like it ! And the character looks cooler in my opinion  Smiley
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »

Looks pretty atmospheric. Have you tried some solid gradients on the light, like 2 or 3 steps instead of smooth? Think that could compliment the pixel art.

And are you going to stick to the monocrome? Maybe try some veeery slight hue changes into complimentary colors for some details. I guess you know kuhler? Make a cool tamplate there and stick to like four colors, if you get that right you'll get a modern touch to the art. (ah just saw the older art, you had some more color in there, liked that)

And take a look at some HR Giger for the parallax backgrounds, I think some of those structures could look cool in that enviroment:

Nice stuff!
Keep it up!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:02:58 AM by c023-DeV » Logged

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2013, 12:04:52 AM »

Looks pretty atmospheric. Have you tried some solid gradients on the light, like 2 or 3 steps instead of smooth? Think that could compliment the pixel art.

And are you going to stick to the monocrome? Maybe try some veeery slight hue changes into complimentary colors for some details. I guess you know kuhler? Make a cool tamplate there and stick to like four colors, if you get that right you'll get a modern touch to the art. (ah just saw the older art, you had some more color in there, liked that)

And take a look at some HR Giger for the parallax backgrounds, I think some of those structures could look cool in that enviroment:

Nice stuff!
Keep it up!

it looks like

when the lights are disabled. I'm working on a new style for the game, so more colors but also less colors, in a way.

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2013, 12:13:46 AM »

Looking at your other artwork I think you can handle color pretty well sir! Use it wise but not too shy, evenly distributed but not overloaded. I trust you'll have a freaking awesome output.
[edit]
And try to break up the tilemap edges a bit. I see you are doing that with the moss/vains. Maybe have a tiny 4 pixel row for the other parts that are still hard cuts...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:19:45 AM by c023-DeV » Logged

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2013, 04:35:27 AM »

Messing around.

I think i'll calm down on the lighting and instead redo the art assets like i said i would do.

Holy shit this looks so beatiful!! How do you guys make those lightining effects???
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »

Messing around.

Holy shit this looks so beatiful!! How do you guys make those lightining effects???

Surface blending, gradients on top with alpha.

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »

Oh wow, that looks so atmospheric Crazy

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 09:59:15 PM »

Messing around.

Surface blending, gradients on top with alpha.

Do you use Adobe photoshop with dat Gradient or some programming tool?
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2013, 01:01:12 PM »

Do you use Adobe photoshop with dat Gradient or some programming tool?

It's code, the bloom isn't code tho, that's paint.net.

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »

New Alpha build on Saturday.

Done;
- Weapons
- Trinkets
- First boss
- Gui

To be done for sat build;
- Fix shit
- Menu
- parallax
- crates and chests.

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2013, 10:09:28 AM »

a Build there. now.
http://lifelessechro.com/

it may work on linux under wine.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »

Post-processing does a lot. Looking good.

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »

Just discovered this - looks great! Looking forward to this.

Just played the build you posted. If the rest of the game's going to feature so much empty vertical space above the player, as well as lots of slopes/flying enemies etc, it might be a good idea to give the player the ability to shoot straight upwards/downwards in addition to left and right. An alternative idea might be to design the levels so that better facilitates vertical positioning to compensate for the player's limitations. I had a lot of trouble positioning myself in the level to hit the flying guy - although I could've stuck to the left part of the level and waited for him to get close, it's not as much fun as bringing the fight to him.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »

Yeah, i was thinking on Using WASD as moving and Arrow keys to fire in each respective direction (rebindable).

The final game will have some sort of level generator which will deal with the empty space and the AI right now isn't done which is why it's only a path'ed AI for the boss at the moment.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2013, 04:45:29 PM »

Played the build, it looks great.

I never beat the boss, and I had no idea how close I got to beating him.  Is there going to be a health bar or something in the game to show how close you are to killing bosses?

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2013, 11:39:07 PM »

Following

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2013, 02:10:12 AM »

Not bad!

I have issues with the game feel, in particular shooting. It's difficult to maintain fire on an enemy while it's heading towards you; you either get hurt OR have to cease fire and turn around in order to maintain enough distance. It doesn't feel particularly right at all. I'd love to see more flexibility with shooting, since it seems like there's going to be a lot of it.

It's actually something similar if not exactly the same issue I ran into with a Ludum Dare warmup I made (which you can see here).

If the player is still shooting, and begins to walk the other way, he should continue shooting in that direction and walk backwards.

Feel free to have a look at that and take from it what you will. This looks great! Smiley

siskavard
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2013, 07:33:03 AM »

Subscribing! Gonna try out the build.

Also, this is all I can think of when I see the word Echro

holy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »

Looks very cool! Love the artwork. I hope you'll make this for MAC, aswell.

i make chiptunes and art.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic