Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 07:57:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBear Knuckle - Brawl Night Long
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Bear Knuckle - Brawl Night Long  (Read 21047 times)
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »

This is a multiplayer turn based game involving fighting. In a bar. Using bottles. And chairs. And Fists, bodies, paintings, fire, table legs, and whatever else we can come up with.

Current half finished mockup

Our goal is to create a few simple actions (move, punch, throw) combined with a variety of objects which each have unique properties muddled in with the chaos of eight units on screen and turns that are resolved simultaneously.  

So far we have an 8x8 iso grid with two teams of four who battle it out inside a bar. Turns resolving simultaneously has introduced some interesting  gameplay considerations.  If two players throw a chair at each other the chairs will collide. If one player moves to the side before throwing he may able to dodge incoming projectiles. Missed shots may have consequences such as knocking things over, hitting friendlies and objects break down into new objects.

This is the path... all subject to change as we try things out of course.

Please drop a word or two of advice, suggestion, encouragement, criticism, whatever. We aim to post builds as things start to come together.

Thanks for reading!

Mock Anger
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:46:39 AM by Gorman » Logged

blinkok
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »

WOW! this sounds and looks awesome. reminds me a little of the Crash Bandicoot Party Game "Crash Bash". Only heaps better of course. good luck with this. i think it has great potential

My 2D Stuff twitter: @blinkok
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »

I could get into this. Smiley

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:27:56 AM »

Ahah god I love the concept of the Western boozer with angry moles. They kinda look like a mob of berserk grumpy cat under the effect of testosterone. Hard to say more with only one screenshot but if the gameplay is well-done that could be a great game yes. Will you guys upload a video soon? Are you by any chance looking for a composer?

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 05:57:27 AM »

Want to see more. Subscribed.

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
adganong
Level 0

Motif

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 07:19:18 AM »

Hahah seems really interesting. I like the look of the players so far and I quite like the description. will all players be those guys you have illustrated on there right now?
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »

Yeah, I love a good bar fight and I reckon I could take any number of those little brown dudes. Bring it on!

Also, please say I will be able to throw spittoons at people.

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 10:44:38 AM »

..and I won't wake up wondering why  my -insert body part- hurts, or in jail..
and your palette is pleasing to my eye.  Interested.  Fo' Sho.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »

i like it
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »

Thanks for the positive response guys, it seriously helps the motivation.

Progress so far... Lloyd has been working on putting in a knockdown/dazed effect, and after some discussions I arted up a chair throw, collision and destruction. The chair is supposed to leave behind a chair leg which is usable as a weapon as well. Need to tread the line between creating a satisfying mess in the bar and being able to identify usable items. I'll redo the actual chair break at some point, it looks a bit off and doesn't feel quite satisfying enough. Might need to x2 everything.

Also, please say I will be able to throw spittoons at people.

Spittoons! Had to google that. And yes, they shall be added.

will all players be those guys you have illustrated on there right now?

Will be more characters, but not sure how far we'll go with character types. So far i've been thinking of trappers vs animals. We want to keep the scope low, so that's a big consideration. Its probably the most expandable bit of the game (assembling gangs for battle, stat & ability variations etc)

Will you guys upload a video soon? Are you by any chance looking for a composer?
Yes! Composer.... yes probably, but haven't thought about that yet!

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:16:02 AM »

Unity 4.3 unngghhmmphhh. Pretty fun poking around at the state machine for sprite animation. Spent forever trying to get the pixel to units ratio and orthographic camera size to a scale which matched the painted gameboard with Unity's units. You can see the magenta debug lines outlining an 8x8 grid in unity almost perfectly lining up with the background 256 image Beer!

STill faffing aboot with animations all the while

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »

We are still alive. And beavering away on things.

Lots of UI/selection stuff. Some new characters in there. Ummm... some 'inappropriate' looking headlocks.

Isometricity and a DENSE game view, while pretty, have been causing headaches which we are slowly working through.

The prospect of actually implementing more character types is looking more and more unlikely as the number of anims per character climbs to 22. 11 unique anims x2 for front and back view.

I made a blog post on our freshly revamped tumblr with some mudanely detailed info if anyone wants to read more schtuff.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:32:55 PM by Gorman » Logged

Slide20xl
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »

Yeah, this.

...I'm gonna play this.
antoniodamala
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »

oh yeah, baby.
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »

Thanks chaps

Woke up this morning to see a little write up on Rock Paper Shotgun .

Also, Lloyd has started working on server support so we can start sharing the game around for some early feedback soooon.

Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »

This is pretty, turn-based, funny and slightly violent... I will be following ^^

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 07:25:18 PM »

This game is genius!

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 04:32:22 AM »

this loooks sooo gooood..looking forward to play it. finally barfighting without getting a cigarette into the eye and no more pitchers on my backhead! hell yeah

Matt Rohr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »

I am really digging the art style! I look forward to seeing how this comes together.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »

How awesome man. This last screenshot really looks like a T-RPG.... with frenzy moles. Looking forward to the first in-game footage.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic