Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 02:55:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesNoiseless mound (Amiga ish)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Noiseless mound (Amiga ish)  (Read 10475 times)
wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »

Its going to be a cross between a scolling beat em up and an adventure game in an amiga style.

more soon
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:03:13 PM »

Nice name.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 02:45:51 PM »

hooray for amiga games! (i do miss thee so)

is this gonna be anything like DARKSEED?Huh??

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »

I was thinking this compo was missing some 16-bits computer games (I was thinking more of the atari ST as the amiga has not enough graphic restrictions to make it interesting) (16 colour digitalizations for the win! )

And I find the name arousing  Embarrassed

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:28:41 AM »

my work in progress does look alot like darkseed i guess its down to me drawing and scanning my back ground images in. I choose amiga because i had one and thats where some of my fav gaming experiences were had. Grin
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 04:29:48 AM »

Any screenshot to circulate ?

I can't way seing this SilentHill'ish Amiga version of yours !
What do you write the game with ? Any specific engine ?
Running on a PC or smthing else ?

Awannaknow :D

wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:23:32 PM »

It will be writen in blitzmax. im hand drawing the backgrounds and keyframes for the sprites. I will have screen shots soon. but its just placeholder stuff at the moment until ive coloured the backgrounds.

it will be avalable for windows and linux and maybe mac if i can get a friend to compile it for me.  Beer!
wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

very work in progress background lots of clean up and detail to add. what you cant see is a dithered fog which im almost happy with, it does make it look a bit closer to the original.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:26:33 AM by wormfood » Logged
Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 05:40:50 PM »

That looks cool "wormfood".  Damn, I wish I could do pictures (and emails)
wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 12:56:07 AM »

ive taken another look at some amiga screenshots and ive desided to start again with the colouring and do the dithering by hand, its the only way i can get the classic banding and it neeeds to be 32 colours to look "amiga ish".
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 07:24:04 AM »

One interesting thing with 16-bit computers' graphics, is that you can just draw them at whatever resolution/colour you want, and then downsize them in a graphic editor (preferably with a crappy algorythm) and it will look like the "real thing"  Tongue

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »

Technically speaking, if you wanna go for something that looks like running on an Amiga, you should restrain yourself to a palette of 32 colors, ideally in 12bits (4 bits / 16 values per component). One could even imagine that the background uses 24 colours, and the main character has a reserved palette of 8 colours (7 actually, as the last one is for transparency).

One nice thing, could be to post your pictures as GIF files instead of JPEG. That could really suit the original palettised look Smiley

Sounds promising, anyway, Can't wait to see Pyramid Head :D

wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 10:38:56 AM »

ok ive gone back and started colouring using a 32 colour palette ill keep at lest 8 colours for characters. its getting there i like the car more now just got to do the dent in the front and the seats etc. ill durty up the road etc when ive finish filling in the colours, its takes ages doing this by hand its a wonder games ever got finished  Grin

the shot ive posted is a jpeg but i will not use jpeg in the final game.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:42:34 AM by wormfood » Logged
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »

you could always make the game in HAM mode:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?game_id=1098

UNIVERSE had around 180 or so colours on screen. Darkseed had only 16, just digitised photos by the looks of it with some redraw worked into it.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 11:05:19 AM »

Problem with HAM is you'd have to wait three pixels of the rasterizer for the palette to change...  :D  You'd have to simulate that odd sideways blur!

Is that screenie in 640x480?  The Amiga could only do 16 cols in that mode.

Like astrofa says the palette is 12 bit  (= 4 bit per pixel = 2^4 = 16 shades of RGB instead of 256 so you'd have to restrict cols to 1/16s of our modern 256.)

Looking forward to your take on SH though!

wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 07:24:46 AM »

ive learn alot about the limits of the amiga by doing this, the ham node was almost never used as i beleave it was hard to use on anything more than a still image, I could add the letters AGA to the name but i guess thats cheating a little i had a a1200 and the only AGA software i had was deluxe paint, the screen shot is a work in progress and will be scaled down as required when finish. i may have the option of an high colour and high res after the compo if it plays well.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 07:33:50 AM »

You could try some nice copper bars (with simulated overscan for added realism Smiley)

wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 01:09:32 AM »

Angry missed the deadline, i had alot more on than i thought at work this weekend so no time to fix a large problem with my games scrolling and i havent finished my character sprites. I will continue to make my point n click. but i wont release a demo until ive replaced one of the sprites
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:31:25 AM by wormfood » Logged
captainbinky
Level 0

My dog's got no nose...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 01:55:08 AM »

Angry missed the deadline

You know that the deadline's been moved to 7th Sept don't you?  Grin
Still got a few days yet...  Beer!

wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 02:22:02 AM »

moved till the 7th? thats a spot of luck  Beer!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic