Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:52:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNeverpants' Secret Game Project
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Neverpants' Secret Game Project  (Read 25229 times)
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »

A couple months back, my teammates Pierre-Luc Poirier, Ian Girard and I decided it was time to make a good game. A single player experience, not a silly little arcade multiplayer game like Greedy Piggy Chase or Super Punchball. We had an idea for a game about exploration (like everybody else), but this time it'd REALLY be about exploration. I'm not gonna say anymore for now! It's a SECRET, but I'll tell you guys soon Wink

But for now, let's talk art development. As soon as the idea popped in my head, I started doodling a whole lot, always carrying around a sketchbook and just doodling stuff I'd like to see in that fantasy world of ours. In about a month I had a whole sketchbook full of this:

And some mock-ups like this.

I think the whole chibi, simple, no bullshit, cute animal characters is pretty cool. It'll give characters a lot of personality, even if they end up really small on screen. We can play with stereotypes, give the world a lot of diversity, and just have fun with many animal races.

At this point, we had a 4th member join Neverpants - Yann Ben Alluch, artist extraordinaire. The pressure was on - that guys is quite excellent at art stuff. I gotta step up my game!

At first, I was pretty sure I'd want to do the game in black and white, but my Neverpants partners convinced me otherwise. I'm glad they did.

The first digital mock-up I made was really not satisfying. I scrapped it in about 30 minutes. It's too flat, the lines are stiff and cold, and the colors were just plain bad. I was probably super tired when I did that one, trying to force it out of me at 4am or something.

So I started doing a billion tests of style and color. Just trying out different strokes, different coloring, different everything. I made a couple sheets like this:

I gave myself a bit of time to think, then came up with a second digital mock-up. I needed to just try something, to know what worked and didn't work, what direction we should take or not. No pressure to be perfect, just dump whatever I felt like drawing.

So this happened:

It's alright, although it feels a little flat to me, and not rough enough. It's super empty - I was planning to fill up the screen with stuff, but that would have been pointless, I think. I already knew that this wasn't quite it. But I was getting closer.

I got a bit depressed the week after, having no time to work on this game for a while, and getting worried about the scope of the game (thanks, Double Fine Adventure documentary episodes!). Every night, I'd go to bed thinking about the art style I wanted. Started thinking about a very dense, rough style for the game, to make the game world as rich as possible without going into realism. And I finally got it out of my brain and onto the screen, this saturday.

I'm still not 100% happy with it, but now I kinda know where I'm heading. Yann's making his own mock-up too, which we'll see sometime soon, then we'll discuss what we like and what the next step is going to be.

More mock-ups and doodles soon! Oh and maybe I'll tell you guys what the game is about!

Gentleman

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:47:54 AM by Dom2D » Logged

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »

This looks like it could be quite amazing.

You'll probably hate me for saying this, but I think this one is the best out of all shown:

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

i agree with above

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »

Thirded. Although I love the last one you have down there as well, that marker rendering is just... awesome! Maybe it's because there's so much going on and lots of detail which the color comp is lacking. Keep at it though, you're obviously very talented! Hand Metal Left Wizard Hand Metal Right

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »

Thanks guys! The doodle mock-up is better because it's more complete, I think. Soon, it'll be as good in color! Probably Tongue

Bonus doodle page:

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 01:52:06 PM »

Oh and this happened somewhere after that greyish mock-up:

Characters were too tall though, we'll try to make them more chibi.

Czepta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »

I agree with Konidias also. I think the blue shade that has come from the scanning and the markers is appealing. The new screen you've shown has much warmer colours. I think if you could replicate the style in that sketch and just add some desaturated colours which favour blue you could be on to a winner. Also the pen lines in the sketch really work well whereas the digital art lines look to clean and almost vector style.

Perhaps you could even do the art by hand in the style of these sketches to preserve the marker textures and then add colour digitally.

Anyway looks really cool so far!

Floresy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »

Loving this style, please continue to post as development unfolds.
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »

Agreeing with konidias sixthly or fifthly. That one had a super adventure calvin and hobbesqueness. Could be the content of the image too, the campfire and places that looked like you could explore.

Regardless, i'll follow this like the clappers.

qwiboo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »

Love dom's work, will be following this one closely! Smiley

Creator of Bike Baron for iOS and Mac. http://www.qwiboo.com
Beyond Gravity http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=36560.0
Working on Ball King http://ballkinggame.tumblr.com/
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »

Looks great!

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 05:58:41 PM »

our lawyers say ; yes please , yeas , YEAS !
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »

New color test, in a slightly more sepia tone
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 02:31:23 PM by Dom2D » Logged

antoniodamala
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »

Looks lovely.   
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »

Seeing all the style iterations is really cool. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »

Ooh, such a lovely style!

Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 10:02:30 AM »

this project is super cuteee, the style is totally awesome, I love all of it

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »

Visually, this has to be one of my new favorite devlog games.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »

I have to agree with some of the other posts here, the handrawn marker style looks really good. Smiley
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »

What is this. This looks very nice. I feel excited inside.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic