Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:27:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDevLog Gold of 2014 (Results!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: DevLog Gold of 2014 (Results!)  (Read 77549 times)
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 PM »

Even people who are nominated and don't win these comps don't have time to play games Cry

The sacrifices we make...

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2015, 09:00:26 PM »

I have last minute trophies I wanna send to Eigen first before we announce the winners
Will message in the morning

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2015, 01:00:38 AM »

Hey Eigen, we don't need prizes. People who win these comps don't actually have time to play games anyway! Tongue  

Then they can use the money to buy some good coffee or new pair of underpants or whatever. Doesn't have to be games. And if you win, I would be happy to donate the prize towards your Kickstarter campaign.

I have last minute trophies I wanna send to Eigen first before we announce the winners
Will message in the morning

Sure, then I'll have a look and decide what the final trophies will be. Meanwhile I'll go and count the votes.

DO NOT DISTURB ME OR I'LL LOSE COUNT! Mock Anger

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2015, 02:19:27 AM »

poke
Canned Turkey
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2015, 11:10:26 AM »

Sure, then I'll have a look and decide what the final trophies will be. Meanwhile I'll go and count the votes.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2015, 12:55:17 PM »

So, here we are. Another year and another list of awesome games to take a look at. First of all thanks to everybody who voted. You nominated 58 games in the favourite project category and 23 DevLogs as the best of the bunch. Very nearly 20 people agreed on the winner in both categories. I guess I'll get straight to the point starting with the best DevLog as voted by you nice peeps.

Best DevLogs

Nearly making the top three and worth mentioning, in fourth place we have RELATIVITY, an exploration-puzzle game that imagines a universe with a different set of physical laws. Set in an Escher-esque world filled with secrets and mysteries, you utilize a unique gravity-manipulation mechanic to turn walls into floors. Learn to see the world through whole new perspectives as you navigate mindboggling architecture and solve seemingly impossible puzzles.

In third place with 14 votes we have dukope's next game, a 3D first-person mystery game set on an East Indiaman merchant ship in 1808 called Return of the Obra Dinn. In 1802, the merchant ship "Obra Dinn" set out from London for the Orient with over 200 tons of trade goods. Six months later it hadn't met its rendezvous point at the Cape of Good Hope and was declared lost at sea. Early this morning of October 14th, 1808, the Obra Dinn drifted into port with sails damaged and no visible crew.

The devlog is filled with techincal tidbits and insight to anything from 1-bit rendering to creating a belieavable environments with sounds. You think you know how to develop a system for footstep sounds? No you don't.

In second place with wealthy 18 votes we have eigenbom's procedurally-generated adventure game, Moonman, a game with a devlog choke full of images both static and moving, journaling the devlopment since late 2011. Currently with an active campaign on Kickstarter, Moonman is about a strange, nocturnal world where a moonman is summoned by an ancient mollusc. It sends him to the farthest corners of the land to search for fallen moon fragments -- that will power a great star-machine.

And now ... *drumroll* ... in first place with a whopping 24 votes we have Project Rain World, a game managing to win the hearts and votes of us all two years in a row! Rain World is a survival platformer set in an abandoned industrial environment ravaged by a shattered ecosystem. The gameplay of Rain World consists of fast paced sneaking and action. The enemies are incredibly difficult (though not impossible) to defeat through direct confrontation. Instead of being easily killable they have been made intelligent enough to be interesting opponents in stealth situations. The devlog runs over 140 pages since 2012 and is filled with insight of both design and technical aspects. Going through the whole thing is definitely an inspiration to any up and coming game developer but also for more seasoned creators.

Congratulations to the winners! Now, let's move on to the favourite projects in the DevLogs forum. As stated, 58 were nominated which is definitely a record of sorts.

Favourite Projects

In this category fourth place is shared between three very sweet games! Environmental Station Alpha, a metroidvania taking place in a space station used to preserve unique species and natural environments; IRKALLA, an intensive tactic arcade shooter game with demons, mages, spells, mechs and hight tech weapons and Eitr, an Action RPG which takes inspiration from games such as Path of Exile, Dark Souls and Diablo.

In third place, a bit ahead of the three with 8 votes is CRAWL, a local multiplayer dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters! Battle through dungeons and power up your hero - if a friend kills you they take your place and it’s your turn to inhabit the monsters. It's a race to gain enough XP and loot to take on the hulking final boss!

The game is currently available on Steam Early Access, so make sure to check it out.

In second place with 14 votes we have the winner of the Best DevLog, Project Rain World! Rain World is a survival platformer set in an abandoned industrial environment ravaged by a shattered ecosystem. The gameplay of Rain World consists of fast paced sneaking and action. The enemies are incredibly difficult (though not impossible) to defeat through direct confrontation. Instead of being easily killable they have been made intelligent enough to be interesting opponents in stealth situations.

The two greats have switched places and so the favourite game of the TIGSource crowd, with 5 points ahead of the runner up, is eigenbom's Moonman, a procedurally-generated adventure game about a strange, nocturnal world where a moonman is summoned by an ancient mollusc. It sends him to the farthest corners of the land to search for fallen moon fragments -- that will power a great star-machine.

Congratulations! :D

Congratulations to all the winners and also everybody whose game got nominated. Thanks also for voting and taking part helping celebrate the great games of this community!

Until next year! Beer!

(I will contact the two winners about how you prefer to receive your prize very soon.)

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2015, 04:02:05 PM »

Yay! Thanks friends, winners and all who voted! Smiley I'll let Joar know and get him in here to say something cryptic and/or inspirational.

Thank you Eigen for the patience to put this all together  Toast Right Toast Right Toast Right

RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »

Congrats, dev blogs add significantly to the time spent involving a game. kudos.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »

Congratulations to Moonman and Project Rain World...  Beer!

Now go finish them cause I wanna play!

raventhe
Level 0

Has a pretty cool rubber cow desk companion.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »

Congratulations guys Smiley Inspiring and a good point of reference for us beginners to dev blogging. Really looking forward to playing!

Apathy Goat (confusing typing game):   Twitter   |   Devblog
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »

Thanks Eigen for running the poll every year, and thanks to everyone for voting for Moonman! There are so many awesome devlogs on TIGs, I'm pretty surprised to be voted so high actually. :D Congrats to RW my devlog nemesis and Crawl and ObraDinn. I'd also like to say that Environmental Station Alpha is one of my favourite devlogs! :D

I'll stick these on my mantlepiece..

Canned Turkey
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »

If you have the money:
http://www.adoramapix.com/customframe/designer/cf58acef-b77e-473d-9205-c18a1ec5c55e?orderId=37618&edit=yes
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2015, 12:29:56 AM »

Congrats guys! I'll be in touch in a few months with your keys for Guild of Dungeoneering. In fact... maybe I can get you guys to playtest and get some feedback Well, hello there!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2015, 01:44:57 AM »

Hand Clap Smiley
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2015, 04:14:11 AM »

Thank you all so much! This is a huge honor, even more so the second time around. The fact that you guys aren't thinking "why are these guys not frigging done yet!?" but instead still appreciate the devlog one year later really is all too nice of you Wink

And congratulations to the other contestants! I'm a huge fan of all of you guys ^^

Yay! Thanks friends, winners and all who voted! Smiley I'll let Joar know and get him in here to say something cryptic and/or inspirational.

Thank you Eigen for the patience to put this all together  Toast Right Toast Right Toast Right
Wow, that's a tall order. Let's see...

~~ Anyone can do anything they set out to - only you can not do none of the things you refrain from attempting! That's how we run our devlog, and you can too! ~~

Hope I struck the right balance there! Keep up the awesome work, tigsource  Hand Shake Left Grin
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2015, 03:06:34 AM »

congrats 2 da dev boyz  Hand Money Right
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2015, 05:26:16 AM »

Thanks for your votes everybody. Keep 'em comin'! I would like to make things a bit more special this year and have little prizes for winners and also something for the voters. A lottery sort of thing. If you have a copy or two of your game you wouldn't mind giving out, please PM me. I could gift a couple of games on Steam or GOG. Wouldn't mind giving out a few Steam Gift Card but sadly that's a US-only thing. GOG doesn't even have that I think. But if you have any other prize ideas, let me know.

Also, mods, can you please-please-please-pretty-please sticky this. Coffee

Nice idea. I'll throw in two keys for Guild of Dungeoneering to the prize pool. You can decide how best to use them!
Just thought of this! Guild of Dungeoneering launched last week. Need to send you guys some keys!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:59:21 AM by gambrinous » Logged

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2016, 03:15:29 AM »

I'd love to see a DevLog Gold of 2015 thread.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2016, 09:57:20 PM »

Tigsource definitly needs a 3rd annual best devlog of the year poll.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »

Perhaps

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic