Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 04:38:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Hello TIG! Take a look at my animations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hello TIG! Take a look at my animations!  (Read 767 times)
mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:20:03 AM »

Hello TIG! This is my first post ever woohoo!

This is my second month into pixel art and game developing, below is a knight character I've done for an action game with a focus on different combat style I am working on. Please let me know what I can do to make it smoother and generally better, I know there's a ton of room for improvement (I was especially confused on shading and all).

Here is him running:

Attacking:

Idling:

WIP Enemy (this is just here to give you a sense of game style, all from old submission)

Thank you all and lots of love!

TL;DR : "Is it good?"

[This is a bonus discussion thingy: I was going to create a character less advanced then the armored knight (junior...knight?) so it can level up to the current character since my game focuses on combat and character progression, any idea how I can draw a "junior knight"...?]

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »

The stab attack is good, but the swinging attack looks like it needs more forward "push" to it, if that makes sense. Leaning in, leg position... the front leg should be directly below the shoulders, and a bit more forward lunge in position. Enemy needs a bit more forward lunge, judging by it's footspeed, too.

I smell a fun game happening here.

a slow painful death
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »

arm pumping while running exists to provide momentum and balance while rotating your torso, so swinging your arm while keeping the torso locked looks weird
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 02:22:45 PM »

Feels like there's too much head movement in the head during the run, and way too much movement in general in the idle, those are usually a little more subtle.

mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »

The stab attack is good, but the swinging attack looks like it needs more forward "push" to it, if that makes sense. Leaning in, leg position... the front leg should be directly below the shoulders, and a bit more forward lunge in position. Enemy needs a bit more forward lunge, judging by it's footspeed, too.

I smell a fun game happening here.
Thanks for the feedback baconman, from your username I can see great men think alike  Wink
As for the attack animation, I will see what I can do to make it more natural!

I am currently trying to develop a 2d game with responsive combat (like MH and Souls series) and interesting enemy (like Castlevania series before it gone to shit 3d) and character progression system like fire emblem (villager - soilder - paladin/heavy knight, etc.). So, in my mind it will be a fun game if I have enough time to finish it lol...

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »

arm pumping while running exists to provide momentum and balance while rotating your torso, so swinging your arm while keeping the torso locked looks weird

Hello a slow painful death (nice name), I am trying to minimize the arm movement since the guy is trying to hold his shield to protect his body even when running, is that what you mean or are you pointing at some other things? Let me know and thank you for your feedback!

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »

Feels like there's too much head movement in the head during the run, and way too much movement in general in the idle, those are usually a little more subtle.

Thanks for the feedback Oroboros! Yeah I just realized he seems like he is on crack when running, will try to fix that... As for idle, since my canvas is only 64*64, any "small" change will result in a dramatic fashion. Do you think it will look better if I only animate the sword and shield?

DevLog
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »

I think the main problem is that the animation is way too poppy and mechanical in the idle, making your knight feel more like a robot rather than a knight. The up and down is too extreme, the head movement is too drastic - I think just toning it down a little will help tie it in better with the other animations.

mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:03:14 PM »

I think the main problem is that the animation is way too poppy and mechanical in the idle, making your knight feel more like a robot rather than a knight. The up and down is too extreme, the head movement is too drastic - I think just toning it down a little will help tie it in better with the other animations.

I see what you mean Oroboros, I think I will just get rid of the head movement in general (or reduce it by 50%) and focus more on the weapon and shield (and potentially a cape...). Thanks for the suggestion! I will post it once I get it done!

DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic