Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:35:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGuidance about choice of engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Guidance about choice of engine  (Read 2584 times)
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2010, 01:49:33 AM »

I know there are loads of threads about the different engines, but I would like to hear some advice from people who have used one or more of the engines in one place, whether it be praise of an engine, slating another, or a comparison between 2, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Things we're looking for:
- ease of use, but not oversimplicity, I've played with rpg maker before and it is very limited in what it can produce, so not something like this
- multiple platforms, being able to deploy to mac, linux and windows would be useful, but not completely essential, I would willingly sacrifice this and have the game windows only in favour of ease of use
- a level designer, I need multiple physical layers, not just graphical, a built in editor would be awesome, but a means of easily making our own would be good (probably better)
- realtime, no turn based rounds or combat so typical roguelike engines are unsuitable

Lastly I would like some advice as to whether to make the game in 3d or 2d, considering in 3d we could simply have a fixed 3rd person camera, then the multiple layers and physics would be easier to do instead of adapting a 2d engine to incorporate multiple layers and pseudo-3d physics.  But then we would need a good 3d engine to build on and would have the added effort of 3d modelling.
Really this is a question of whether it would be easier to adapt a 2d engine, or to put the extra effort in to use a 3d engine.

As I say, any comments greatly appreciated Smiley
Yshaana
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:05:47 AM »

Well, I would probably tell you to try out Unity 3d, but you didn't really tell us your skill-set.

Unity is very robust engine (quite surprising actually), it will let you create builds for PC, MAC, Browser and Iphone in an instant, it has great realtime features, a robust editor and if you know any C#, you can make it do some vey nifty stuff.

If you don't know any programing though, I would stick to game makers and such...

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 05:00:27 AM »

When I read your post carefully it appears your looking for an cookiecutter-engine as opposed to some libraries (in language X),  is that right?

i guess so , the title and all..

Since your looking for an engine to do the hard work, i think it will be very hard for you to adapt that engine to your own specific wishes, (you'd have to grasp the inner workings before you can modify) (assumption made)

And since your already thinking about 3d, i'd say make the effort and get it in there quickly.

I am not aware of engines anymore, so i'd say Blitzmax + minib3d (or any other 3d library.)
or when it is browser usage you want Unity .
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 05:06:03 AM by nikki » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 05:13:51 AM »

YOu must use C++ if you are a real programmer. "Game engines" and "makers" are templates and your game will be unprofessional if you use them.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:35:15 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I am looking at Unity at the moment, in terms of skill level, I have a basis in coding so can pick up new languages with relative ease.

@nikki - yeah, I kinda figured I may need to do some core mods if I use an existing engine, which means that the source would need to be accessible, I think unity has this.

@moi - pretty narrow minded there, you clearly don't know much, nor much about things people have made in game engines, try looking at some of the stuff made in UDK, quake engine or things like spelunky in game maker. There are some good engines out there that people make some excellent games in so don't bundle them all away
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »

YOu must use C++ if you are a real programmer. "Game engines" and "makers" are templates and your game will be unprofessional if you use them.

Pro tip: Never mind moi's one-liners. As far as I know, it's impossible to tell if he's serious.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:05:12 AM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 06:03:52 AM »

i'm pretty sure he's sarcastic there

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 06:05:46 AM »

Hm, yeah, I think so too.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 06:26:06 AM »

I'm assuming you're aiming for something akin to Zelda, since you mention RPG Maker and that it should be realtime. I use Unity for 3D stuff and Construct for 2D games. Construct is easy to get into and a good tool. But whichever program/method you decide to go with, all of them require being able to think like a programmer. Even though Constructs event sheets are easier to understand and program than proper coding, the theory behind it is the same.

If you are not in any way experienced in working with 3D I personally would advice doing 2D before taking on a 3D project. Mostly because the added dimension, physics and camera will be alot more difficult to manage than pure 2D. Not to mention the actual content aspect of 3D. You'd need meshes, textures and bones and animation. You can of course make things simpler by doing 2.5 and using sprites in a 3D world.

Unity has the advantage of browser plugins and mac/win executables. However, it requires real coding. I'd advise going with Unity JavaScript if you go 3D.

Construct is as said, easy to get into and has some really good clever functions. There's also room for Python coding, though I don't use it myelf.

Both of those are free and great tools, but it all comes down to if you're going to do 3D or 2D. 3D is more work, but also gives some versatility (easier to redo animations, any form of gameplay is doable).

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 07:42:48 AM »

@inkbot - so in terms of 2.5d (which is where the project is aiming really) would you suggest trying to use consturct and add some 3d aspects, or to use unity, and simplify it (fixed camera etc.)

Bear in mind that the nature of what we're going for is kind of zelda-esque (not that it would play like that, but I think that sums up what I mean quite well)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 07:43:45 AM »

Regarding your requirement: UNITY3D FREE

inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 08:35:35 AM »

If you're going 2.5D I suggest going with Unity. Construct does have some 3D capabilities but it is specifically designed for 2D games so there's no real way of implementing 3D other than some few very limited features.

The great thing with Unity is the ease of importing assets to the engine. Pretty much every standard audio/image/mesh format is supported.

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 08:53:34 AM »

@moi - pretty narrow minded there, you clearly don't know much, nor much about things people have made in game engines, try looking at some of the stuff made in UDK, quake engine or things like spelunky in game maker. There are some good engines out there that people make some excellent games in so don't bundle them all away

Hehe, you should be aware of that most conversations here contains lots of meta-talk. He wasn't speaking to you but to the other denizens, probably in referral to the GM and SDL threads in the Technical forum atm. Welcome to TIG.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »

@mikademus - right, I'm getting used to it a bit Tongue

@inkbot - thanks for the tips, unity it is I think Smiley

I'll post a devlog once I have anything to show.
Yshaana
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 10:14:33 AM »

I would say good choice, but it might be because we are using it too Wink I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 12:38:16 PM »

I try to turn all threads into an art thread.
There are way too many thread about engines. There are at least 3 going on right now!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 04:31:22 AM »

I try to turn all threads into an art thread.
There are way too many thread about engines. There are at least 3 going on right now!

I have all the threads Atosureddo please enable. How can Sureddoenjin. Or, at least three, or I can use?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic