Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411602 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 12:19:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceHero Command
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: SpaceHero Command  (Read 105402 times)
Ashkin
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2012, 05:53:19 PM »

Closer ones could be square, as they get farther away the edges get more rounded? Maybe vice-versa.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »

I've tweaked the hues & brightness and it looks clearer now. So the yellow stands out more against the green and the orange and the red is darker. Smiley
JimmyJ
Level 1

Hi!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2012, 06:29:59 PM »

Good to hear, I'm colorblind and the green and yellow in the screenshot are indistinguishable.
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2012, 04:20:48 AM »

So hey, just a noisy asshole with a modest suggestion. Smiley

Feel free to ignore and ridicule, but perhaps there's a few things I may explain:
- No red/green contrast.
- Wider range of colors used. Red is always great to express bad things, but for positive/safety/defense you can also use blue. Not to mention you seem to have picked blue as your team color. Smiley
- Three groups (from *right to left*): full possibilities, good shot, bad shot, no shots. Tried to reflect the actual meaning in the symbols. Groups have distinct colors, but the two middle ones are somewhat close (because they are functionally very similar).

Crawling back under my rock now. Smiley

(← new art twitter)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2012, 06:56:45 AM »

Thanks for those Miguelito. The problem I have is that when you select a tile then the outline shape becomes filled in so the shape looks more like the one on the right. This is one reason why I wanted to use hue and brightness to show the differences.

I could always have a red-blue array of colours as an option as you used below. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »

Ohh.. that's colourful!

Now, we come to select a unit.. and this is where the interface increases in complexity. Here you can see that I've moved away from a complex button GUI design for a complex visual GUI overlay. What I want to get away from is a button heavy interface and especially one where you have to manually calculate Action Point / Time Units in your head to see what you can do or not.

Instead if you look at the screenshot below, you will see that for our selected unit the outlined squares are now filled in, and show the actions possible in that destination square. The lighter arrows over some of those squares shows the path toward the current destination square.

On the destination square you will see another set of 8 directional triangles arrayed around it. I call this a 'compass cursor' and it breaks down the actions within that tile so you can see the actions possible if you moved to that cursor and turned in any direction. Here you can see that all the triangles are orange apart from the one facing East. What this means is that I can face in any direction and still be able to fire an auto-shot (orange), AND if I faced East I could also fire a snap shot (yellow) as well. This lets me judge whether it's worth facing East and having a better chance of hitting an enemy, or facing diagonally and covering both directions of actions, but with less chance of success.

After using this system for a short time (as I have done with testing) you can quickly see where you can move to and still be able to cover corridors & areas with opportunity fire.

Finally in this screenshot.. the larger Green Triangle within the tile is your mouse cursor which changes from the normal white arrow when you select the unit. This shape indicates the direction between your current destination and your selected unit (i.e. the direction your unit would turn to look at this destination square). The colour is taken from the smaller directional triangles around your selected unit, and again indicates the actions possible.

So, if I click with the left mouse button on the highlighted square the player will walk to that destination. If I click with the middle mouse button instead then the player will turn to look in that direction without moving, (in the same way you could right click in X-Com and look that way). Pressing the rght mouse button and moving the mouse will pan around the screen.

Yes, it's quite complicated at first, but once you are used to the system it lets you move, turn and plan your actions very quickly without trying to juggle numbers in your head or press multiple buttons to switch states.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »

Much clearer. Looking cool. I need to go play UFO: Alien Invasion when I get the time.
JimmyJ
Level 1

Hi!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »

The color revision is great, my colorblindness doesn't impair things anymore.  Gentleman
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »

Colours are working great now, nice improvement.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2012, 11:07:23 PM »

Looking incredibly good!

How about adjusting the colored circle of arrows wo the color of the marker below? At the moment there's orange arrows around an acid yellow marker, personally think it would improve readability even more if the directional arrows used color to communicate your actions as well.

Oh, and Captain Bromuale is kinda screwed, right? Sad

(← new art twitter)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2012, 12:22:53 AM »

Miguelito: I'm not quite following you.. the directional triangles do have different colours depending on the actions possible in that direction, as does the larger mouse cursor one in the middle. Is that what you meant? If not, could you please explain again? Smiley
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2012, 07:04:37 AM »

This here, the bottom one of the two rows. Sorry about the shoddy MSPaint sketch.
Notice how the eight directional arrows reinforce the color of the square marker?

But when you say you're doint that already, then sorry to bother you with that. Smiley

(← new art twitter)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »

Oh I see! Well it's yellow in the screenshot because one direction allows you to fire a snap-shot instead of an auto-shot. As a snap-shot is higher in the 3 shots ranking, the whole square is yellow to show that this is possible in at least one direction.

If it was the other way round then the player would think that no directions would let him do a snap-shot unless he moved over the square and saw a different situation when the coloured triangle (Compass Cursor) appeared.

Does that make sense? Smiley
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »

Makes sense to me.

Might I suggest using a color other than green for the big cursor triangle? It's kind of visually confusing, given that green has a specific meaning in the rest of the GUI elements surrounding it.

Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »

What are the purpose of the green arrows around Capt. Whatsisname?
Will they always be green in every direction?

I'm just going to say again that this looks really fun.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »

The small triangles around your 'Captain' indicate the actions possible once you turn in that direction. At the start of a move they will be green, but you might move to the destination tile in the screenshot, after which the triangles will be the same as those shown in the Compass Cursor.

Does that make sense?
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2012, 06:20:37 PM »

OHHH... Ok. Yeah. That definitely makes sense. Sorry. Facepalm
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »

There's an interesting video discussion with the designer for the new X-Com on GameInformer's website where he says that they did have a build with Time Units in it, but decided that their system of Move+Action worked better.

Interesting! We need something playable to see what we think (as the game playing public). It doesn't sound like it gives as many possibilities to me though..

I'll stick with the Time Units (although represented visually).. Wink
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:26 AM »

Not much to show at the moment.. my day job is busy. Anyway, mostly thinking about the design for the interface. I'm also going to look at putting line of sight viewing in soon, the next step to getting something playable.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »

Ok, I've been trying different ideas for indicating the direction you would face it when you move the mouse cursor around the screen. Currently I think it works better if I make the triangle indicator around the selected unit (for the relevant direction) pulse / flash to white.

This seems to look cleaner so far..
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic