Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: NESIA

May 09, 2024, 08:48:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinesspay first or later?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: pay first or later?  (Read 1082 times)
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:53:24 AM »

I'm currently in touch with an artist to help me out on my game, and while we have almost reached an agreement on payment, I am unsure whether I should pay him first, half now, half when done or all when it's complete.

For the most part I am happy with paying him the fee now, so I guess this is more a general common practice question.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:07:31 AM »

I'd go half now, half when it's done.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Attila0413
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »

Well, I usually get paid when I finish a job, but In some cases I had the half/half solution, which I think is the best solution.

I'd definitely not go with the "pay first" solution, as it may lead to a lack of motivation

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:23:19 AM »

For me, the standard is about 1/3 now, 2/3 when it's done.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
@Alex@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:41:24 AM »

Now I'm no artist but when I do do freelance work I tend to go by a sprint system. This way the freelancer doesn't just get some money up front nor have to wait for payment to long as a the total sum trickles down. We tend to agree on what makes a sprint e.g. accomplishing X and Y then when that is done I get paid based on the proportion of the work it was. I think it works out better for both parties, you don't have to stump out all or even a large part of the cash immediately and your artist knows you will pay them for the work they have done after the first payment which could be quite early to build up a bit of confidence.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 04:31:34 AM »

I paid per milestone, which can be half or one third, depending on the amount of work.

Usually the work isn't that much and I go with I pay half of the total price at first, and when I got everything and there is nothing to fix, I pay the last half.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic