Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 12:12:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to earn £12,000 in one year from game development?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: How to earn £12,000 in one year from game development?  (Read 21341 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »

i remember why i dont keep my devlog on this site...

people can be... surprisingly, brutally honest :\

(well I liked energy island conquest)  Smiley
better than getting no feedback at all I guess

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »

make one that sells for money so you can buy her clothes and stuff

She's well taken care of.  I'm a full time software dev, currently in Asp.net mvc land (C#), did java/tomcat stuff before this.  She has pretty much everything she could reasonably want. 55 inch tv, ps3, new iphone, literally several closets full of clothes (we have a lot of closets in our place).  She has a nintendo ds but hasn't picked it up lately.  She didn't seem interested in the 3ds.
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »

i remember why i dont keep my devlog on this site...

people can be... surprisingly, brutally honest :\

(well I liked energy island conquest)  Smiley
better than getting no feedback at all I guess

true true.

then again if i quit my day job working at ross to become an indie game dev, kicked out of my moms house for following a deadbeat dream and making games from the public library's 1990's IBM computers only to find that when i post my game here its not so popular

:\

She's well taken care of.  I'm a full time software dev, currently in Asp.net mvc land (C#), did java/tomcat stuff before this.  She has pretty much everything she could reasonably want. 55 inch tv, ps3, new iphone, literally several closets full of clothes (we have a lot of closets in our place).  She has a nintendo ds but hasn't picked it up lately.  She didn't seem interested in the 3ds.

you're not planning on having any daughters, are you? :\

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »

Ah, casual sexism. Just another reminder not to stick around these parts...
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2012, 10:35:26 PM »

:\

hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »

Sorry, was in a bad mood at the time. I do not haet you. Really.
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2012, 04:54:14 AM »

Huh?  What did I miss?  Where was the sexism?
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2012, 06:00:44 AM »

There was a bit of a sugar daddy vibe in some of the last posts...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:41 AM »

I like how buying things for someone you love because you can is sexist.  Not that it matters, but we've been together since I was a college freshman.  I've been out of college longer than I was there.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2012, 06:54:34 AM »

I know. It was just worded a bit like "just buy her some stuff and she'll be happy". No biggie.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:41 AM »

I like how buying things for someone you love because you can is sexist.  Not that it matters, but we've been together since I was a college freshman.  I've been out of college longer than I was there.

i think the sexist part was assuming women like clothes more than men do, or in general the first thing that came to your mind when women were mentioned was "clothes"

if the positions were in reverse, say, if he were a female saying that her boyfriend doesn't enjoy her games, would you say "just use the money to buy him some clothes and he'll be happy"?

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »

Come on Arowx, jump in and tell us something so we can get back on topic.
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »

so how does one earn £12,000 in one year from game development

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »

Even failure is valuable if you learn from it, it can be more valuable than success if you share it with others.  I spent several months on a game and got 4 sales in the year since it was released.  $4.99 each.. so.. without doing currency..  I just need to make 2 games like that per day!  Come back arowx we miss you (in the non creepy way).
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2012, 06:37:37 PM »

I like how buying things for someone you love because you can is sexist.  Not that it matters, but we've been together since I was a college freshman.  I've been out of college longer than I was there.
IMO the comment about sexism wasn't directed at you but #Sharp. Specifically, this part.

Or just get a girlfriend like mine.  She's not afraid to say my games suck.  (after several games I have yet to make one she liked, maybe the next one)

Implying that becaues she's a woman, she think your game suck and would think otherwise if you can buy her new clothes from said games.

Anyway, back to topic.

I've heard from hippocoder, a veteran at Unity forum, that you can make decent money from just making 'decent looking clones' for one - two years. But that was long time ago(last year?) I don't know if it's still true or not, considering there's a lot of competition on mobile market I guess it's unlikely. I think that was what he did and considering his apps are really high quality stuffs so at least it isn't some random guys speculating.

I also read from GreyAlienGames' blog that casual games still make money. He makes  match-3 games  and they are doing well. So while mobile market is crowded and very competitive, the desktop market has become less competitive and a safer way to release casual games.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »

So the pixel games does sell well?. I'm doing rpg game wich is use pixel graphich and i really want make money because masterpiece Rpg games takes very much time and I dont really want make 5 years long game without any profit. If the game is really masterpiece does the ghrapich really matter anymore? Pokemon has pretty shitty ghrapich but the gameplay is pretty good and its sales like a shit..I know that pokemon good sales due to advertising but it is  still use a pixel..

Really I think that a good sales due to the quality of the game and advertising and and audiance..
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2012, 06:20:19 AM »

All graphics are based on pixels. If the gameplay is good I would by it, 16-bit graphics can look good.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2012, 07:03:07 AM »

All graphics are based on pixels. If the gameplay is good I would by it, 16-bit graphics can look good.

I know but I heard from someone from there that if you make game.. dont make pixelart game.. I mean pixel 18-16 32 bit game because its does not sell well..
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2012, 08:11:04 AM »

I know but I heard from someone from there that if you make game.. dont make pixelart game.. I mean pixel 18-16 32 bit game because its does not sell well..
bullshit, they sell even better

ppl are charmed by the retro look

IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »

I mean I love 16-32 bit games, but if you do 16-32 bit games you have to make it good. Same with if you would make modern graphics, you have to do it good.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic